General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

GT40 Explorer Head Swap Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 12:10 PM
Waferboy
1st Gear Member

Default GT40 Explorer Head Swap Advice

So my kid got the heads and intake off an Explorer and now is sweating the other parts to change. He has an E303 cam to put in it as well but the problem as with most kids is he's out of money.

I'm trying to understand what he can and can not reuse. I am going to get him new springs/seals/shims for the heads, but am wondering about the push rods and lifters. Are these a must, or a nice to have change?

If they can be reused I presume I don't want to switch them around and make sure they stay in the same order. Is there anything that I should do to clean/freshen them up, or should I leave well enough alone.

We're not putting in new rockers, so again just trying to get the absolutes figured out.

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2016, 06:53 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

I believe you can reuse them as long as they're not bent or damaged in any way.

But I'd still use the search feature and dig up old threads that have done exactly what your doing now. They're should be alot of info on this in here somewhere.

DON'T just go by what I remember lol....

Good luck and post back in the Fox section if you have any other questions.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:59 PM
neo8222
4th Gear Member

Push rods are fine to re-use as long as they are cleaned and undamaged (make sure the oil passage is clear of all dirt and debris). The lifters depend on type, since it's a E303 I'm going to assume its a hydraulic roller cam and lifter set. Roller lifters can be re-used after a full inspection for damage (stuck/slow rollers that cause uneven and excessive wear on the roller wheel, etc.. plenty of guides online and in service manuals to inspect them.) Wouldn't hurt to soak them a day or two in fresh oil to free up debris trapped in them and get them cleaned up. Solid lifters on the other hand are worn in to the cam and if you reuse lifters that were from another cam shaft it can cause excessive wear on the lobes and/or lifters and cause a premature failure. (I say can because it's not guaranteed but it has happened before.)