General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What are the wear items I should tend to? 2001 GT Vert

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 05:31 PM
Gadgetech
2nd Gear Member

Default What are the wear items I should tend to? 2001 GT Vert

My car has 190k miles on it and from talking to my Mom (previous owner) it hasn't had the bearings replaced nor bushings possibly. The car tends to wander around and follow ruts in the road and the steering wheel has a little play in it. I checked the lug nuts and they seem okay and she recently had new shocks and struts replaced. I just got the car so this may be normal but I'd imagine with that many miles on the clock it needs some attention that her garage didn't take care of. She had it serviced at a Goodyear and I'm not sure how thorough that particular shop is, maybe they can give me a detail of work done. I'm new to dealing with a car that has this many miles and while I'm not afraid to try the work myself, I'm unsure where to start.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:28 PM
Gadgetech
2nd Gear Member

Wow, a lot of views but no opinions?
Old 01-20-2013, 09:28 AM
ZombieHuntr
1st Gear Member

190k?! Stay from from Goodyear. They are a tire shop. Not a mechanic shop. Find a real automotive repair shop. Sheesh...... anyway, at that milage definitely start lookin at replacing all the rubber bushings in the suspension. Energy suspension makes a master bushing kit for our cars for around 150-200 bucks or so. It will definitely tighten up that loose feeling. But it will also stiffen up your ride a good bit to. If you don't want a rougher ride, just start replacing the bad bushings one by one with OEM pieces.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:29 AM
ZombieHuntr
1st Gear Member

Oh, and asset of subframe connectors and a upper strut tower brace will also help a lot considering its a vert
Old 01-20-2013, 09:40 AM
SKAR

Check the front end and good tires are a good idea.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:15 AM
Gadgetech
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I don't have a great opinion of Goodyear, I'll be looking for an Indy. Thanks for the info I'll check that out. Tires will be due in probably 4k or so and this is just a project so I am probably okay with stiffening it up, it handles like a dog now.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:24 AM
ZombieHuntr
1st Gear Member

if you go with the energy suspension kit, choose black bushings instead of red. they tend to squeak less.

for some reason, once the lube that is used to install the bushings starts to wear down, the red ones start having a slight squeal. I've personally never experienced this squeal with the black ones. I don't know why it's like that. Alot of my friends that are in the import crowd have experienced the same things with their civics, integras, etc....
Old 01-21-2013, 11:51 PM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Check the up and down along with pushing the car side to side. That will give some indication on the suspension in terms of possible squeaks. It'll let you hear the shocks/struts if they have anything to say. Replace all your fluids, give the tyranny and coolant system a good flush. Thermostat maybe too, if its in easy reach. This might sound like alot but its good to be thorough.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:46 AM
SKAR

The black bushings have graphite in them which makes them quieter.

Id do tires before bushings, bushings install will cost about the same as tires if you can't do it yourself.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:06 AM
Gadgetech
2nd Gear Member

A guy that I work with and I can get in his Dad's garage and lift it up so bushing changes shouldn't be too bad. I'm up for doing it myself.

Quick Reply: What are the wear items I should tend to? 2001 GT Vert