Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

"To intercool or not to intercool, that is the question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 03:43 PM
RF2.1
2nd Gear Member

Default "To intercool or not to intercool, that is the question...

...whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of hotter air, or to takeincooler, condensed air into the engine."

But seriously, debating whether or not to go with an intercooler with a Whipple supercharger. My goals are between 400 and 425rwhp, and I'm a very conservative driver. From what I'veread on the forum here, it seems that I would be fine running a set-up with no intercooler (and I could always upgrade later ifI wanted to). Am I way off base here, or does my line of thinking seem logical enough?

David
Old 10-24-2007, 04:10 PM
Fullsayl
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: "To intercool or not to intercool, that is the question...

...Since brevity is the soul of wit,
And tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes,
I will be brief.

Frailty, thy name is Forced Induction!
But at low PSI you should be fine. The lower PSI should keep your intake temp down, removing the need for the intercooler.

That being said...

Give every man thy ear, but few thy voice;
Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:12 PM
ANBAUTO
4th Gear Member

I would just have the intercooler for peace of mind
Old 10-24-2007, 04:19 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

blah blah blah intercooler
Old 10-24-2007, 04:41 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

get the HO kit yadda yadda yadda and you'll
be good to go

if you're not sure about whether to intercool
or not, you have not determined your actual
future goals for the car, imo

it's much easier to intercool now vs. later

good luck with the project
Old 10-24-2007, 04:44 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

It didn't make much sense to buy the non-intercooled whipple when considering the price difference. It will cost you $1000 more for the intercooled version, but it will cost you $1700 more to upgrade later.

That's why I got the intercooler, you also get the gt500 pumps. Don't forget that you would have to pull the blower off the intake manifold to install the intercooler later.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:49 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

Yes, do intercooler!!! Chances are you will want more power down the road. You do know how many customers we have had that do not go the next step the first time around......supercharger, short block....doesn't matter what parts.

They always come back later to upgrade formore power or parts! As I always say.....Do It Right The First Time

Casey
Old 10-24-2007, 04:56 PM
Fullsayl
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

It didn't make much sense to buy the non-intercooled whipple when considering the price difference. It will cost you $1000 more for the intercooled version, but it will cost you $1700 more to upgrade later.

That's why I got the intercooler, you also get the gt500 pumps. Don't forget that you would have to pull the blower off the intake manifold to install the intercooler later.
Considering the price difference, I retract my previous statement. Do it now, you'll always want more power
Old 10-24-2007, 05:01 PM
RF2.1
2nd Gear Member

Good advice from all, even a little more from the Bard in there as well. Just got off the phone with a friend who is far more knowledgable than me, and he echoed what many of you said: peace of mind + possible future needs = intercooler. All of that being said, there's no reason I can't start out with lower boost initially and still have the intercooler, yes? If I've learned well, boost is a function of what pulley you have installed on a given blower, correct? Really trying to not go too crazy with horsepower numbers; trying to keep it reasonable for a daily driver.

David
Old 10-24-2007, 05:35 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You can use the 8psi pulley with the whipple HO kit. The whipple tune will work with either 8 or 10psi pulley so no need to change anything except the pulley. You will not be dissappointed with the 8psi pulley on the HO whipple.

ORIGINAL: RF2.1

Good advice from all, even a little more from the Bard in there as well. Just got off the phone with a friend who is far more knowledgable than me, and he echoed what many of you said: peace of mind + possible future needs = intercooler. All of that being said, there's no reason I can't start out with lower boost initially and still have the intercooler, yes? If I've learned well, boost is a function of what pulley you have installed on a given blower, correct? Really trying to not go too crazy with horsepower numbers; trying to keep it reasonable for a daily driver.

David

Quick Reply: "To intercool or not to intercool, that is the question...