Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

HURST shifter dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 09:24 PM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

Default HURST shifter dilemma

So I have been looking at the Hurst short throw shifter and the prices vary soooo much. From $160-$300. But anyways the Ford dealer wants like $260 for the shifter and close to $300 for the install...I nearly **** myself when he said that. He said he would have to pull the exhaust, disconnect the trans. mounts and a whole bunch of other crap. I must be delusional (sarcasim)but I thought that it was only a couple of bolts and an easy install. I know you don't even have to drop the driveshaft as long as you pull/put it in through the interior. IDK, just can't believe how some mechanics take people to be fools...Unless I'm very mistaken. Just to get and idea, how much did some of you guys spend on the purchase and the install?
Old 11-28-2007, 09:37 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: HURST shifter dilemma

took me about an hour and i got the hurst for 190 shipped.....didnt have to remove exhaust, trans, DS or anything else
Old 11-28-2007, 09:41 PM
majustin1
2nd Gear Member

I bought mine for 190 as well, but i had mine professionally installed at a dealership and it took my guy around an hour to hour and a halfto get it in there right. But this guy was not a mustang guy and was his first install of this type on this model. So install was around75-80bucks.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:41 PM
BUGT
1st Gear Member

Ive never heard of anyone having to remove the exhaust or transmission??
Old 11-28-2007, 09:45 PM
07torchgt
2nd Gear Member

i called my dealership and asked and got the same response....i just gave up on the idea b/c there isnt really any good privately owned shops around me, so the dealership is the safest place.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:04 PM
memphis90

It's a really simple install. It's easier if you drop the driveshaft, but not required. I installed mine through the hole in the floor in about 1 hour. Just remember to loctite the bolts and make sure the shifter arm is bolted to the trans facing the right direction.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:04 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

What a load of c%%p. This is a very simple mod. You need ramps or stands and a few tools. No need to remove any of that stuff. Look at TacoBills right up on installing the MGW shifter. The Hurst can't be any different.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:48 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

I got mine for $169. about two years ago, took it to my friendly local gas station to "show" them what I bought. 45 minutes later, I was banging gears with it. They didn't remove anything except the old shifter. The hardest part was getting the stocker out through the hole in the tranny hump.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:06 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: memphis90

It's a really simple install. It's easier if you drop the driveshaft, but not required. I installed mine through the hole in the floor in about 1 hour. Just remember to loctite the bolts and make sure the shifter arm is bolted to the trans facing the right direction.
Ihave the MGW, but I can't imagine the Hurst is any more difficult to install.

+1 on the Loctite. I didn't use it during the install, and ended up having to go back and revisit the bolts to put it on (well, actually I flipped a guy at Monroe $20 to put some on for me - they weren't busy so I just stopped in and asked for a "favor").

I didn't take out the exhaust, driveshaft, nothing. Just the old shifter. Like someone else mentioned the part that sucked worst was getting the old shifter out of the tunnelthrough the hump into the interior. The MGW was an awesome install since the shifter is actually 2 parts.. I highly recommend it, if you haven't already grabbed the Hurst. There's even an install video on MGW's website. Easy easy.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:16 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Got my Hurst at Amazon.com.
http://www.amazon.com/Hurst-3910201-...143&sr=8-1
Local shop installed it for $80.00.

Quick Reply: HURST shifter dilemma