Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI+tune now or Save and wait for SC?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 08:33 AM
BartSimpson
1st Gear Member

Default CAI+tune now or Save and wait for SC?

Well, the title pretty much says it all. Should I go ahead and get a CAI and tune now (that is of course compatible with an SC) or should I just save the extra couple hundred bucks towards a supercharger? I am in the process of collecting parts in preparation for modding my car rather extensively. I already have body kit being painted. Got some new wheels, new exhaust,looking for good tires, deciding what suspension parts to get, perhaps even a big brake kit (primarily for looks of course, I know that tires and pads make all the difference). I, as well as pretty much everyone else, would like to add more HP to myride to compliment all of the other mods. I was thinking about getting a C&L CAI+tune from Brenspeed because I will still be able to use regular gas, maybe even get a few more MPG's, and get some more HP too. I know that CAI's and tunes make a lot of difference but I know I want to supercharge my ride eventually.

So should I just wait and stay with stock HP for a while and then get an SC or should I go ahead and get a SC compatible CAI now and then the SC later?
Old 11-10-2007, 09:12 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: CAI+tune now or Save and wait for SC?

CAI and tuner is about 600-650, 400 of that is for a tuner, which you need for the SC anyway......i dont even think it really matters if the CAI works with the SC you get or not, if it doesnt you can easily sell the CAI for a good percentage of what you paid and get one that does fit. I wouldnt even worry about what fit and doesnt, you are talking about a 5-6k purchase, so loosing $50 on a CAI switch should not be a huge deal.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:00 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

if the s/c comes in 12 months or
less, hold off and wait for it.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:21 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

+1 if you are S/C in the short term I would wait. If you plan on waiting a year or 2 bet the CAI for the power in the mean time it is worth.

Hey I am putting a whipple on in April/May so I will have a C&L street CAI for sale.

Also what is the going rate for used CAI. Not like you really damage them or anything.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:20 AM
sawyer
3rd Gear Member

Hold out and get FI
Old 11-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Let me know what you decide because I have a JLT2 and an SCT tuner that will be for sale as soon as the CAI arrives in the mail.

If you bought it, you could probably sell it for what you buy it for later. There have been several guys interested in it so far.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:49 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

When are you plannin on getting the blower?
Old 11-11-2007, 09:14 AM
BartSimpson
1st Gear Member

I am planning/hoping to get the blower either in late spring or early summer of 2008. I really like the Saleen SC's but I have read other people's posts saying that a whipple is better. I just want a basic Saleen supercharger, I don't really want to get the packages that offer 500+ HP. I don't want to have to get forged pistons etc. or worry about tearing my insides apart. I think 435 hp will be satisfying enough for me.

The Saleen SC is also about $1000 cheaper than a comprable Whipple with an intercooler. Which is another plus for the Saleen kit.

I have heard rumors about a group buy on superchargers to make them cheaper, can anyone provide more info about this?
Old 11-11-2007, 09:25 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

where do you live....you list absolutely no info on your profile, but if you live within 5-8 hrs of JDM or Brenspeed or in CA.....i would be driving to oen of those places and buy and install from them....JDM and brenspeed will write fabulous tunes for you and the install would be top notch....and there are plenty of shops in CA, including Saleen themselves that can take care of you.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:01 PM
BartSimpson
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I wish I lived near CA. I live in VA all the way on the other side of the country. So I would have to order an SC and then take it to a shop near me to have it installed.

Quick Reply: CAI+tune now or Save and wait for SC?