Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

MGW Shifter Centering springs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:53 PM
Srt2Stang725
2nd Gear Member

Default MGW Shifter Centering springs?

I installed the MGW shifter about 1000 miles ago...and i love it its great....you could practically just sneeze and the thing will hit 3rd....but since ive gotten it ive missed 2nd 6 times....and not only am i cringing at what im doing to my tranny....its f'ing embarrassing....is there a way to change out the centering springs and where would i get new ones? any advice?
Old 11-05-2007, 10:07 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: MGW Shifter Centering springs?

If you only have about 1000 miles on it, I assume you have not had the shifter very long. This tells me that you already have the "weaker" centering springs installed. The original shifters had a stiffer centering spring installed. I have missed 2nd when I have gotten extremely lazy with the shifter, but I am yet to miss third. Here is what helped me.....

I pivoted the shift handle away from me, as illustrated in the attached photo. This has a tendency, for me anyway, to force me to pull toward the drivers seat a bit more, and thereby alleviating the "lazy shift" syndrome that will allow the centering spring to push the shifter away from second gear....Like I said, it worked for me, but your mileage may vary....easy enough to try.....

Mike

[IMG]local://upfiles/13557/E20095170695406C9FC622B827D7E265.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Srt2Stang725
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the advice.....my gf got it for my bday back in august. And then I installed it and right after maybe like50 miles afteri was layed up with knee surgery for 2 months so ive only been driving it for a month or so with the new shifter....So im not sure what springs i have. all i know is i could push in it with one finger from the 2-3 shift and it will go right to third....thanks for the advice though im gonna mess around with the car a little tomorrow so im gonna try that
Old 11-05-2007, 10:31 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Srt2Stang725

thanks for the advice.....my gf got it for my bday back in august. And then I installed it and right after maybe like50 miles afteri was layed up with knee surgery for 2 months so ive only been driving it for a month or so with the new shifter....So im not sure what springs i have. all i know is i could push in it with one finger from the 2-3 shift and it will go right to third....thanks for the advice though im gonna mess around with the car a little tomorrow so im gonna try that
No problem. If she bought back in August, I'm pretty sure it has the weaker centering springs.....

I can relate to the knee surgery thing. I had surgery on my knee back in June. Went about 13 days without driving....made me crazy.....Anyway, goof around with the adjustment I gave you. Just gotta find your sweet spot with the shifter......

Good luck, let us know how it goes...
Mike
Old 11-05-2007, 10:33 PM
Srt2Stang725
2nd Gear Member

will do. thanks again Mike.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:43 PM
sawyer
3rd Gear Member

that is what is great about this shifter, just keep the allen wrench with you and try several different positions
Old 11-06-2007, 09:06 AM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

+1 on the lazy shift, just remember to apply pressure toward you when shifting into 2nd, the springs are stiff and if your too casual when shifting it wants to push over toward the drivers side. This shifter is head and shoulders above anything out there, with tons of adjustability. I have the pistol grip Hurst handle on my car slightly angled toward me, it's perfect.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:22 PM
NJ3
3rd Gear Member

Another thing to consider is changing your shift **** to a MGW gripper **** or other round ****. I found I missed 2nd regularly with the OE ****, just something about it.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:19 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

I would give it a little more time getting use too. I still have the firm springs in mine and have no plans to change out to the softer/progressive ones. It just took a little getting use to and I never have the 2nd gear thing, or occasionally I would put it in 3rd, vs 1st when waiting for a light to change, or starting from a stop sign.