Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Horrible time at the dealership

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 08:12 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Default Horrible time at the dealership

I just came from the ford dealership after test driving a new 05 mustang GT 5 spd, spoiler delete, IUP, red leather, shaker 500, it was black with grey stripes w/ red pin stripes. I went with a friend of mine and waited for 20 min while this oldest salesman in the world checked my DL. At first he wasn't going to let me test drive it saying that they usually don't let cars with "too much power for the traffic at this time of day" out. He then needs to know what options I want and after that physically has to walk the lot to see if he has one available. I asked him why he can't check his inventory ledger and he said "these cars come in and leave so fast that we don't even put them in the system" I had already checked the lot before walking inside so I knew there was only one GT 5spd and it was a Roush sport. After 25 min of him outside wakling the lot and looking at the roush he comes inside and checks with someone and then comes over and says they only have the roush and one getting washed in the back. The one getting washed was the one I listed at the start and he left to go drive it up front. The salesman (250lb) has to accompany me and my friend so the car is definately loaded up. The route he makes me take has a speed limit of 40. I asked if there was a straight away near by or some side empty side streets or curved roads so I can see what the car is capable of. Salesman says "this cars plenty fast, whatever is quoted in the book, this car will do." I only got on it once and I wasn't impressed with the power, but in truth the clutch is way different than my car and the shifter is very notchy and balky in the GT, so I was partly to blame. Also, the saleman wouldn't let me turn TCS off. Went back to the dealership feeling like I took a twenty min joy ride, not a real test drive. My friend and I then listened to the saleman tell us his complete medical history for the next 35 min. This is the last time I tell someone (besides you guys) I am in medical school. I left the dealership totally confused. I love the mustang, I have ever since I could drive, 14 years ago. This is the second 05 mustang GT I have test driven and the second time I felt like I was cheated out of really learning the potential of these cars. My audi S4 has 330hp and when the turbo kicks in it pulls hard (about as hard as a 03 stock cobra - I know because I test drove 2). However, on paper the mustang GT should run the same 1/4 times so why doesn't it feel like it? My question to you guys is how do I properly test drive this car? Did you guys beat on the car during your test drives or did you just buy the car knowing it was much faster. I would just like to have a successful test drive and know I am getting the right car. I am very sorry for the novel length post, just frustrated is all.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:34 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Horrible time at the dealership

Hmm, a bit weird of a post... Though when I test drove mine I had a younger salesman with me and although they don't really enjoy it when you 'beat' on it... persay... but... what are they going to do if you give it a little gas? At most they will just tell you to pull over and the ride is over, but if you're serious about buying the vehicle they feel that it's going to be yours anyway so they might as well let you do what you want with it... but yeah. I tried out it's acceleration, and I whipped it around a turn, nothing major but it let me get that need I wanted. 300hp/320ft/lbs of torque stock though... Plus you're getting a sweet looking car... I don't see how you can complain, a few bolt ons and you're fine... and yeah... It's not like they are going to stop making go-fast parts for our cars. Even still it's nice stock, but yeah... No one ever wants to leave a car like this stock... Well I guess some do.

Question is... if you test drove the Cobra the way you wanted... why was it impossible for you to test drive the 05 GT the way you wanted? Makes no sense.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:49 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

The salesperson at the dealership with the cobra said there was no way she was fitting in the back seat so she gave me the keys and said come back in 45 min. I had the car all to myself so I wasn't being told where to turn and to not speed because there are cops everywhere. I know, the post was wierd, I was just wondering if I am just having bad luck with sales people that refuse to let you drive the car how you want.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:54 PM
pottsi

I never even test drove mine. I just new it was the car I wanted. Just had to decide if I liked the color.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:55 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Well typically the sales people want their cars driven like a normal person drives them. lol. I remember when my friend was planning on buying his STi so I went to the dealership and tried test driving one, but they wouldn't even let me do that because I wasn't interested in buying the car and they didn't want to put the miles on them. -- Which again, is understandable... Why do these people want us running and beating on their cars, if we aren't sitting there with a pen in our hand asking where we needed to sign?

All I can say is go to another dealership, and try again.

Old 03-17-2006, 09:39 PM
Mike65

ORIGINAL: UrS4
My question to you guys is how do I properly test drive this car? Did you guys beat on the car during your test drives or did you just buy the car knowing it was much faster.
Find a cool salesman then test drive one. These motors are a little sluggish stock in the low RPMs so you gotta rev it up high to feel all those ponies. Be safe.

Some dealers I found to be real jerks about the new mustangs. I walked out of a couple dealerships that didn't want to let me drive one. If I can't drive it I won't buy it. It's a mustang not a ferrari. You're the customer so you have the control, don't let them push you around.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:43 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

I guess I understand where you are coming from, however, in essence the cars aren't theirs, they are not the salepersons personal car. When I said beat on them, I didn't mean I was going to power shift every gear and/or bounce off the rev limiter and slam on the breaks and try to do burnouts. I just want to run it through the gears 1-3 and feel everything the car has to offer. I also want to see how the car handles going 65+ mph and how it pulls in third, you know check out its passing gear. You know put it through its paces, its a sports car not a civic hybrid.

I understand their hesitancy if I was not really interested in buying one. But when I said I will buy one within three weeks or order one and I know what options I want etc. etc. I mean the guy doesn't even have to sell me the car, I already want one, I just want to be 100% sure thats all.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:02 PM
StevesGT
1st Gear Member

Wow, that sucks about the test drive,...listen, I got this mole on my back...........
No really, I thought it was pretty anemic with myself, bro, and quite large sales dude also (what are they feeding these people?), so with a crap load of weight, and I believe these engines to be tight before break in, its gonna feel sluggish. I just broke 1000 miles and its deffinately a lot looser, and revs a lot quicker, than when I bought it. I traded in an 05 WRX STi, and for the first week was like 'Oh hell, what did I do!?!' Now she is starting to come in to her own, once the tach swings past 4000 it really starts to pull pretty damn hard.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:08 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

if your in or around the houston area ill let you test drive mine =)

chris
Old 03-17-2006, 10:15 PM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

I test drove "Bluebonnet," with my wife as the passenger. All the salesman did was get a copy of my DL and insurance. I drove it in pretty heavy traffic, and was able to get on it once on the service road for US75. Then we brought it back and I bought it.

Just curious, have you driven one with an automatic? Mine hauls the mail, and there isn't a clutch to mess with.... You might want to try one of these and see how you like it.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Quick Reply: Horrible time at the dealership