Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

s197 suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 03:48 PM
Iwasaricer

Default RE: s197 suspension

i haven't driven a gt mustang yet so i can't say much, so with the performance mods that im getting, cai, tune, exhaust, and gears im getting the impression that the stock suspension won't be able to do a good job handling on those mods? thanks for the replies!
Old 04-03-2007, 04:07 PM
elburrito99
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240
well, how many cars out there are still Live Axle?
How many daily driver cars are still produced to withstand repeated 1/4 mile runs with mods that often far exceed the stock 300hp/320 lb.-ft.?
Old 04-03-2007, 04:15 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Modding your suspension really isn't a requirement because of increased power from a couple bolt-ons. My car has nothing but a K&N cai, canned SCT 91 octane tune, and Flowmaster AT axleback - that's it.

I do however, walk all over other Mustangs with as much as 40-50 horsepower more than me.

Like Al said - for most guys it's a matter of stiffening things up a bit and getting rid of some understeer. For the majority that means good control arms outback and a rear bar.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:12 PM
PBR_Streetgang
1st Gear Member

I do however, walk all over other Mustangs with as much as 40-50 horsepower more than me.
RF,
Is that due to driving skills or better suspension?
Old 04-03-2007, 09:22 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

I can hold my own but it's more the car doing the work
Old 04-03-2007, 10:45 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iwasaricer

i haven't driven a gt mustang yet so i can't say much, so with the performance mods that im getting, cai, tune, exhaust, and gears im getting the impression that the stock suspension won't be able to do a good job handling on those mods? thanks for the replies!
...or you could drive the thing and see what you think before dropping a sizable wad on stuff that you may not actually want...? Generally speaking, I'm not sure how anyone can spend this much money on a new car and not ever drive it unmodded, but I guess that just means there are lots of people waaay richer than I am (which isn't too difficult to achieve, probably). In any case, whats the harm in waiting and deciding for yourself?
Old 04-04-2007, 02:04 AM
JayFi
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

ORIGINAL: hotairgypsy

so if you were to pick the order in which you want to replace parts for the suspension what would it be? at what point in the modding of the suspension are you sacrificing your ride?
#1: Rear lower control arms.
#2: Stiffer rear sway bar
#3: Stiffer panhard bar & panhard bar brace
I was planning on doing these 3 mods as well as lowering springs and d-specs. But if these are the 3 weak points that most improve the handling, I may just do these and maybe roll the d-spec/spring money into an aluminum driveshaft.

I'm a bit hesitant to lower the car anyway, as roads in DC really suck.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:08 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

be sure to get a 3.5 inch driveshaft so down the road when you do lower the car you wont have to worry about clearance issues
Old 04-04-2007, 02:11 AM
JayFi
2nd Gear Member

Will do - thanks for the tip!
Old 04-04-2007, 11:59 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

RodeoFlyer makes a very good point. A lot of guys drop a lot of money into power mods such as tuners, pullies, gears, and that sort of thing but never spend a dime on suspension. These cars will spin the tires STOCK. Why add more power at the wheels if you can't use what you've already got? Spinnin ain't winnin..as some people say.

As for the clearance issues, I belive 100% that the often-reported "clearance problems" with the larger driveshafts are the result of an improper installation. I have installed 4" driveshafts (Spyder/Powerhouse/etc.) on several cars that are lowered, including my own, and have NEVER had a clearance problem. My car, even with 4 adults in it and the 4" shaft has never had clearance issues. In my opinion the clearance problems are not the result of the driveshaft itself, but instead occurs due to the pinion angle being set wrong or due to an excessively flexy UCA bushing. With the pinion angle correct there is no contact even with a 4" shaft.

Jay, The lowering & D-specs are great mods. I didn't write them down in my "suggestion list" becasue I have no idea what you may be wanting to spend. If you are willing to spend that kind of money then they are excellent. But the driveshaft is a great mod as well! Just be sure you have adjustable LCAs for when you get the driveshaft so you can get the pinion angle correct.

Quick Reply: s197 suspension