General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

NEED HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 06:37 PM
99 muscobra

Angry NEED HELP!!

hey guys am a little new to the site but i need some help. I have a 99 cobra and im having some difficulties with it. About 4 mouths ago i was just driving it pretty casually, i was in 5th gear and downshifted to 4th and thats were everything went haywire the entire car shut down and was makin a huge banging sound which i thought was my clutch so me being afraid to start it back up to cause further problems i got a tow home and found out that it was low on oil thanks to my dumb a$$ mechanic. But anyway i let it sit for a few months b cuz of work and now the only way it will start is if i hold the throttle to the floor and it takes a while for it to get going but it wont stay idling by itself i have to be constantly on the gas for it to stay running ive tried several different things: put a new battery cuz the old 1 was dead, i dont have cats so there not clogged, puled the 02 sensors ,checked the pcm and cleaned it, new coil pacs and new plugs, drained the gas and everything out of the lines, checked the pcv valve, checked the relays for the fuel and for the pcm, oh and did an oil change.
I really need some help guys its driving me crazy any input would be great thanks
Old 02-28-2012, 01:44 AM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

if it started banging because of low oil, I would be afraid of more permenant damage to the motor. But get advice from others before you decide to tear the car apart. goodluck
Old 02-28-2012, 08:33 AM
wizwrath

Did you add oil or change the oil? How low was it? Drop the oil and cut open the filter and let us know what you see. When you have to floor it to get it to start, you are effectively shuting down "cold start" command, so it may be flooding the motor. But I think its something more serious then anything else. Also do a compression and also a leak down test (cold and hot) and let us know what you get. Also do you have any CEL codes? check for them also.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:39 PM
99 muscobra

yea i did an oil change im sure there is nothing wrong with the motor itself cuz it does turn over and will run if im constantly on the gas it just wont idel and it runs rough and i did do a compression test and it came up fine and there are no codes being pulled up leaving me to believe that it could be somthing with my fuel system. I kno its not the fuel pump itself and my car does not have a fuel pressure regulator cuz its a 2 way system i was maybe thinking one of my injectors was wide open just dumping fuel into the motor could that be possible?
Old 03-01-2012, 06:38 AM
wizwrath

Very possible, do a leak down and pressure test on your fuel system, you can also check that spark plug for that cylinder and see is its saturated with fuel. Normally you would have fuel inrichment command codes for that cylinder from a O2 sensor code etc. You can also have issues with your ECU too, did you mention you already changed your engine cooant temp sending uint? (the one for the ecu), if not, I would suspect that highly 1st.