General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Brand New Car - Possible Damage

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 03:51 PM
'11GT/CSdude

Question Brand New Car - Possible Damage

Hey Everyone,

On November 2nd, 2011 we purchased a 2011 Mustang GT California Special.
The vehicle had been on the lot for over a year and we got a great deal on it. I can't remember the exact mileage but it was over 250 when we bought it. Another thing was that one of the guys said "Hey! You FINALLY sold that GT/CS!?!"

Recently, we noticed a discoloration in the front and rear bumpers. It is almost a cream white and the rest of the car is snow white. I know that bumpers have slight discoloration because they are plastic, but these 2 are Very noticeable.
We took the vehicle into a Ford Dealer (not the one we bought it from) and they said they have never seen this before. Ford agreed that it was unusual and agreed to paint it.
After we left, we remembered that our Auto Body guy said that he noticed the condenser was bent like a banana when he put on our sticker.
We went back and they looked at the vehicle and said there is evidence that it has been in a wreck. Because of this, Ford is going to void the warranty on the bumpers.

So here is what we found - A bent condenser, discoloration on the bumpers, appears that someone wet sanded the wheel well covers, possible overspray on the condenser "shrad" and on the grill parts. Another major thing that we found is that the grille had, what appeared to be, aftermarket stickers on it. There are 2 that can be seen easily and one that is hidden on the right side. I usually don't see stickers on the grille and when I do, it says - FOMOCO . Not an aftermarket little tiny sticker.

We have went to 3 different dealers and they all say that there is evidence of a small wreck. The ford dealer that we bought it at is denying everything but agrees that something happened. They are saying there is no record of it ever being in a wreck.

Ford does not want to get involved but they are going to send out a representative to check out the car. Ford says that it is all under the dealer, they are not responsible.

If it was just one item on the car, Ford would fix it and we would be on our way. But there is evidence and multiple signs that something happened. Either a minor accident during a test drive or something happened during transport. We also thought that maybe they sold it to someone else, person didn't like it and sent it back; the dealer then sold it back as new. And also, is there ANY way that odometers can be set back these days??

What I want to know is what you guys think. Do you think it could have been in a wreck and they didn't disclose the information? Does anyone with a GT/CS have those stickers on the grille?? Also, the dealer told us the GT/CS grille is a special edition and they have to get a special one. BUT, I have seen this Same Grille on the V6. It is a V6 grille, so it should have Ford stickers on it or no stickers on it at all. What do you guys think? Thanks for the help everyone!

The pictures show the stickers on the grille, wheel well cover, bent condenser, discoloration on the bumpers (hard to see), the V6/GTCS Grille, and possible overspray. Photos are in an album on photobucket

http://s943.photobucket.com/albums/a...tang%20Damage/
Old 06-30-2012, 04:22 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Wow that is ridiculous.
There is a car at a local dealer and a customer or salesman hit the parking rail and dented the front bumper, scuffed the headlight and fog lights. So I wouldn't say that is is unheard of for cars to be damaged before being purchased.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:29 PM
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

I highly doubt that a dealership would tamper with an odometer. If they were caught they would have huge problems. It wouldn't be worth the risk to them at all.
See what the Ford rep says and go from there.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:24 PM
dsslayer1210
1st Gear Member

That's messed up, when did you buy it? I know in MA there are lemon laws and what not that protect the buyer.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:34 PM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

I would threaten to go above them and go to regional management if that exists. All you have to do is scare them a little. Dealerships need special licenses to sell certain models. For example, to sell GT500's a dealer needs a license proving their selling "pedigree." If a lot doesn't sell much, or just sells more trucks than cars, they'll get a license to sell King Ranch trucks, but maybe not GT500's. I would think the GT/CS would be a model requiring a special license to sell.

A dealer will NOT risk any type of license to sell, it means more money for management/salesmen, probably more stuff for the parts department to sell thus making them able to service more vehicles, and probably other incentives. No, I am not a salesmen, I just befriended one at a Ford dealership when we bought my girlfriends car.

Just ask what level of management is above their owner at the dealership and how to get in contact with them, that will probably shake them in their shoes enough to be a little easier to work with.

I would say you got taken on a bit of a ride with this car. GT/CS models usually FLY off the showroom floor. Don't let them say it's not their fault, they sold the damn thing to you! There is absolutely no excuse for them not to know, they have people go over those cars at the dealership and make sure they're good enough to sell. Get yourself some justice!
Old 07-22-2012, 11:59 AM
'11GT/CSdude

Thanks for the help guys. We are in the process of getting a Rep to come out. No matter what happens though, we are definatly getting a new condenser and possibly repainting the bumpers.

