Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Sudden/Quick loss of engine power

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 03:11 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Default Sudden/Quick loss of engine power

Hey Guys,

This weekend I was doing some highway driving, nothing special, not beating on the car or anything. I was in 5th doing about 75mph or so and needed to semi-hastily pass a car. I dropped into 4th and gave it about 1/2 throttle...I start to accelerate as normal, then BAM, the whole car jerks and then continues running fine. It was violent enough that I actually thought I may have ran over something, but didn't see anything, etc. So I pulled off, looked everything over, didn't find any problems, so I continued on my trip. Wanting to do some testing, I dropped into 4th and gave it a little more juice...everything cool. Long story short, I downshifted and accelerated every once in a while, and was able to reproduce this loss of engine power 3 or 4 times, but not every time I got on it. I thought it might be bad gas, and I filled up at a totally different station (different brand, state, etc), got the same problem off and on on the way back. Its not throwing a check engine or anything, so I'm not sure whats up.

Its an 06, bone stock. I am putting 87oct in it. The most I have done under the hood was open up my intake pipe and look for the non-existant pre-cat contraption [:'(] I put everything back together, tightened the clamp, etc. Car was not running when I did any of this.

I'm headed to get my first oil change sometime soon, so I figured I would take the opportunity to have the dealership explore, but I was wondering if any of you had any ideas about what could be up.

Thanks very much in advance. You guys have been very helpful!

-HypromanGT
Old 04-04-2006, 03:31 AM
loadedpony

Default RE: Sudden/Quick loss of engine power

Interesting I have had the same thing happen to me maybe 4 times in the last 4 months. Same exact circumstances. Although it felt to me like it went full throttle then off. I can't reproduce it though. Maybe an electronic glitch?
Old 04-04-2006, 03:33 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Back when mine was completely stock I could downshift to 4th at 70mph or so and floor it and it would fall flat on it's face for about 1 second then pick back up. I never did anything about it though because I started modding before I ever got around to taking it back to Ford to look at it. And it has not done it since I started modding and tuning.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:28 AM
FREAKO
2nd Gear Member

It seems to have something to do with cruising for a while......in other words if you do stop and go driving ...youll never see it. Go drive down an interstate with the cruise on for 30 mins or so and downshift to pass a car and it rears its ugly head. I heard it had to do with the throttle -by-wire set up.....I dunno....
Old 04-04-2006, 11:59 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Ack, if that is the case, then its just another thing about the fly-by-wire throttle that makes it seem like more harm than good. I recall a thread explaining the benefits of fly-by-wire regarding TCS and fuel economy, which is nice, but geez, I am definitely not a fan driving down the highway, downshifting to get that V8 power I paid for, and instead of getting my back pressed against the seat, I get a nice shudder....boooo.

I'll see what the Man has to say about it when I get that oil change. As always, thanks for the info guys!

-HypromanGT
Old 04-05-2006, 12:21 AM
Martin123
2nd Gear Member

Bone stock that fly by wire is a bitch. After the installation of some of my mods, I noticed less stall when dropping from 5th to 4th. Nontheless it's nothing to worry about its just the computer adjusting to the speed.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:25 AM
gregt909
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HypromanGT

Hey Guys,

This weekend I was doing some highway driving, nothing special, not beating on the car or anything. I was in 5th doing about 75mph or so and needed to semi-hastily pass a car. I dropped into 4th and gave it about 1/2 throttle...I start to accelerate as normal, then BAM, the whole car jerks and then continues running fine. It was violent enough that I actually thought I may have ran over something, but didn't see anything, etc. So I pulled off, looked everything over, didn't find any problems, so I continued on my trip. Wanting to do some testing, I dropped into 4th and gave it a little more juice...everything cool. Long story short, I downshifted and accelerated every once in a while, and was able to reproduce this loss of engine power 3 or 4 times, but not every time I got on it. I thought it might be bad gas, and I filled up at a totally different station (different brand, state, etc), got the same problem off and on on the way back. Its not throwing a check engine or anything, so I'm not sure whats up.

Its an 06, bone stock. I am putting 87oct in it. The most I have done under the hood was open up my intake pipe and look for the non-existant pre-cat contraption [:'(] I put everything back together, tightened the clamp, etc. Car was not running when I did any of this.

I'm headed to get my first oil change sometime soon, so I figured I would take the opportunity to have the dealership explore, but I was wondering if any of you had any ideas about what could be up.

Thanks very much in advance. You guys have been very helpful!

-HypromanGT
I have something similar happening under different cirumstances. Mine usually does it when it's cold. I drive a couple hundred yards through my subdivision under very light pedal. As I get to about 2000RPM bam, it drops power just for an instant. But quite a jolt though, enough to spill hot coffee all over myself. It doesn't do all the time and it doesn't always have to be cold but it's usually soon after start up. I took it to the dealer and of coarse everything checked out fine, no codes. Even left it over night for them to drive it was cold. Nothing. I thought my it was something with supercharger but now I'm not sure...
Old 04-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Getaway
2nd Gear Member

When you all downshift, do you take your foot off the gas?
I leave my foot where it is while cruising, and between shifts, the rpms raise and I have no power loss at all. The car takes off like a rocket.
If you try it, be careful because you can get the tail end loose easily doing this.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:34 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Is it possible that the Rev Limiter is kicking in?

RIchard
Old 04-05-2006, 08:18 PM
Martin123
2nd Gear Member

COFFEE, who drinks coffee in thier pony. Sorry dude, no food items allowed in the stang...

Quick Reply: Sudden/Quick loss of engine power