Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Got Dyno'd again

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 08:13 PM
Scottyb825

Default Got Dyno'd again

In my first post I got Dyno'd the first time...here is a link to those results https://mustangforums.com/m_2035265/tm.htm

However the results seemed to high for just an exhaust mod, so I decided to take my car to a second garage. The results were about the same. Unlike my first time with a Dyno the runs were done back to back so the engine never was able to cool down. This was a little more realistic since normally the car has been running for a while before I get to race.

On my first run I was able to get 296.4 rwhp ( I made sure it was the wheels and not crank) and a max torque of 307.8. That was on a cold engine.

On the second run the engine started getting hotter and it went down to 289.2 rwhp with a max torque 297.7

On the third I got 282.9 rwhp and a max torque of 285.3

I was happy that the numbers where consistent with my first Dyno and still suprised by the gain from the Borla exhaust. It was also interesting how big of a difference temperature makes. It would explain why so many of us have noticed better performance with our stangs in cold weather.

I will post pictures of the charts once I get to a scanner
Old 10-03-2006, 08:17 PM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Got Dyno'd again

Those numbers are NOT from just an exhaust, thereā€™s a tune and/or some other goodies on that car from beforeā€¦

Very NICE numbers indeedā€¦
Old 10-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Scottyb825

yeah who ever had it did some work...there is a steeda short shift in there which leads me to beleive that there might be some other stuff done such as a tune, there isn't a CAI though, which makes me wounder why the previous owner would tune it before installing a CAI but who knows.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:30 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

He could have had it dyno tuned by somebody for much less than a CAI and tuning device would cost him.

I would think he would have told you if it needed higher octane fuel, but maybe not. You don't here it knocking do you?

Anyway what type of dyno's are these? They don't all produce the same numbers you know.

ORIGINAL: Scottyb825

yeah who ever had it did some work...there is a steeda short shift in there which leads me to beleive that there might be some other stuff done such as a tune, there isn't a CAI though, which makes me wounder why the previous owner would tune it before installing a CAI but who knows.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:44 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

take a pic of your motor and post it
Old 10-03-2006, 10:16 PM
Scottyb825

I got it preowned from a dealer, the salesman didn't know much at all. And yeah it does knock I just figured that was normal for a mustang casue my roomate's 01 mustang gt does too. I put 87 oct in it because of what is recomended in the manual. Should I upgrade? As far as the type of dyno they were both chasis dyno's...one was DynoJet and the other was Dyno-Max 2000. Thats why I chose two different places since they had diffferent set ups and I never told the second guy that I got it dyno'd before so that I would notice if they tried to fudge the numbers.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:33 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

There shouldn't be any engine knock. I would definately put a higher octane fuel in it.

I would think a dealer would examine the car and reset it with a factory tune just incase, but maybe not.

Old 10-03-2006, 10:39 PM
Scottyb825

I don't think the dealership gave it a good look over. They didn't even know it had a short shifter until I took it back because I thought it was shifting funny compared to my fathers 06. Would the knock be because of a tune and not putting in a higher oct?
Old 10-03-2006, 11:05 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Yes! If it's been tuned for 91 or 93 it will knock with lower octanes, atleast that's what i've read. I'm not going to try running 87 with my 93 tune installed, sorry.

ORIGINAL: Scottyb825

I don't think the dealership gave it a good look over. They didn't even know it had a short shifter until I took it back because I thought it was shifting funny compared to my fathers 06. Would the knock be because of a tune and not putting in a higher oct?
Old 10-04-2006, 12:29 AM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

highest they have here is 91 oct...where are yall getting 93 at? I would LOVE to have some of that for my car.

Quick Reply: Got Dyno'd again