General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2001 3.8L Ignition Coil Resistance

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:58 AM
stangonthangs

Default 2001 3.8L Ignition Coil Resistance

Can anyone tell me the ohm measurements (ranges) for both the pins and towers on the ignition coil?
Old 02-24-2012, 05:07 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Contact your local AutoZone. They have the spec sheet on their computer. Came in handy when I was diagnosing an ignition issue on my wifey's '98 mustang. Good luck...
Old 02-24-2012, 10:14 AM
stangonthangs

Yeah, I went to autozone and their books don't have the readings for coils.
Yeah it sounded weird to me, but that's what they told me. They said in their books the last set of resistance codes stop before it gets to my coils. So I thought someone here might know what it supposed to be.
Also which ohm setting on my multimeter for testing the coil pins , coil towers and spark plug wires? Thanks for any and all info.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:37 PM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangonthangs
Yeah, I went to autozone and their books don't have the readings for coils.
Yeah it sounded weird to me, but that's what they told me. They said in their books the last set of resistance codes stop before it gets to my coils. So I thought someone here might know what it supposed to be.
I'm pretty sure the '98 v6 has the same coil as the '01 v6. I know they have the specs for the '98 coil because I got the spec from AutoZone a while ago. I can't remember if it was in the spec for the part or the repair/diagnose instructions sheet they have. Contact your local dealers parts department to make sure the part numbers match first. If they do, then ask the AutoZone peeps to check for a '98.

Originally Posted by stangonthangs
Also which ohm setting on my multimeter for testing the coil pins , coil towers and spark plug wires? Thanks for any and all info.
It all depends on what parts you have installed and their resistance spec. If you don't know the spec, start at the highest setting on your multi-meter and work your way down until you get a good reading.