Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 03:55 PM
EXile88GT
1st Gear Member

Default Supercharger

Twin Screw or Centrifugal? which one works better? what brand would work best on a stock motor? I plan on boosting the car soon and i want to make sure its done right lol
Old 11-05-2007, 04:02 PM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger

Twin screw = boost from lower RPM. high effiiciency (great power for PSI), quieter, more expensive. Twins are KB, Whipple, and Saleen.

Centrifugal = build boost more mid range and top end, less expensive. Not as versed in these but itseems like a lot of guys have Vortech, Paxtons, and Prochargers.

For a street car, I'd rather have (and do have) the screw. No wrong choice though.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:04 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

agreed, can't go wrong with either

Old 11-05-2007, 04:07 PM
craezjo
2nd Gear Member

twinscrew for street driving , centrifical for drag strip
Old 11-05-2007, 04:23 PM
iwannagofast
2nd Gear Member

This is a very opionated topic because there is no wrong answer. I personally would go with the centri because I feel you dont need to be in boost all the time. For one thats more gas being burned and at part throttle theres just no need to be in the boost. Also when it comes to adjustability if you were to build a motor later on its easy to push a lot of boost out of a centri and turn up big numbers. But like I said its all opionated and any kind of power adder will be a great time.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:38 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: iwannagofast

This is a very opionated topic because there is no wrong answer. I personally would go with the centri because I feel you dont need to be in boost all the time. For one thats more gas being burned and at part throttle theres just no need to be in the boost. Also when it comes to adjustability if you were to build a motor later on its easy to push a lot of boost out of a centri and turn up big numbers. But like I said its all opionated and any kind of power adder will be a great time.
there's no boost at part throttle with a twin screw. I haven't check when boost kicks in, but I will and get back to you. I have the aeroforce gauge which can tell me the throttle position.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:39 PM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: iwannagofast

Just to clarify - the twin screw is not in boost all the time as it has a bypass valve that remains open until you give her the pedal hard. That being said, the TS operates more efficiently than the best CAI even when the bypass is open.

I average 22 mpg on the highway even with the 4.10s.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:41 PM
iwannagofast
2nd Gear Member

Do you have a blow off valve that releases it? I havent really gotten a chance to look into the newer supercharger packages so I very well could be wrong. But youve gotta love the whine of a centri.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:44 PM
EXile88GT
1st Gear Member

which one would be safest to run on a stock motor?
Old 11-05-2007, 04:56 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

Twin screws do not build boost all the time. Centris do. The boost may not make it to the engine, but due to the placement of the throttle, Centri's will produce boost at part throttle/high RPM that gets dumped to the suction.

A centrifugal supercharger produces a suction at the inlet based on RPM. The higher the RPM, the more suction it produces, and the more air it compresses. If your throttle is open only part way, the compressor is still using engine power to compress air, but it is being bypassed back to the suction side of the compressor, via a surge controller. Surge is when a centrifugal or axial compressor's flow goes backwards due to the discharge pressure being to high, flow rate to low. This reversal in flow happens many times a second when surge line is reached. A bypass valve allows the compressor to discharge and maintain a flow/pressure curve above the surge line. So when you are part throttle and high RPM, the Centri supercharger uses power to create boost that is being dumped back to the suction line. Full thottle, the bypass valve closes, and the pressurized air goes to the engine.

Twin screw is positive displacement, with the throttle valve on the inlet. This is called inlet pressure control, and is more efficient. During part throttle, less air is fed to the supercharger then it can handle (volumetric eff. is way down) so it takes very little power to turn the compressor, regardless of RPM. Part throttle, high RPM with a TS potentially uses less power then the Centri, because not only are you limiting the air flow to the compressor, they also have a bypass which dumps the discharge back to the suction line. If the throttle was placed after a twin screw compressor, it would become less efficient then the centri at part throttle/low RPM because of its positive displacement.

Quick Reply: Supercharger