Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

07 Black Gt-It begins

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 03:46 AM
MuchToLearn
2nd Gear Member

Default 07 Black Gt-It begins

I havn't been here too long, but I know people have asked all the questions I'm about to ask countless times. Stating that, I'm sorry I'm about to do it again.

Right now I work and go to college. Currently going to community college and living at home--I love saving as much money as I can so I can spend it on the car . I have put on a new hood, stripe, tint, upper and lower billet grill, and the wheels are not stock. (came already on though) I have two golden stripes which I got for free (same with my hood) because of all the mess ups with getting my hood delivered, painted, and installed.

So now to jump right into it. I am not happy with the vinyl stripe at all. I was told there wouldn't be any damage to the car if I chose to take the stripe off at a later time, and that they would just replace the stripe if the old one needed to be replaced. I havn't even had the car for a month and the stripe is already a little bit loose or peeling in some areas. Mostly at the rear end, front, or by the functional hood scoops. I park my car inside the garage, have hand washed it every 4 days or so, and was very gentle with the stripes. No excessive rain or wind...really nothing to cause it in my opinion besides just wear and tear. I think i like the gold on black though...so i'm not sure If I want to actually get the stripes painted on...if removing the vinyl is even an option. If I get them painted on I want the stripes to go all the way over the car. Front front bumber to the very back. Excluding windows, of course. Anyone have any input on the stripes? Painted or tape, look good, bad? Different types of stripes?

Second is gears. I have the stock automatic gears now, 3.31 I believe. I think I'm going to move up to 3.73.

Third is exhaust. I'm still looking at exhausts...there are a lot of parts that all make up a distinct sound. I love throaty sounds that lack any high pitched or screeching. I like when cars resonate a little when idle, like older cars. I think I like everything about the older sounds...just not sure how to duplicate it (if those kinds of emissions are even legal) I don't know what setup i'm looking for. Are there any benefits or anything I should worry about when getting different exhaust systems?

Fourth are wheels. I'll probably just stay with my current ones or get the GT500 wheels. 18".

Fifth is probably the most debated subject on here. Especially since I'm going to put two subjects in one. Blowers and tuners. I plan to get both of them eventually, the tuner before the blower. I plan on getting a tuner relatively soon-a few months, but I think I will wait a couple years before I get a blower put on. I have heard a lot about brenspeed for tuners and I thought Procharger had the best superchargers. Are these claims at least true in some way? I'm leaning more towards Superchargers than Turbo, and I have no idea what twinscrews are. Should I get all, some or any of these modifications before I get a tune? You don't need a new one for each modification right? I could go on a long time asking questions about blowers and brands..but I've already gone on far enough.

I know I am asking a whole lot of questions about a wide variety of topics, but I am posting this all at once so if anyone has any input what-so-ever on anything they can know all my interests and everything else all at once. It also helps that I can check everything in one spot if anyone is actually up to the task of answering my never ending questions.

So, if anyone has anything to add, ask, comment about or inform I will be checking this thread quite often. Thanks guys!

Edited because people were assuming a bit too much from what the text said. Now this is what I plan, not what I'm wondering about.
[align=right] [/align]
Old 10-24-2007, 06:39 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 07 Black Gt-It begins

Vinyl looks like crap. A nicely done set of painted stripes would cost 2000 - 2500 and will look like factory paint if they wetsand and clear them. Take a look at mine. They are like a tatoo there is no raised edges to the stripes.
The automatics benefit a lot from a tune. The tuner should be your first mod. I would wait on a CAI until you decide on a blower. Procharger is okay but you would probably really dig a twin-screw.
I have a Kenne Bll and they are awsome. Whipples are nice too.
Don't go over 3.73 gear either with an automatic. They have a really low first gear. If you add a blower it will never get traction.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:00 AM
xz06
1st Gear Member

1)The stripe can be removed and replaced without a problem.
2)Gears do affect throttle response.Are you sure your Fly by wire throttle dosen't need to get reset?Are you sure you have 3:55gears.They used to be standard on theGT but now are optional(07).Lots of reading for you to do about gears since they affect your,rpms in city and hiway driving.Some like 4:10 are great for racing quarter mile times. Not so good for the hiway on long trips.

