General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Extended time between regular oil changes question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 05:40 PM
mx6bfast

Default Extended time between regular oil changes question

My wife has a 2014 V-6, and the last oil change was January 21 at 14370 miles. November 5th and she is now around 19500, with an oil life of 23% when I checked last week. We haven't been upgrading the oil when taking it to the dealership, just getting whatever was their "normal" option. Since she is now in a job where she doesn't drive much we are thinking about choosing a better oil option at her next change. Should we spend the money and get a Mobil1 type option since her car won't be used as much? Also since it has been so long since her last oil change, is it beneficial to follow the time since last change vs the mileage driven recommendations? I think I saw to change the oil every 6 months if not driving the car a whole lot.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:10 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

There are literally a million opinions on this, most of them good but still different.

I have 5 vehicles, two Mustangs and three Explorers. I run Mobil 1 EP in each of them w/ Motorcraft (Purolator) filter. They all get changed at 5K or 1 year, whichever happens first. My Sport Trac (dd) and my wife's Explorer occasionally go a little longer, but the above is the schedule I try to stick to. The Mustangs just get it once a year; '67 only gets maybe 1K miles and the '01 generally gets close to 5K miles annually.

I know with the newer Mustangs (and most newer Fords and cars in general) that the change recommendation has been extended out to 7500 or more miles when running a synthetic oil. If you feel cool doing that then I fail to see a problem, I just like to change a little more often.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:43 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

+1 ^^^

Well said....
Old 11-09-2016, 10:43 AM
wgreenlee4
1st Gear Member

The dealership "works" package should be a semi-synthetic. It's good oil. My recommendation for people with their Fords is usually to get the oil changed at the dealer with the works package when the car says to change it or a little earlier. But it's especially important to check the level frequently since you will naturally burn more when going such a long distance. I've found our 2010 Fusion and Milan go about 7100 before the change oil notification comes on. I had it tested once and found it was only a little dirtier than I would have liked hence the "or a little earlier". Many dealers lose money on the works package since they top off your fluids and use the higher grade oil.

Also, the oil change notification should come on after a certain amount of time as well as mileage if I'm correct. Should say in the manual.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:21 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Yes to Mobil1.

I would go at least 6k and probably longer with synthetic and good filter.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:40 PM
C1Forged
Former Sponsor

Oil preference is an age old dispute that will continue on as long as our cars still need it. As for my advice, there are two routes any car owner can go depending on their automotive knowledge, and their ambition.

The first route would be to simply follow a strict dealer recommended cycle, thats always done at your local dealership in order to resolve yourself of any potential blame being placed on you. Dealerships look for loopholes to make money, and if it comes down to it, they've gone that far in the past.

Second route would be to do it yourself. You can create your own change schedule to adhere to, and use your own oil based on your own personal research thats not advice driven. At that point, its all up to you, and therefore it all falls on you.

With that said, I personally go the 2nd route. I used to run Amsoil or Motul in my cars [Amsoil in my Cruze, Motul in my Subaru], using an Wix filter, and OEM filter respectively [Subaru OEM has been tested rigorously by both Subaru, and a number of 3rd party companies, its simply the best filter for a Subaru]. Recently, I made a switch to Schaeffers on my WRX because I like their product, and after contacting a representative, they're sponsoring the car. As for you, I can tell you what I use and recommend all day, however its up to you to do the research, as in the end its your car. Every car reacts differently, and you need to find the best option for your car.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:14 AM
mx6bfast

Thumbs up

Thanks for the feedbacks, just got back in town to read them.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:57 AM
David Young
2nd Gear Member

I buy my oil and filter from Walmart. Mobil 1 and a Motorcraft filter for $45. Change it when you feel the need and what makes you happy
Old 11-30-2016, 04:01 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Remember that even if oil doesn't break down it get pollutants in it over time. I don't believe in running it ridiculously long times. Many manufacturers say synthetic oils cans go 10K miles. If cost is an issue Walmart has a Tech 2000 full synthetic that makes it as cheap as using standard oils considering using it 6000 miles. I used it on a Toyota V-6 & it is still running with 300K miles with one of my relatives. I change synthetic oils at 6000 miles based on nothing but what feels right because I do mostly stop & go driving since I'm retired. If I was commuting long distances each day I would probably feel OK with 10,000 miles!

Just my 2¢... & that's probably what it's worth!
Old 11-30-2016, 06:48 AM
JimC

I look at it this way. The car manufacturer has engineers who design things and determine acceptable limits. The car manufacturer has to replace the engine if it fails following their recommended care guidelines.

The oil change places are in the business of ------------- selling me more product. They aren't concerned about failure of the engine, just me buying more of their stuff.