Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Engine Ticking

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 05:39 PM
Bigbishjas
1st Gear Member

Default Engine Ticking

So I turned the car on yesterday, and heard a ticking noise, in rythm with the engine. A metal like sound, but with the same rythm as a baseball card in a bicycle wheel. Anyway, the car was already warm because I turned it off to go into a store. 10 minutes later and now this. Got out, lifted the hood, and sounds like its coming directly from the engine block. I started driving and the ticking got faster with the speed of the car/engine, and then all of a sudden it went away, nothing, purring as usual. Then went home and parked it, a few hours later, started it up to head out somewhere, the same tick as before, and then it went away after a few minutes of driving. Very strange. I feel no performance decline and the car is just as strong as always. Same thing happend today, so Im going to bring it into Ford this week. I have 3850 miles on the car, and bought it in May. Does anyone have any idea what this may be so I can be prepared when I go to Ford. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:41 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Engine Ticking

sounds like an exhaust leak by your description. that would go away once the engine warms up if it is a small one
Old 09-24-2006, 05:45 PM
Bigbishjas
1st Gear Member

I put it up on a lift and checked for that, but it sounds like its coming from the engine itself. Its so loud I can hear it bouncing off the walls in the garage and I can hear it while driving on the street and then all of a sudden, nothing. Like I said before, the car was already warm when it started happening. Thanks for the reply. I will suggest that to Ford.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:49 PM
Bigbishjas
1st Gear Member

Any other suggestions?!
Old 09-24-2006, 09:58 PM
Bigbishjas
1st Gear Member

Well I did some research and has anyone heard of TSB 06-9-11 loud ticking noise-3 valve engines-stuck lash adjuster? Sounds like my issue.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:37 PM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

It might be a fuel injector. You would be surprised how loud they can be. You can tell by listening at the top of the engine.

Good luck!
Old 09-25-2006, 01:04 PM
Bigbishjas
1st Gear Member

Bump
Old 09-25-2006, 02:22 PM
Claytone
2nd Gear Member

i have a similar sound myself on startup, but only when its cold. once the car is at normal opperating temp it goes away, 3-6 min. I figured it was my UDP, but since you dont have those, Im starting to wonder......
Old 09-25-2006, 02:31 PM
fishyducky
2nd Gear Member

i would check the fuel injectors too. like justastock said, they can be really loud.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:17 PM
Bigbishjas
1st Gear Member

There is no rhyme or reason to the sound...like this morning, cold start, no sound at all...no ticking noise, perfect. But tonight I could go home and start it up and the ticking noise may be there. Strange!! When I first heard it, the car was warm. Im holding off bringing it into FORD until I can replicate it more often.

Quick Reply: Engine Ticking