Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 12:02 AM
kyle2k
1st Gear Member

Default newbie questions

Hello everyone, I have a quiet a few stupid little questions that I would appreciate being answered...I have to say this is the hardest forum I've ever used to search with so I apologize that I haven't found the answers myself. If anyone would mind babysitting me on a messenging client PM me, otherwise I will just ask some things here.

I hear a lot about S/C etc etc etc. But, in all honesty, how much can the stock block take? How much does it cost? What does KB, whipple, etc, etc stand for...I mean i have a lot to learn and askand would appreciate the help!
Old 11-05-2007, 12:59 AM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Default RE: newbie questions

I think the stock block can take up to 600rwhp. Most s/cs run over $3000 and up. Kb = Kenne Belle, Whipple are Superchargers.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:21 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kyle2k

Hello everyone, I have a quiet a few stupid little questions that I would appreciate being answered...I have to say this is the hardest forum I've ever used to search with so I apologize that I haven't found the answers myself. If anyone would mind babysitting me on a messenging client PM me, otherwise I will just ask some things here.

I hear a lot about S/C etc etc etc. But, in all honesty, how much can the stock block take? How much does it cost? What does KB, whipple, etc, etc stand for...I mean i have a lot to learn and askand would appreciate the help!
The search feature on the forum isn't working...

As stated above, KB, whipple, and so on are all blowers (superchargers). You will max out the stock internals before the block. Are you asking how much is the stock block?

-Jeff
Old 11-05-2007, 02:18 AM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Stock block can handle somewhere near 700-800rwhp but the stock internals (rods, crankshaft, etc) will give out USUALLY between 450-500rwhp.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:52 AM
Ortoch
4th Gear Member

Just ask your questions here theres alot of experience out there to get all your answers from one person. Sometimes I get 3 or 4 different opinions on things from people but seeing the majority gives you an idea of what direction to head in. As for your SC questions are you jumping straight into a FI engine? Because if you are thats awesome haha more power to ya (no pun intended). Let us know how it goes and pictures are loved by all.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:24 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

There are roots style (Saleen, Roush) and centrifical (Vortex, Paxton) superchargers. The two you have listed are roots. If you google you'll get more information. Mustang magazines are also a great place to learn. The engine can take it. I'd be concerned with the stock drive shaft and transmission.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:05 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06Saleen3V

Stock block can handle somewhere near 700-800rwhp but the stock internals (rods, crankshaft, etc) will give out USUALLY between 450-500rwhp.
it's the internals you gotta worry about, 450 seems to be the magic number.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:35 PM
kyle2k
1st Gear Member

thanks for all the replies guys I appreciate it greatly! As for a F/I project right off the bat probably won't happen. I guess what I want to know is how much does it cost to get forged internals AND get them installed? Who could do this for me? Is there anyone that has done a stroker kit for the 4.6 and also one last question thats a little off topic. Why does everyone call is the S197 when the 4.6 has 281 cubic inches? Just woundering,

Thanks again!
Old 11-05-2007, 02:48 PM
myredgt
3rd Gear Member

MragaritaGirl

There are roots style (Saleen, Roush) and centrifical (Vortex, Paxton) superchargers. The two you have listed are roots. If you google you'll get more information. Mustang magazines are also a great place to learn. The engine can take it. I'd be concerned with the stock drive shaft and transmission.
The Roush is Roots, Vortex and Paxton are centrifugal, and Saleen is Twin Screw.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:04 PM
DocVenture
1st Gear Member

S197 is the designation used in the factory for this body style.

Quick Reply: newbie questions