General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

03 GT Stumbling issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 07:13 PM
xylandme

Default 03 GT Stumbling issue

Hey guys, New to the forum. I have a 03 completely stock GT. I bought this car back in March and its always had a stumbling issue. Mainly like backing out of a drive it will have an erratic idle and shut off. I also feel it surging while in overdrive with very little fuel demand. {Automatic Trans}I have replaced the TPS and the MAF sensor and no change. Id love some new ideas.... Thanks for the help
Old 12-27-2011, 07:17 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Hm....how many miles are on the car? Have you done routine maintenance things like replacing the fuel filter?
Old 12-27-2011, 07:19 PM
xylandme

Almost 70k on it. No SES light and no stored codes in the computer. I replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the injectors. Its fine on acceleration, it does this only with very low fuel demand.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:24 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

How about the spark plugs?
Old 12-27-2011, 07:32 PM
xylandme

Have not changed the plugs. It doesnt feel like a ignition miss but I guess it could be.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:02 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xylandme
Mainly like backing out of a drive it will have an erratic idle and shut off.
I think your two problems are unrelated. But the idle problem sounds like a bad IAC Valve (Idle Air Control Valve). Get a can of carburetor or fuel injector cleaner, remove the IAC Valve (should be on the air intake somewhere) and give it a good cleaning, let it dry for a couple hours and re-install. If that doesn't work, then it may need to be replaced. Not that expensive and most auto parts stores should carry it. Good luck...
Old 12-30-2011, 06:02 PM
xylandme

Ive already swapped the IAC and still does the same thing. My father in law took a look at it the other night and I couldnt get it to do it outside of the car. I got it in it and put my foot on the brake and got it to do it. Now I am wondering if I have some kind of vacuum issue.....
Old 01-01-2012, 05:54 PM
petrock
4th Gear Member

When you changed the IAC, did you also clean out the air passages in the throttle body that the IAC valve controls? If they are clogged up, you'll get weird behavior too. However, a vacuum leak, down stream of the IAC valve, can also cause this problem. Good luck...
Old 01-01-2012, 06:42 PM
humansieve
1st Gear Member

Is the check engine light on? If so run a scan. BTW love the fact that its totally stock!
Old 01-02-2012, 11:33 AM
xylandme

Yes I cleaned it out as well. Check engine light is not on and never has since I've had it. Does this engine have a MAP sensor? If so does anyone know where its located? Thanks for all the help guys!!

Quick Reply: 03 GT Stumbling issue