Thanks again for the help
Old 07-27-2012, 05:41 AM
Christopher0

Hi dear i need to get a new car for arouns 15-16k any suggestions also car is gonna be used for car pull about four passengers.the car has to be good in the snow and go up mountains.HELP?
Old 07-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Christopher0
Hi dear i need to get a new car for arouns 15-16k any suggestions also car is gonna be used for car pull about four passengers.the car has to be good in the snow and go up mountains.HELP?
Why are you hijacking this thread???? Assuming you deal with foreign parts, buy an Isuzu!
Old 07-27-2012, 01:54 PM
shad2009
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Christopher0
WOW...

to the OP...that sucks, it sounds like somebody in that dealership banged it up and they had somebody fix it...but what's weird to me is that the grille looks exactly like the one from the V6 Club of America edition...i hope the rep can straighten everything out for you...i'd point out every little thing possible to make sure it's right...good luck
Old 07-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by '11GT/CSdude
Hey Everyone,

On November 2nd, 2011 we purchased a 2011 Mustang GT California Special.
The vehicle had been on the lot for over a year and we got a great deal on it. I can't remember the exact mileage but it was over 250 when we bought it. Another thing was that one of the guys said "Hey! You FINALLY sold that GT/CS!?!"

Recently, we noticed a discoloration in the front and rear bumpers. It is almost a cream white and the rest of the car is snow white. I know that bumpers have slight discoloration because they are plastic, but these 2 are Very noticeable.
We took the vehicle into a Ford Dealer (not the one we bought it from) and they said they have never seen this before. Ford agreed that it was unusual and agreed to paint it.
After we left, we remembered that our Auto Body guy said that he noticed the condenser was bent like a banana when he put on our sticker.
We went back and they looked at the vehicle and said there is evidence that it has been in a wreck. Because of this, Ford is going to void the warranty on the bumpers.

So here is what we found - A bent condenser, discoloration on the bumpers, appears that someone wet sanded the wheel well covers, possible overspray on the condenser "shrad" and on the grill parts. Another major thing that we found is that the grille had, what appeared to be, aftermarket stickers on it. There are 2 that can be seen easily and one that is hidden on the right side. I usually don't see stickers on the grille and when I do, it says - FOMOCO . Not an aftermarket little tiny sticker.

We have went to 3 different dealers and they all say that there is evidence of a small wreck. The ford dealer that we bought it at is denying everything but agrees that something happened. They are saying there is no record of it ever being in a wreck.

Ford does not want to get involved but they are going to send out a representative to check out the car. Ford says that it is all under the dealer, they are not responsible.

If it was just one item on the car, Ford would fix it and we would be on our way. But there is evidence and multiple signs that something happened. Either a minor accident during a test drive or something happened during transport. We also thought that maybe they sold it to someone else, person didn't like it and sent it back; the dealer then sold it back as new. And also, is there ANY way that odometers can be set back these days??

What I want to know is what you guys think. Do you think it could have been in a wreck and they didn't disclose the information? Does anyone with a GT/CS have those stickers on the grille?? Also, the dealer told us the GT/CS grille is a special edition and they have to get a special one. BUT, I have seen this Same Grille on the V6. It is a V6 grille, so it should have Ford stickers on it or no stickers on it at all. What do you guys think? Thanks for the help everyone!

The pictures show the stickers on the grille, wheel well cover, bent condenser, discoloration on the bumpers (hard to see), the V6/GTCS Grille, and possible overspray. Photos are in an album on photobucket

http://s943.photobucket.com/albums/a...tang%20Damage/
Get a carfax for your car it will show if the car has ever been registered by someone else (Sold to somone else). If it has then you have proof you are not the first owner.

As for the rest, it's going to be tough to prove it was damaged when you recieved delivery of it if ti wasn't noted on the delivery summary. A buddy of mine had a Chevy Sonoma Pickup he purchased new and after a few months noticed paint was discoloring on the bed rail of the truck. Like something had dropped on it and bend the rail a bit. Anways, long story short, after the dealer refused to do anything, he filed a small claims suit for the maxiumum allowable in Cali at the time ($2500) and at the same time filed a BBB complaint. Took about two months but the dealer paid him for the damages (the amount the damage was said to have devalued the car) plus costs for his time. A little over $3K (2500 court setlement +500 outside of it.). He had summaries from body shops for what they would charge to fix similar problems.

Quick Reply: Brand New Car - Possible Damage