General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

stereo question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 08:39 PM
ahgrafx

Default stereo question

thank you guys for the help. I plan on hooking the subs up to the new amp. wondering if it is possible with only 4 speaker output to have the rear speaker running too. like be splitting the front speakers to go to the rear too? do you know where the factory amp is? i thought it was that way to tchambers with the speaker wires but no all of them have a match.
damn it im frustrated
I think i am just going to have to cut them all and start rubbing on the battery. wondering will this still work when it is going through the amp? will it blow the amp? the chain is battery (to test) speaker wire factory amp thenspeaker wire then rear speaks
Old 12-03-2003, 08:59 PM
whitelightning
1st Gear Member

Default stereo question

You can use the amp, just parallel it off of the rear speakers, just splice into the wires at the rear speakers and run them to the amp. THis should work fine and it will still power the rears the same as before but will also send signal to your new amp too. This will allow you to run the new amp and still power your rear speakers as well. I am not sure where your amp is as I had a mach 460, this has 2 amps on each side of the trunk and another mounted to the hump under the 2 factory decks. If you are just adding a new amp and subs, don't worry about the factory amp so much, just get the signal for the new amp from the back speakers, and take a deep breathe its not that bad!!!
Old 12-03-2003, 09:05 PM
ahgrafx

Default stereo question

I only nave one converter that goes from speaker wire to rca's. i plan on taking the wires that go to the rears and using the converter and take the rca's to the 1 and 2 channel but then the rears dont work. I dont quite understand the parallel thing? i will only have 4 wires coming from the deck then, only for the fronts.
is this right?
Old 12-03-2003, 09:16 PM
whitelightning
1st Gear Member

Default stereo question

If you have a convertor that is good. Take the wires that go to the back speakers and run them to the convertor. Then take the RCA's to the amp. this will allow you to run two channels of the amp. If you want to use the other 2 channels you can put "y" adapters on the RCA's to give you 4 RCA's. This will allow you to use all 4 channels of the amp. However I would chaeck to see if the amp is capable of being run in 2 channel mode. If it is then I would use it to power the subs, I assume you are running 2 subs? This leaves the back speakers not working right? By parallelling I mean use the inputs to to convertor and use them to run the back speakers as they were before, and run to the convertor. That is parallel. The easiest way I can think to explain is run the pos. and neg to the speaker and the convertor! for both the left and right side. This should get you up and running. But if you insist on using the amp to power the rear spaekers then you will need to get the "y" adapters. I think this will over power you back speakers though and it will sound like all of your sound is coming from the back ( I hate that)
Old 12-03-2003, 09:25 PM
ahgrafx

Default stereo question

I think im getting you now, i dont plan on running the rears to the amp. but the converter only has 4 inputs for left right pos neg. are you saying to share the inputs to the back speakers and the subs? i appologize if this is frustrating for you i imagine it would be easier if i was sitting at home in front of it.
thanks though
Old 12-03-2003, 09:25 PM
ahgrafx

Default stereo question

the amp has 4 channels
Old 12-03-2003, 09:26 PM
ahgrafx

Default stereo question

if i wasnt dealing with a stock deck it would be much easier im thinkin
Old 12-04-2003, 12:54 AM
whitelightning
1st Gear Member

Default stereo question

Sorry I was gone for awhile. Yes run the rear speakers and the subs from the same wires. What you are doing is running the speakers just as before, only now you are " tapping" into them to send signal to the amp which is powering the sub! the amp is just amplifing the signal you give it and the easiest way in your case is to send it input from the back speakers. If you were running an aftermarket radio this would be easier because you would most likely have dedicated RCA outputs that you could run right to your amp. Don't let that discourage you though, it can be done with the stock radio! Let me know how it turns out!!!!