Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

pypes mid mufflers chirping?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:12 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default pypes mid mufflers chirping?

Anyone have problems with the passenger side hangers rubbing on the stock muffler brackets? My exhaust seems to move a lot and the passenger side hangers are much closer to the brackets than the drivers side. I just got done grinding down the stock hangers and slotted the mounting holes some to move them back. I'm hoping this solves the problem. It doesn't do it all the time, but when I let off the gas it will sound like a big cricket is in my trunk and occasionally it will rattle first. I put a piece of duct tape on the hanger to confirm it was contacting the bracket. Hopefully making this post will help someone else.

I tought about just moving the stock hangers by drilling new holes, but that would be a pain. The best way would be cut the hangers off and reweld them, but I don't have a welder, yet.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:43 AM
Goody625
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: pypes mid mufflers chirping?

Interested to see how this turns out...I am going with pypes mid in the spring.

Hey moose, how do you like the sound?

Good Luck
Old 01-04-2008, 07:47 AM
NewmanGT
1st Gear Member

I have my pypes system installed, however Its up on jack stands still waiting for warm weather

as of right now the passenger side tip is a lil high, and the driver side tip is a little low... I may adjust them this weekend and get some sound clips. Ill keep an ear/eye out for that section to see if it may rub.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:33 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NewmanGT

I have my pypes system installed, however Its up on jack stands still waiting for warm weather

as of right now the passenger side tip is a lil high, and the driver side tip is a little low... I may adjust them this weekend and get some sound clips. Ill keep an ear/eye out for that section to see if it may rub.
You'll know right away if it rubs. The funny thing is mine didn't start rubbing for a few days, but it was clearly a metal on metal sound. I fixed it by grinding some off the side of the hangers and slotting the holes to move the hangers back some. No more chirpy.

I love the sound.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:08 AM
probinator
3rd Gear Member

The pyps system sucks ***.... Enough said.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Dex
5th Gear Member

everyone seems to like it. i have it on my car
Old 01-04-2008, 11:59 AM
NewmanGT
1st Gear Member

I havent taken it for a drive yet, but I love how its a few steps up in loudness, deep, all while not obnoxiously loud.

as for my tips, the drivers side is high, and the passenger side is low... I had it reverse in a previous message. Aside from that, It looks good, fit well, and sounds great. I can honestly recomend this system to anyone looking for a few steps up in loudness w/o waking up the neighbours and getting the attention of cops

for just under $300 bucks, you cant go wrong!
Old 01-04-2008, 12:53 PM
lenster

I have the "Pypes mid-muffler" system as well, I love them, but I too needed to adjust them a bit. I brought it to an exhaust shop and they adjusted the passenger side rear hanger by heating it up and bending it slightly away from the body. They also adjusted the rear driver side hanger. It was touching the panhard bar slightly when I went up hills. I also had them install the aftermarket hanger brackets from pypes. I think I could have left the brackets alone but since they were making adjustments , I figured I would change out the stock brackets as well. The factory brackets rubber were kind of soft and not as sturdy and firm as the replacement brackets. Cars runs great and sounds great as well.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:31 PM
NewmanGT
1st Gear Member

I made the mistake of reefing on the stock exhaust when I was taking it off and I scratched BOTH round area's where the tips come out :[&:] Im hoping a little touch up paint and im good to go.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:19 PM
bgoose99
1st Gear Member

I had the same issue when I installed my boomtubes. Didn't look that close cold, but when the pipes heated up they expanded just enough that the rear-most hanger would chirp. I just bent the hanger and all's been well ever since.

Quick Reply: pypes mid mufflers chirping?