General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What I should do???

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 10:31 AM
Pierceman123
2nd Gear Member

Default What I should do???

Ok, I bought my 2003 mustang about 2 months ago. And when i bought it it came with a F-ed up rear bumper and a scratched pu hood and a lot of chips on it. My dad and i drove to a dealership and we got a quote on how much it would take to fix it, $1500. So i had an idea that popped pu in my head last night, why not jsut put a body kit on it??? It is less price and it will make my mustang cooler, i think. So i ran the idea to my dad, and he had to think about it, thne he came up to me saying, even if we got the body kit, u have a rare red paint on ur car, and even if we found it, would it cost more to paint all the parts??? So i am asking oyu guys, what do u think i should do??? jsut fix my rear bumber, and hood? Or buy a new body kit for less the money, and try to find the paint and paint it? I don't know how much the paint job would cost, but let me know, thanks and cya.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:52 PM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: What I should do???

A body kit will improve the value, but only if it is painted by professionals. You sound like an amateur. You also said you have chips on the doors, body kit don't fix that. Bottom line, body kit will not be cheaper.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:48 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

A body kit won't improve the value. On a trade in, it might actually hurt the value.

You don't have a rare red color GT, buying the paint will take a simple trip to an auto body supply store. Don't buy a cheap body kit either, the fit and finish is horrible. Urethane kits are the only way to go when you don't want a ricer-boy looking fit and finish.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:14 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Why would you think your paint is "rare"? Is it some kind of custom job?

If it's so rare, how come the shop only wants $1,500 for paint AND labor?

Old 08-24-2005, 04:33 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 4600cc

A body kit will improve the value, but only if it is painted by professionals. You sound like an amateur. You also said you have chips on the doors, body kit don't fix that. Bottom line, body kit will not be cheaper.

HUH????Ya maybe to a ricer its worth more!Dont do it man the only body kit that should be on a stang is a saleen body kit,thats it!Maybe you should have bought a honda if you like body kits
Old 08-24-2005, 06:52 PM
Pierceman123
2nd Gear Member

i ain't really all of body kits, but would u recomend a saleen body kit then?

I didn't mean like rare rare, but when we went to see how much it was ot fix it the guy there said it was a paint they don't put on mustangs anymore.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:16 PM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 99saleen351r
HUH????Ya maybe to a ricer its worth more!Dont do it man the only body kit that should be on a stang is a saleen body kit,thats it!Maybe you should have bought a honda if you like body kits

That's what I meant when I said a body kit. I know of no other garbage, and if you do, then it just confirms my fears, you have a honda in your garage. [] I went "wow" when Dan04 said body kits decrease value of your vehicle. Wow. If that's the case then Stage 1 Roush should cost less than the new stang.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:23 PM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

Now, Pierceman123. It sounds like this is your first or second car?

The thing with young drivers like you is that first cars get either neglected or wrecked. Often. That's how you gain experience. Pouring $1000 on paint job may end up a waste if you wreck it. If this is your first car it will happen.

As far as paint job goes, you should be able to get a quality base coat/clear coat from aftermarket, for around the price your deal quoted you. That's to paint your entire car, not to fix the spots. I'd go with basic color, since it is easier to blend if you ever wreck or scratch.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:26 AM
Pierceman123
2nd Gear Member

It is my first car, People say i a a good driver tho, hopefully i won't wreck i tho :_
Old 08-25-2005, 10:56 AM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 4600cc

Now, Pierceman123. It sounds like this is your first or second car?

The thing with young drivers like you is that first cars get either neglected or wrecked. Often. That's how you gain experience. Pouring $1000 on paint job may end up a waste if you wreck it. If this is your first car it will happen.

As far as paint job goes, you should be able to get a quality base coat/clear coat from aftermarket, for around the price your deal quoted you. That's to paint your entire car, not to fix the spots. I'd go with basic color, since it is easier to blend if you ever wreck or scratch.

I hate when people automaticly think cause its a stang and a kid they will wreck it......Yes it happens but not to everyone!I ve never been in a accident in my life so saying that is stupid!Just cause you crashed doesnt mean everyone will.....And when Dan said that about a body kit he is right it could decrease the value depending on whos buying it....Roush and Saleen are aftermarket Car builders thats why it cost more new.....If you take a stock stang and throw on a kit its not going to be worth anymore because of it....Your paying more for the name Saleen and Roush than anything