Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Getting the 07 mustang FI

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 05:05 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Getting the 07 mustang FI

Oh come on, there are alot more tuning, runningissues with turbos here than S/C. Just do a thread search, even a thread search encompasing the last 6 months. There are probably at least 15 S/C cars on this forum to every one turbo, and with likely the same number of problem threads. To me, that makes the turbo 15 times more problematic. I'm not sure why this is the case, it's usually not a hardware issue, (except in jdback's case), but rather a software and tuning issue.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:05 AM
ccpoole

ORIGINAL: Ortoch

ccpoole whats ur car sound like? thats my exact settup but with o/r x-pipe lemme know if you got a sound clip or something bro
While I don't have a sound clip at this time, I can tell you with the setup I have now its extremely loud and a little raspy. No drone at all though. I did have flowmasters on before the stingers and the stingers sound 150% better IMO.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:07 AM
ccpoole

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Isn't that picture from last years sema show? I thought this kit was allready out? The whipple is much simpler and better looking.
Yes it is a picture from last years sema show. The 05 and 06 kit are out. The 07 has yet to be released. The piping has been changed and so has the tune. Before it seemed the tune they provided was basically just to get you driving to a tuner so they could actually do a real tune. This new tune is actually a tune that can be used right off the bat. This is of course if the install is being done by yourself.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:32 AM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

Oh come on, there are alot more tuning, runningissues with turbos here than S/C. Just do a thread search, even a thread search encompasing the last 6 months. There are probably at least 15 S/C cars on this forum to every one turbo, and with likely the same number of problem threads. To me, that makes the turbo 15 times more problematic. I'm not sure why this is the case, it's usually not a hardware issue, (except in jdback's case), but rather a software and tuning issue.
I was looking hard at the Hellion kit but decided against it for two reasons:

1. The installers I spoke to agreed that the turbos are more difficult to tune for. They were certainly willing/able, just needed more time and attention.

2. A number of people on this board an other places have popped their stock bottom ends using turbos. Tuning issues? Too much boost? I dunno. S/Cs just seemed safer per capita.

I went Saleen as people just didn't report belt issues (except at the very small pulley sizes). Seemed like a good choice for a DD.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:06 AM
Ortoch
4th Gear Member

I am still debating twin turbos vs the procharger d-1sc serpentine race kit with the F-1A procharger in it they are both nice and can give over 800hp but turbos seem more finiky from what I have read in the forums.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:07 AM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Fincky schminicky. Man, if you are going to that kind of power level I would say it just doesn't matter. At 800 hp, streetability is probably not a primary focus anymore [8D].
Old 10-20-2007, 12:43 PM
ccpoole

I was looking hard at the Hellion kit but decided against it for two reasons:

1. The installers I spoke to agreed that the turbos are more difficult to tune for. They were certainly willing/able, just needed more time and attention.

2. A number of people on this board an other places have popped their stock bottom ends using turbos. Tuning issues? Too much boost? I dunno. S/Cs just seemed safer per capita.

I went Saleen as people just didn't report belt issues (except at the very small pulley sizes). Seemed like a good choice for a DD.
The main people with turbos throw a rod is because its just too easy to turbo the boost up. With just a twist of the **** some turbos on these cars can be up at 600whp. It's just too easy. Where as a supercharger involves a little more to up the boost. Just imagine your driving down the road and a Supra pulls up next to you blowing off like crazy. Would you not feel tempted to just twist that **** up a little to give you that extra 100 hp or so?

Another reason why mustang pop rods with turbos on them is because the person or persons who are tuning them don't give them enough dyno time. This is usually because they aren't too familiar with installing and tuning a turbo since most shops only really work with superchargers.

Best thing to do is to just find a reputable shop that has installed and tuned turbos. I am taking my car to a place thats about 4 hours away. In doing so I will probably pass about 4 or 5 shops that would have been willing to do the job, but their lack of experience urkes me. The shop I'm taking my car to has installed and tuned many 05-07 stangs with turbos so I'll sleep well knowing it will all be done right.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:04 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Good luck, post back when done!
Old 10-20-2007, 10:10 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

definately post back, when she's all
turboed up and running strong
Old 10-21-2007, 07:41 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I have yet to hear of anyone using this kit, why is that? It's been for sale since this time last year.

Quick Reply: Getting the 07 mustang FI