Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Calling All Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 02:56 AM
SomebodiesEverything

Default Calling All Opinions

Please offer your input on the following:

Facts: 2006 Mustang GT Manual Trans All Stock

Objectives: To maximize HP and Torque while maintaining integrity for long term use. In other words this car will not be put away for the winter, it will be a primary means of transportation and driven daily through all seasons.

MainlyI want to know where I can purchase a Shelby upgrade kit. I seem to remember seeing a link many months back where you can purchase the kit and get a serial number for it for future Shelby upgrade parts. Also what is the approximate install cost and a good place to have it done. I am a 100 lb woman and wont be looking to do this work myself obviously. I will be living in the south east portion of Alabama if this info helps you quote vehicle service locations.

I am looking to keep the car classic muscle so NO RICER SUGGESTIONS PLEASE. I do like the HURST Competition shifter kit. Does anyone have any input on this and installation info?

All interior stuff will strictly be cosmetic and I am pretty sure I can do that myself since most of it is just 3M adhesive installation. I amputting wheels on it this week. FooseBillet Style Rims larger wider tires on the back. Exact tire Ihave not made a firm decision on yet.Interior Mods I plan to keep it classic muscle billet styling. I have stock black leather interior. I will also be adding a Cervini Ram Air hood but this is secondary to gettting the mods under the hood first.I also willbe doing a custom paint job but this is further in the future.

If there are any other suggestions let me know. I am clueless as to what the Shelby upgrade kit includes but I do want to mod CAI, Exhausts, Shifter, Headers. So if the Shelby kit does not include those items please offer your input. My thought was Steeda CAI, Brenspeed Headers, Hurst Shifter, Flowmaster Exhaust.

Ok hope this was not too tall of an order for opinions. I will continue to read through the posts in the meantime.

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2007, 03:17 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Calling All Opinions

C&L Racer CAI (biggest inlet tube 95mm, can only help performance)
SCT X-Cal 2 (Tune from your choice here)
American Racing Longtube Headers with Catted X-Pipe (Brenspeed doesn't make their own headers)
Borla (FRPP) Stingers (Flowmasters sound like ****)

Really not sure what you're really asking but those are my suggestions on parts with good quality anyway. Install for the headers should be around $300 and add $50 for the axlebacks to get installed. The intake could easily be done by yourself but would probably cost $50 to get installed if you get an honest shop.

-Jeff

Old 11-05-2007, 04:32 AM
SomebodiesEverything

Thanks Jeff for your input.

I am pretty sure some of my info is sketchy...in fact MOST of it. Not really asking specifics just soliciting opinions.

I appreciate your time and your input, as well as others will be considered in my decision.

Stephanie
Old 11-05-2007, 08:56 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Doing alot of searches and just browsing will get you alot of opinions.

Do you have an idea of what power level you are looking for? Everything from bolt ons (small parts) to supercharger/turbo's can be very driveable and reliable if done correctly and kept to modest boost levels.

From reading your post I dont think you are looking for 450 hp but you could.

If you wanted to max out on bolt ons here is what I would suggest:

CAI with custom tune. (Dyno tunes are better and I think Doug at B ama chips is in Alabama)
CMC delete plates
Any axle back exhaust
MGW shifter

Then any appearance mods you want.

This would give you about 30 hp to the wheels would would be about 290 rwhp give or take.

I am of the opinion that exhaust mods are not really that great a return on the money invested. From the articles I have read and the people on this site, full exhaust MIGHT get you 20rwhp. Considering long tube headers and an x pipe are over 2k that just isnt worth it. Maybe if you did get a supercharger but even then there are better ways to spend your money. I also dont think that underdrive pulleys are that great either, they might get you 5rwhp that you will never feel.

Some people like to do every bolt on part under the sun and end up with a great ride it is just a matter of money and what you want. The great thing about mustangs is that there are so many choices for everything.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Oh and I would suggest against the shelby kits as you can get the same stuff from other aftermarket vendors that is as nice or better for less money.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Nice looking car, I love that color red...it was my first choice but couldn't find it for the right price at the time.

Regards a "Shelby upgrade kit" - have you looked at http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/ There are many different parts and pieces you can buy that are made by Shelby but I don't see any overall "kit" (maybe I just didn't look hard enough). Realize that you will be paying a premium for the name if you go with anything from them.

Since you state "integrity" and "long term use" are important then I too am going to guess you are not interested in very high output options like superchargers,turbos, nitrous, CAMs and headwork, etc. Things that can shortendrivetrain life if not used gently or combined with other $ mods (new internals, clutch, brakes, etc).

The most popular simplebolt-on performance mods are the kind that add horsepower:Cold Air Intake,Custom Tune,Exhaust (mid-pipe and/or headers)
And the kind that reduce losses of horsepower: Underdrive Pullies, electric water pump, aluminum drive shaft
Also the ever popular rear gear change: 1: 4.10 ring&pinon gears - multiplies the torque effect to make it feel like you have more HP, although it doesn't actually add HP.

Probably the best bang for the buck (outside of nitrous) is the CAI with custom tune. There are many, many little mods that can add up to nice increases in HP but the only true silver bullets are forced induction and/or major rework of the heads (CAMs, port and polish, etc).

Regards CAI and tune - everyone has there own opinion but two Vendors that consistently rise to the top of most discussions are Brenspeed.com and Bamachips.com. You can purchase from several CAIs they each offer, + a tuner and then they will send you a set of three tunes, one of which you can load into your cars computer. The important thing to note here is that they will match the tunes to the mods on your car. So, if you have only a CAI, they will send you a dyno-tested tune specifically for your car with that mod. If you have a CAI and mid-pipe, they will send you a tune for that combo.

Regards Axle-back exhaust: from what I have been able to research, none of these add horsepower. It all comes down to a personal preference for sound...thats all they do. Flowmasters are one of the quieter ones while the SLP loudmouths are one of the louder ones. Some sound "ricer" some sound more "muscular". There has to be a dozen or more options.

Regards shifter - here again there is probably no wrong answer. All the aftermarket shifters have their proponents. I do think that all of them are a step up from stock...which I find kind of 'mushy'. Installation is a snap if you have a few tools. The MGW shifter has fantastic step-by-step instructions.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:59 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

C&L Racer, tuner (either SCT or Diablosport), CMCV delete plates, O/R X or H pipe, UDP. Those should give you an extra 45-55hp. As for shifters, go to a stealership and sit in a Shelby GT, they have the Hurst shifter and it will give you an idea of how it will feel.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:08 PM
batmobile2005
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SomebodiesEverything

I am looking to keep the car classic muscle so NO RICER SUGGESTIONS PLEASE
haha you came to the right place. i think we all collectively hate ricers here
Old 11-05-2007, 04:46 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

I idolize you.....All the women I know can care less about their car, let alone bolt on tons of hp!
Old 11-05-2007, 09:04 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

I dont know why everyone is suggesting the racer C&L..that is only for very high horsepower applications...just get the C&L street intake with the SCT XCAL2 tuner...corsa or borla are very nice sounding axlebacks...hope the modbug bites sooner than later
Old 11-05-2007, 09:32 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

If you are looking to keep/extend the muscle car sound, I vote Borla/FRPP "stingers" for axel-backs. They put a smile across my face that rivals the Joker's from the First Batman movie

Quick Reply: Calling All Opinions