Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

The Official S197 exhaust sound thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 11:44 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: The Official S197 exhaust sound thread

ORIGINAL: howarmat

Hey jason, either jason i guess.....i have not seen this added anywhere in the tech section or a sticky yet....any word on if that is a possibility or not yet?
well theres some stuff i need to add first, more info, couple more clips, more descriptions, and lethal performance will be sponsoring the thread.

..................if he ever gets back to me lol

Old 07-23-2007, 11:45 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Sounds good!
Old 07-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

Thanks to AmericanMuscle4.6GT for choosing Lethal Performance to sponsor this thread!

I've started to add links and images to all the exhaust kits listed in the thread. We're also going to offer a 5% discount to any member Mustang Forums looking to purchase any Axle-Back or Catback system we sell for the S197.. I'm working on a coupon code for the site so once I've got it I'll post that up as well. Thanks and please let us know if there's anything we can help you with. Here's a little information on Lethal Performance for those that don't know us.

Lethal Performance, Inc. is one of the industy's fastest growing Aftermarket Parts Distributors specializing in late model Ford, GM and Dodge cars and Trucks! We're most experienced in the Ford Mustang community as that's what got me into the the business to begin with. I'm the proud owner of a 3.4L Whippled 03 Cobra and the guys that work over here own Cobras as well. Lethal Performance, Inc. was formed to offer it's customers the highest level of customer service, fast shipping and very competitive prices! Everything that I would expect when I buy parts for myself. We've built incredible relationships with many of the large and small manufacturers in the industry and I can guarantee if you asked any of them what they thought about Lethal Performance I'm sure they would give us much praise. To me building those relationships has allowed us to be ahead of the competition. Anytime a new product is released or a special deal becomes available we are usually the first ones to know about it as well as release that info to the Mustang community. We do our best to stock as much as we can so that when you order it goes out the door the same day with a Fed Ex tracking number so that you get your parts fast! We're also proud to be involved with the sponsorship of several high profile Mustangs such as David Beyer's 9sec Turbo Stang and very well known Renegade Racer and current #2 point leader for the NMRA Renegade Class Bart "The Mad Man" Tobener! With that said hopefully you'll see we're enthusiasts just like you and love what we do. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions and we'll be more than happy to assist you. Thanks, Jared

WWW.LETHALPERFORMANCE.COM
877-2LETHAL

Jared@lethalperformance.com
Jonas@lethalperformance.com
Derek@lethalperformance.com
Matt@lethalperformance.com

[quote]ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

yep, its done. sort of. this is just the basic version, without pics, just to show how all the exhaust types sound. i am open to suggestions/changes and i would really like your suggestions for improving this.

The S197 Mustang GT changed all the rules on getting an exhaust to sound good. The location of the gas tank was moved from the rear of the car towards the middle to better protect it, therefore Ford was forced to put the mufflers at the rear of the car in an “axle back†system. This makes choosing an exhaust more difficult. So I’m here to write out a description of the brands.

There are 3 main parts to our exhaust system when considering replacement. Headers, midpipe, and axle back/catback. The headers channel and collect the exhaust as it comes out of the exhaust ports, the midpipe controls the scavenging effect (see other sticky), and the catback/axle back usually contains the mufflers, which attenuate engine noise.

There are 2 basic types of muffler: Chambered and flow through (also referred to as bullet, resonator, etc). They will both enhance the sound of your car when paired with an otherwise stock setup, however, it is important when replacing the midpipe/headers to choose a combo that will sound nice. First, let’s go through the different brands/types of mufflers and how they sound.
An axle back system will offer little to no performance advantage, and the motivation for going aftermarket is usually purely based in aesthetics. Dyno numbers might show 2-3 additional HP but a loss of torque of about the same. It is not considered a performance modification to replace the axle back system.

Bassani:

Always a good choice, Bassani’s axle back mufflers will give the car a deeper and louder sound, while keeping the volume under control.