3)As for the exhaust,it is a very personal choice,with lots of options.No one can answer this for you.Read all the threads about options,like X and H pipes,headers,Off Road systems etc..Everything you do with your exhast is going to change the way it sounds.Cat back refers to the exhaust from the rear of your catalytic converters to your tailpipes.
4)Look into lowering springs if you don't already have them.Larger diameter wheels are a bit more easier to damage since the lip of the rim is a bit closer to the asphalt,because of the sizing ofyour tires. They tend to be heavier because they are larger.You may notice that in your throttle response.
5)Keep reading up on superchargers.Twin screws are more efficient than single screw blowers and generally have a larger capability to force air into your motor,due to bigger displacementThe twinscrews have 2 spinning shafts in them as opposed to a "roots:" or single screw.Look into Vortech as well.They make a Centerfuge type blower that is very well known.When you install a supercharger then you need to get your computer retuned,and other modifications depending on what one you have.Things like fuel injecter size comes into play.If you are going FI in the future save your money and have the car tuned after the introduction of the blower.You will need to change the air fuel ratio to something that is going to prevent your car from pinging.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:00 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

3.31's are standard on all 07+ GT's. 3.55's were only optional on manual GTs. Unless somebody else switched them out before you, you have 3.31's. There are some people who run 4.10 on automatics, but I personally wouldn't go over 3.73.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:56 PM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

I would suggest getting shocks and struts if you are going to get lowering springs. Also something like a panhard bar, and chamber plates.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:29 PM
Fullsayl
2nd Gear Member

For you lowering/suspension questionsdo a search for F1Fan's articles on suspension. That will give you the info you need to correct your suspension after lowering.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:46 PM
jc63_
2nd Gear Member

The main question should be WHAT IS YOUR GOAL WITH THE CAR? Basically, why do you want to do this stuff? Do you have plans on the track or street?
Old 10-24-2007, 06:07 PM
MuchToLearn
2nd Gear Member

I would love to have a fast car and be able to take it down to the 1/4 mile or anywhere else I could find to race. Although I'm not sure how stupid it would be to take a stock 07 GT and race people, I know it wouldn't be that great. I would like to get into some sort of racing scene with a group, but I havn't looked since I don't have anything but stock right now. I love putting on body modifications and other stuff as well though, so I think I will keep doing body modifications and things like exhaust and tuner...but I also have plans for gears, CAI, blowers, suspension, control, etc....Just not sure where to start!

If I do buy a tuner, will I have to buy a new one or take it to a dyno to get it retuned if I ever get a new part? I'm not sure how the tunes work exactly. Can I tune the car myself? I thought you had to bring it to a dyno to get it tuned correctly. If I can just use my tuner to re tune the car multiple times, after I get each upgrade, I will probably go exhaust, gears, and then possibly the tuner...maybe 20" wheels later.

About the gears though. If I do have standard 3.31's ( I thought I had 3.55) I think I want to go higher...but what is wrong with 4.10s on an automatic? Why wouldn't you want to go with 4.10s instead of 3.73? I have talked to three people that I know that live near me and they agree that if you have an automatic you should go with 4.10s instead of 3.73. Would 4.10s not give me any traction?

Thanks all for the comments, hopefully I have explained my goals a bit more..but i'll reiterate them once more. I want to do body modifications and get speed. I'd love to race and get good times at the track. I love going fast, but I also love looking sweet. I love throaty exhaust sounds, and I'm still trying to find how to get the sound of those older cars. I love those so much.

Thanks again guys, I appreciate all the input. If anyone wants to ask anything else, I'll be here!
Old 10-24-2007, 06:52 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

If it is your DD and you plan on going FI, get 3:73's..IN MY OPINION, 3:73's are the best overall gear for gas mileage AND performance.

As far as tuning goes, typically most people, inlcuding myself, order a CAI/tuner combo from Brenspeed, BAMA, or somewhere else online. The tune is referred to as a canned tune because it is an "estimated tune. You will receive the tuner and the CAI in the mail and all you have to do is plug the tuner in under the steering wheel and click which tune you want. After you add more mods, you can take your tuner that you got from Brenspeed and go to a custom tuning shop. There, you can get a custom-dyno tune (the best tune you can get). They will tune your car to best fit your current modifications.

If you need anymore help, let us know
Old 10-24-2007, 07:12 PM
MuchToLearn
2nd Gear Member

What is DD? Is "FI" fuel injection? So..I purchase a tuner, and they give me one that fits my specifications I already have on the car. I apply the tune myself, and when I get any upgrades, I bring that same tuner and the tuning shop will then use that tuner to tune the car again to new modifications? If I get 3.73 are there any other mods I would need to get to bring up to speed? And I'd really like to know about 4.10s. You say 3.73 are the best in your opinion for gas and performance..Why?

Quick Reply: 07 Black Gt-It begins