Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

these brakes suck!!! what should i replace, CHEAPLY?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 09:10 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

Default these brakes suck!!! what should i replace, CHEAPLY?

these stock brakes are ****. even moderate braking from like 90 brings shaking and lots of noise, sounds terrible, i don't wanna push the pedal further. should i replace the pads? how much?

they fade like a mother****er. the brake noise is terrible at high speeds.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:25 PM
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

Default RE: these brakes suck!!! what should i replace, CHEAPLY?

http://www.baer.com/
Old 10-31-2007, 09:45 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

I recently had a problem with the Brakes, causing a Shake in the front end, under heavy braking. Turns out that the rotors were slightly warped..........too much heat from high speed braking. New rotors, problem solved.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:51 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT
these stock brakes are ****. even moderate braking from like 90 brings shaking and lots of noise, sounds terrible, i don't wanna push the pedal further. should i replace the pads? how much?

they fade like a mother****er. the brake noise is terrible at high speeds.
Hi AmericanMuscle4.6GT,

There is nothing wrong with the stock brakes as supplied by Ford except that the rotors tend to overheat but that is not the brake system's fault butthe stylists and the bean counters unwillingness to include adequate brake cooling to the rotors. The stock brakes(as ALL brakes ever made), have a limited heat capacity and needtime to cool off once they get hot but this is easy to fix. If you have noise and vibrations that come back even with light use on fist applicationyou probably have overheated the rotors and done permanent damage to them.Depending onhow bad you overheated them you may or may not be able to turn them and remove the hardened spots on therotors but not likely in my own experience. Chances are you will just end uppaying to have them turned and the problem will come back almost immediately so I suggest that you toss the stock rotors and padsand buy new quality replacement rotors, stainless steel lines, racing brake fluid,performance pads, properly burnish the new brake pads and heat cycle the rotors per the manufacture's instructions to the tee. Also you should NEVER park the car and set theparking brakesif your car has not had several minutes of cool down time after heavy brake use, keep driving or even the best rotors and performance pads with do exactly the same thing as the stock pads and rotors did.

HTH!

Old 10-31-2007, 09:54 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

I fixedmy fade with new rotors www.brakedesigns.com and a set of Akebono Ceramic pads from www.tirerack.com . Smooth and silent now. While you're at it, ditch the rotor shields too, they just prevent cooling.

Some would add DOT 4 fluid, which is a good idea, and braided lines will give you a little better pedal feel, but these aren't necessary to fix the problem you decribe.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:55 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bluestar
I recently had a problem with the Brakes, causing a Shake in the front end, under heavy braking. Turns out that the rotors were slightly warped..........too much heat from high speed braking. New rotors, problem solved.
Hi Bluestar,

Rotors don't actually "warp" without a lot of help from the driver and the personwho failed to properly torque thewheels. There is no way for rotors to actually "warp" if installed properly.

HTH!
Old 10-31-2007, 10:06 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

better pads are all you need. SS lines and Motul/ATE dot4 fluid optional, but good to have.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:08 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Chi, you got the Saleen! Thats tight man
Old 10-31-2007, 10:21 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

the lack of s/c makes me cry. but that'll be taken care of in time

thanks! we gota awesome deal with it when we bought the Expedition the same time. Lovin the Expedition also, very practical for our household. we just replaced the tires for General Exclaim UHP's. (have it on the rsx and scion as well[&:]) we love these tires, rides nice and quiet, yet fantastic grip in dry and wet conditions, not to mention CHEAP! Ranked #1 on tirerack in their catagory.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:25 PM
craezjo
2nd Gear Member

how bout some powerslot rotors and some better pads

Quick Reply: these brakes suck!!! what should i replace, CHEAPLY?