General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Expensive oil change!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 03:37 PM
eagle42101

Default Expensive oil change!

I got a flyer in the mail from the local Ford dealer for an oil change for 35.95. looked like a good deal so I went over and got in line for my oil change. While I was waiting in the lounge, the service writer came in and said I needed an alignment and it would cost 119.95, I needed my brake fluid flushed which would cost me 119.95 and I needed my injectors cleaned which would cost me 49.95. I own a 2014 Mustang convertible V-6 with a little over 40,000 miles on it. I was flabbergasted but politely told them thanks but no thanks, but go ahead and change the oil for now. I wonder how many people fall for this sort of scam and get this kind of work done at inflated prices. I had high hopes that I had found an honest dealer but I guess they are all cut from the same fabric. An hour later I paid them 42 and change (35.99 +tax) and left.

Bob in Bowling Green, Ky
Old 02-03-2016, 05:30 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Thats how mechanics make money. Yes those prices seem a little high but they are recommended services from Ford. The injection cleaning stuff is a lot a b/s but the brake fluid is recommended to be changed every 3 years. As for the alignment, do that when you get new tires or have tracking or tire wear issues.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:41 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by eagle42101
I got a flyer in the mail from the local Ford dealer for an oil change for 35.95. looked like a good deal so I went over and got in line for my oil change. While I was waiting in the lounge, the service writer came in and said I needed an alignment and it would cost 119.95, I needed my brake fluid flushed which would cost me 119.95 and I needed my injectors cleaned which would cost me 49.95. I own a 2014 Mustang convertible V-6 with a little over 40,000 miles on it. I was flabbergasted but politely told them thanks but no thanks, but go ahead and change the oil for now. I wonder how many people fall for this sort of scam and get this kind of work done at inflated prices. I had high hopes that I had found an honest dealer but I guess they are all cut from the same fabric. An hour later I paid them 42 and change (35.99 +tax) and left.

Bob in Bowling Green, Ky
sounds like Jiffy lube, some yrs back, before i started to change my own oil, they told me I had a lisence plate light out, I asked them how much to replace it, and they said $10.00, I declined and went to a local parts place and picked one up for$1.00 and did it myself. LOL
Old 02-03-2016, 08:05 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boss_Hotrod
Thats how mechanics make money. Yes those prices seem a little high but they are recommended services from Ford. The injection cleaning stuff is a lot a b/s but the brake fluid is recommended to be changed every 3 years. As for the alignment, do that when you get new tires or have tracking or tire wear issues.
Are you out of your mind? he has a 2014 Mustang. NONE of those BS upsells should be needed on his car.

Last edited by jz78817; 02-04-2016 at 05:23 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:19 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

To be fair, it depends on the condition of each item. 40,000 miles is more than most 2014 owners have managed to rack up yet.

If the tires are fairly new, it would be wise to have them aligned properly. But if they're due to be replaced soon, I'd hold off on an alignment until new ones are installed. Brake fluid? That depends on its condition too. If the car has been tracked, or has seen otherwise severe use, it very well might be time to change it.

At any rate, I find it odd that they suggested an alignment. Did they put it on an alignment rack to change the oil? I mean, you can't eyeball that sort of thing to see if it's out of spec (unless it's REALLY bad). It sounds like either the alignment is needed ASAP, or this is indeed a shady upsell.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:40 AM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
Are you out of your mind? he has a 2014 Mustang. NONE of those BS upsells should be needed on his car.
I never said his car needed it now did I. I stated that those services are recommended at certain times. Do the math. 3 years on brake fluid, needs to be done in 2017. Guess what its not 2017 is it. The others dont have time limits but other determining factors that I listed in the first post.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:47 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Sounds like the Firestone shop near me.

Don't listen to them.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:31 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

I don't think they were trying to rip you off. Sure, they were trying to make a buck but there is no shame in that game. Caveat Emptor.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:17 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Injector cleaning sounds like its just something to make money on. If your car was old and had mileage in six figures thats different..

Years ago I was at a dealer for an oil change and they told me my battery terminals were bad and they could replace for 45 bucks....I've never heard or seen that before. I passed and the vehicle was just fine afterwards.

Last edited by 99GTvert; 02-04-2016 at 02:18 PM. Reason: pissing out the window and ****ting out the windowa are two, different things!
Old 02-04-2016, 03:19 PM
GTOGreg

I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago. I was going to take the wife up to Sedona, (about a 2.5 hr trip from Phoenix with some pretty extreme elevation changes) for the weekend, and wanted to change the oil before the trip. I went to the dealership for an oil change the day before, and after they started the oil change, the tech comes out and says my power steering fluid was black and needed to be flushed, my fuel filter needed to be changed, and my drain plug was worn and needed to be changed. I left the dealership 2 + hours later, and the oil change I went in for cost me over $200.00.

Quick Reply: Expensive oil change!