Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

cams - yes or no

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 08:03 PM
batmobile2005
2nd Gear Member

Default cams - yes or no

hey guys, ive got a daily driver 05 gt and im doing a few basic mods to it, cai, exhaust and some small cosmetic stuff. i love the sound of performance cams, but is it unrealistic for me to get? i want to keep it as a daily driver, will cams ruin that? also, i dont want it to be much louder than it is now inside (if it is louder thats fine, i just dont want a headache after a long trip). pros and cons are greatly appreciated, im on the fence right now as to if i should get it or not. thanks!
Old 11-17-2007, 08:09 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: cams - yes or no

it's unealisteic and not practical
for your needs at this time, imo

Old 11-17-2007, 08:11 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Cams for S197
Old 11-17-2007, 08:18 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

... I've been daily driving my stang with stage 3 cams, springs, and retainers and that hasn't effected my driveability one bit.... Had them in for over a year and she's still running strong...[:-]

[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

-Jeff
Old 11-17-2007, 08:27 PM
batmobile2005
2nd Gear Member

thats good, theres a few things im worried about and you can probably answer from experience. im worried about excessive interior noise, gas milage and drivability in the snow. the reason i didnt get a supercharger is because it would skid and slide everywhere in the snow. with cams, i dont need to get the highest performance ones, i just want those qualities to remain fairly untouched. i know the more hp there is, the less able it is to drive in snow, but people have said that the new s197 cant drive in the snow stock and i largely beg to differ on that
Old 11-17-2007, 08:34 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

The question is... Do you want to pay $1500-2000 (assuming cams + install would be around that price.) All in the name of sound? If you wanted to squeeze more power, wanted sound, etc... and didn't mind the overall cost, I'd say jump on it. As far as increasing your interior noise, I'm going to assume that the volume while driving is going to be the same as stock, or maybe a tad louder... It's the lope while idling that you're really going to notice the sound of the cams.

As far as driving in the snow, it's really up to the driver. The car is light in the rear, and it's rear wheel drive. Mine has been through 2 winters, 1 ice storm in Virginia and for the most part it's performed very good considering. If winter is a real big concern for you, invest in some winter type tires, maybe studded or whatever is available.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:42 PM
batmobile2005
2nd Gear Member

oh dont worry about the winter driving, ive got some nice snow tires that have seen two winters already and i know when not to floor it in the snow. ive always been really really cautious in the snow with any car and now even much more so with a 2wd rwd car. i want some more power over a cai, maybe 320-330, sounds nice to me, and i absolutely love the cam sound, i just hope it wont render it useless in the snow, like a s/c would. i dont think cams will, but im just waiting for some horror story about it. and id do the installation myself, i have the tools and the help to do it, so if i get the brenspeed package, it would be 1000 dollars i guess. and since the car isnt at an idle when youre cruising on the highway, i guess the interior noise wont be that bad (im worried about my 3 hour trips up north in more snowy areas than i live in, which the majority of my milage on this car comes from, i dont want a pounding headache after the trip haha)
Old 11-17-2007, 09:03 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

You arent going to be anywhere close to 320 with the mods you have now + cams.....you need to do more research into this if you think you will pick up 30 HP with your only other mod being a CAI.....
Old 11-17-2007, 09:08 PM
batmobile2005
2nd Gear Member

a cai and a tune and cams and maybe headers (if im feeling adventurous) wont bring me near 320? i would have expected at least 30 out of cams and then 30 for a cai and tune would give 60 total on top of lets say 260 rwhp for a manual gt, thats 310, thats halfway decent if i can say. if it gets me 310 horsepower and the signature cam sound, no joke, ill take it haha.i just dont want closer to 400 hp, i think thats too much for my application
Old 11-17-2007, 09:10 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Your going to need longtubes to get the performance you are looking for... Cams alone are a waste trust me... You will get a little deeper tone more than anything...

-Jeff

Quick Reply: cams - yes or no