Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

DEALER AFRAID TO DO SPARK PLUGS!???

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 01:09 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Default RE: DEALER AFRAID TO DO SPARK PLUGS!???

That's crazy and stupid. Dealers...[:'(]
Old 07-07-2007, 01:21 AM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wasvette

So, everyone I talked to told me NOT to change the plugs in the S197 Mustang because they could break in the head and then you're hosed.
So I take it to a dealer in Atlanta for that and other routine maintenance...checked in and all is good. Get a call a while later from the service advisor saying his manager said that if they do the plugs I HAVE TO ASSUME LIABILITY FOR ONE BREAKING OFF WHEN THEY REMOVE THEM! I asked what that would cost and they said $2000 - 3000 !!!! Needless to say we killed that part of the service.

What are you guys doing to swap these safely. My car has 84,000....wait 84,050...that's how fast I'm adding miles!
I think you were being recorded for a joke or hidden camera.
ThankGod I voided every guarantee on my car so I dont have to deal with morons like that manager. If they break a plug is for pure and extreme negligence or because of a poor design, either way the dealer/Ford must pay.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:43 AM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: hammeron

not trying to add any fuel to the fire here, because
i somewhat see both sides of the situation.

one thing that has not been mentioned is that the
car is no longer under warranty, so why would a
shop (ford or any other) risk damaging something
and have to pay out of pocket.....

just something more to consider

because they have to maintain certain standards to be allowed to carry the name of the Ford franchise, the most basic of which is a willingness to do simple maintenace on their carline...

Old 07-07-2007, 11:21 AM
slySTANGguy
2nd Gear Member

yeah, it is no longer under warranty. But the plugs regardless are due for a change after any warranty that you can buy is up. What dealer would replace the plugs at 36,000 miles or less. If the place you buy the car at is not going to fix it, then who is. So the way i see it you go back there and make them change it and raise some more hell...****ing dealerships
Old 07-07-2007, 11:27 AM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron

not trying to add any fuel to the fire here, because
i somewhat see both sides of the situation.

one thing that has not been mentioned is that the
car is no longer under warranty, so why would a
shop (ford or any other) risk damaging something
and have to pay out of pocket.....

just something more to consider

THE CAR IS UNDER WARRANTY THROUGH FORD'S ESP TO 100,000 MILES FOR THE RECORD. ALSO, EITHER WAY IT WAS GOING TO BE A $189 JOB (PLUGS + LABOR) THAT THEY PASSED ON. I DON'T REALLY CARE THAT THEY PASSED ON THE JOB; I JUST THOUGHT IT WAS WEAK. IT WAS MY FIRST TIME THERE AND OTHER THAN THAT ISSUE (SOUNDS LIKE THEY HAVE HAD TO PULL SEVERAL BROKEN PLUGS ON THE DEALERSHIP NICKEL), THEY WERE COMPETENT AND FAIR.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:24 PM
emt4fire1951

What your moron dealer is quoting is the plug replacement for the 5.4 in the F-150's. Believe me this is the real deal. There is a TSB on plug removal for them. Damn thing is 2 pages long and requires use of Kroil, 1/4 turn of plug and wait, then 1/4 turn multiple times etc. Bunch of s##t. I know, my other Ford is a 05 F-150 SCREW. Fords answer was to change the plug change interval from 36,000 miles (under warrenty) to 100,000 miles and dealers ARE charging if they break off a plug. Both my F-150 forums are pi##ed off. Ford even designed and sell a "special" tool to "try" and remove a broken plug. The damn plugs are long and protrude way past the threads. Carbon builds up on the shaft and when you try and remove them can snap off the plug below the ceramic and leave the shield in the head. Sucks! Here's a couple of the segments from the TSB
3. Back out the spark plugs, no more than 1/8 to 1/4 of a
turn. Apply penetrating oil (AeroKroil or equivalent) and
fill the spark plug well just above where the jamb nut hex
sits. A minimum period of 5 to 10 minutes of soak time is
required. The penetrating oil will wick down to the
ground electrode shield in this time. DO NOT WORK the
spark plug back and forth at this point.
4. Slowly turn the spark plug out. Some screeching and
high effort may be noticed but, not in every case. The
expected removal torque is about 33 lb-ft (45 N-m) but
should decrease on the way out. If it is higher, try turning
the spark plug back in a half turn, then back out again. If
the turning torque still seems high, repeat the back and
forth rotation along with some penetrating oil to reduce
turning effort.
There's more but you get the point. I love my truck but Ford needs to be beat for this one.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:52 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i reread the thread and can see a little better
now why you'd be po'd. i'm not happy with
this plug situation either and thank heaven there
are forums, to share these kinds of issues.....

ORIGINAL: wasvette

THE CAR IS UNDER WARRANTY THROUGH FORD'S ESP TO 100,000 MILES FOR THE RECORD. ALSO, EITHER WAY IT WAS GOING TO BE A $189 JOB (PLUGS + LABOR) THAT THEY PASSED ON. I DON'T REALLY CARE THAT THEY PASSED ON THE JOB; I JUST THOUGHT IT WAS WEAK. IT WAS MY FIRST TIME THERE AND OTHER THAN THAT ISSUE (SOUNDS LIKE THEY HAVE HAD TO PULL SEVERAL BROKEN PLUGS ON THE DEALERSHIP NICKEL), THEY WERE COMPETENT AND FAIR.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:29 PM
Stage4
2nd Gear Member

i changed my own when installing the turbo. it was actually one of the easiest things to do - very easy to access and no problem coming out. You do want to be careful putting them back in so they don't crossthread. I used a piece of vacuum line to start them. I would guess the dealership is thinking of the 5.4 as well. that would make more sense (but they should know their own products better than that?)
Old 07-07-2007, 06:17 PM
rravolt
2nd Gear Member

i looked at this thread yesterday and called the closest ford dealer to me and they said there is no problem with doing the spark plugs and if they break one off in the head its on them not us it must of just been the dealership having a bad day or something
Old 07-07-2007, 08:11 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rravolt

i looked at this thread yesterday and called the closest ford dealer to me and they said there is no problem with doing the spark plugs and if they break one off in the head its on them not us it must of just been the dealership having a bad day or something
RRAVOLT - Thanks for the field research. I think when I'm ready I'll just keep trying dealers until I get one that says yes and that they're actually going to own the job.

Quick Reply: DEALER AFRAID TO DO SPARK PLUGS!???