BASSANI "RACE AXLE BACKS@ Lethal Performance http://www.lethalperformance.com/pag...edge-tips.html

Here are Bassani’s “Race Axle Backsâ€
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZlokhZMfeuI

With a catted x pipe:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jD65ZC8ib...ed&search=

With a catted x pipe and long tube headers:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NldHzFrHu...ed&search=

I recommend that this exhaust be combined with either a catted x pipe, or a catted h pipe or offroad h pipe. The drone is there, but is minimal and bearable.

Borla:

Also sold under the FRPP and Steeda exhaust guises, and I believe Roush, there are 3 types of Borla exhaust: The less aggressive chambered version, which is standard fare on the Shelby GT, (referred to as the FRPP GTA’s) the more aggressive “S†type, and the catback, which is the S type (bullet muffler) along with replacement over-axle pipes up to the midpipe. This catback system offers pretty much no performance/sound advantage.
The GTA’s are a subtle increase in volume over stock, as well as being deeper. They can be paired with a catted x pipe, or a catted or offroad h pipe. An offroad x pipe is not recommended, as these are a chambered style muffler and could get crackly. Drone is minimal. The aggressive style (also referred to as the Borla “stinger,†although not the official designation) are a substantial increase in volume over stock, and the sound is very low and very deep. They tend to dampen the tone a bit; they are not as throaty, and the sound is well under control. The best way to describe it is that the sound is toned down, not as aggressive, but very very deep. Drone is moderate, but is load-dependent and bearable. Not an exhaust for those who can’t stand drone. These mufflers are complimented excellently by a catted or offroad x pipe. An offroad h pipe will work well, however there are some “trumpeting†issues. In addition, it will not scream on the higher RPM’s like an x pipe will. However, an offroad h pipe is still a very viable option to consider.
Borla aggressive types are always a good choice; you really can’t go wrong with this muffler.
BORLA and FRPP NON-AGGRESSIVE AXLE BACKS@ Lethal Performance [URL=http://www.lethalperformance.com/pages-productinfo/product-14642/11752-borla-05-07-mustang-gt-non-aggressive-axle-back-exhaust-system.html]http://www.lethalperformance.com/pages-prod
Old 07-24-2007, 08:04 PM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

Great write up chief, well done. [sm=hail.gif]
STICKY PLEASE! [sm=bounceybounce.gif]
Old 07-25-2007, 08:34 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

Just added a whole bunch of content for the axle-back and catbacks but the header kits available as well!!
Old 07-25-2007, 10:02 PM
rnail
1st Gear Member

A slight correction on the Borla/FRPP mufflers section.FRPP does sell the "aggressive" M-5230-GT which is the borla "Stinger" straight through (can type), and they also have thenon-aggressive oval type which are straight through but muffled.

The FRPP GTAs - M-5230-GTA are actually an entirely different muffler not produced by Borla. They are used on the Shelby GT and Hertz GTH. These are a chambered design manufactured by Supreme Performance for Ford andalso soldby Supreme Performance. I have them, they sound very good, not quite the quality of Borla since not made of 304 stainless, but 409. The YouTube sound clip of them is mine.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:17 PM
foghorn2

Also the pictures are wrong. THE GTA's DO NOT HAVE THE FORD RACING STAMPS ON EM.
Someone probably did a photoshop job on that one. I would not buy it from that vendor.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:22 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: foghorn2
Also the pictures are wrong. THE GTA's DO NOT HAVE THE FORD RACING STAMPS ON EM.
Someone probably did a photoshop job on that one. I would not buy it from that vendor.

it says, the pictures might not represent exactly what will be sold will the product.

Lethal Performance is a site sponsor. also, you wouldn't buy from a vendor because you think one pic is off?

dude.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:38 PM
flattusmaximus78

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2Nj841PvQsE

bbr x pipe and cheap flowmasters. Really loud, with no distinct sound!
Old 07-28-2007, 04:07 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

Were you going to add in the custom setups?

Quick Reply: The Official S197 exhaust sound thread