Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

DEALER AFRAID TO DO SPARK PLUGS!???

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 11:13 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: DEALER AFRAID TO DO SPARK PLUGS!???

^^^ if the car looks liked it's been f*cked with by a shadetree mechanic, ok I can go along with that. But for a ford dealer to turn away simple maintenance like swapping out the plugs that the car came with, esp. since ford recommends the plugs be changed no more often than 60K or so (more time in the head = more likely a problem w/ removing), well that in my book definitely warrants a call to the higher ups. All dealerships have certain standards they have to maintain, to continue carrying the badge of whatever cars they sell. IMO a willingness to perform the items in the owner's maintenance schedule is absolutely mandatory. The dealer I work at neverhas and never will pull a stunt like that...again, the 3v head is used across the board and is seen day-in-day-out by the people at the dealers.
Now, if you're telling me that if I go into a Ford dealer and say hey change my sparkplugs, I'll be in the customer lounge page me when it's done, and one of my plugs snaps off in the head, I'm to be held responsible? Hells no. Haven'tyoueverseen one tech get ajob involving a notoriously problematic car, and theother techs tell him "you're married to that one now"? If there's a problem, Ford needs to address it with some revised plug replacement guidelines, or a lubricant that will help loosen the stuck plug. For instance, most of us know that Delco side-post batteries leak from the positive post. GM dealers cover replacement of any part damaged by the leaking acid (battery tray, positive cable, steel line below the tray) well after the warranty has expired. They're OWNING UP to their mistakes.
As a fellow dealership employee, I feel your pain. Service advisors are often treated as doormats by customers, abused by miserable technicians (redundant terminology), and subjected to horrible "completely satisfied" surveys. The hours are long, lunches are rare, the service mgr's usually an idiot. It's a job I don't envy; they really take it out of your hide. It's very easy to "take the job home with you" and that may be the case with your somewhat sensitive reply...p.s. I'm in the parts dept, not an advisor...enjoy your weekend, because if you keep going back-and-forth with me, you might as well be at work arguing with a tech or customer!
Old 07-06-2007, 11:15 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

100k for the plugs according to the manual.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:18 PM
07Grabber

its all good
Old 07-06-2007, 11:21 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Richie I think it's fun arguing with you lol.........I do agree any dealer that cant change a spark plug should have thier certs revoked imo and would enever ever see the inside of anything I own. I cannot believe they would even try to make someone responsible for anything that breaks during ROUTINE MAINT.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:22 PM
SPOOK R/T
2nd Gear Member

Hell call Ford and turn their *** in. I called my local dealer and they said. That the other FordDealer is full of bull
S$#%#t. They had done many cars and trucks with the 4.6's and never had any problems with them.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:29 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Mikes_BLK_GT

Richie I think it's fun arguing with you lol.........I do agree any dealer that cant change a spark plug should have thier certs revoked imo and would enever ever see the inside of anything I own. I cannot believe they would even try to make someone responsible for anything that breaks during ROUTINE MAINT.
it wouldn't be as fun if I took my medication like I'm supposed to LOL...I still remember our first fights, the "which brand of intake" argument and the "you should be sued for beating on a customer's vette" argument...ah, those were the good old days (actually only about 2 weeks ago I think LOL)
Old 07-06-2007, 11:42 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

I'm easy to argue with
Old 07-07-2007, 12:01 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

not trying to add any fuel to the fire here, because
i somewhat see both sides of the situation.

one thing that has not been mentioned is that the
car is no longer under warranty, so why would a
shop (ford or any other) risk damaging something
and have to pay out of pocket.....

just something more to consider

Old 07-07-2007, 12:07 AM
redfireshaker06
4th Gear Member

If you are PAYING for the job.

ORIGINAL: hammeron

not trying to add any fuel to the fire here, because
i somewhat see both sides of the situation.

one thing that has not been mentioned is that the
car is no longer under warranty, so why would a
shop (ford or any other) risk damaging something
and have to pay out of pocket.....

just something more to consider

Old 07-07-2007, 12:08 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Hey if you have to pay for the work because it's not warranted it seems that there me be a more economic approach. Perhaps you should take the car to a speed shop or other reputable shop for the maintenance. Nothing agianst the dealership but there are other very qualified shops that will back their work.

Unfortunatley there are some bad shops out there but thats balanced by the fact there are some bad dealerships[:@]...Just take it somewhere else.

Quick Reply: DEALER AFRAID TO DO SPARK PLUGS!???