Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI and Tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 12:08 AM
DJStile
2nd Gear Member

Default CAI and Tuning question

Hey all, I've been a member on here fora while but haven't really posted all that often. I recently (about 4 months ago) traded in my 2001 V6 Mustang and bought a brand new 2008 Mustang GT and had a few questions. I DID do a search on this issue but was unable to find exactly the answer I was looking for, so if it has been discussed, I would appreciate the answer anyway, or a link...thanks in advance.

Anywho, I'm thinking about purchasing a cold air induction kit but noticed everyone seems to be suggesting a tuner as well as the CAI. I'm not really familiar to all of this so I was wondering if anyone had a newbie (and I mean like explaining it to a NEWBIE on the subject) site or block of info on how tuners work, what is required, and most importantly, weather or not the warranty will be voided by adding the CAI and/or tuner.

Thanks a lot!!
Old 01-16-2008, 12:27 AM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Default RE: CAI and Tuning question

The warranty will not be voided unless the dealer can prove the problem was caused by the tuner and/or CAI. Almost all sites sell the tuners and CAI's in package deals (highly suggested due to the MAF's of the S197s). I would recommend Brenspeed or Bamachips. The best CAIs are the JLT, C&L, Steeda, and Granatelli and IMO the best tuner is the SCT Xcal2 or 3. Let us know if you have any other questions and you should post here more often!
Old 01-16-2008, 01:01 AM
DJStile
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info...so when people say "tunes" as in the octane level, by switching the tune on the tuner, you then physically fill up the car with different octane gas and the performance improves? Sorry, I know I'm a total newbie at this!
Old 01-16-2008, 01:05 AM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

The car has to be tuned for the better gas for it to make a difference in the car. When you order from either Brenspeed or Bama, they will offer you three different tunes...If you live in an area where the highest octane is 91, I would get one 87 octane tune (incase you cant find 91) and two different 91 octane tunes. Once you upload one of the 91 tunes, fill up the tank with 91 at the pump. Same thing goes for the 93 octane.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:16 AM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

just dont run the car with 87 if it's tuned for 93! better put 93(or other higher octane) in on lower tune, run it thru then switch to higher octane tune. The tune that is on the tuner accounts for Air/fuel ratio (as there is more air coming in via the CAI) timing, octane among many other things. The intakes that advertise that they can be run without tunes are not worth it IMO. Get a good intake, any of the top ones are relatively equal, more or less pick which one you think looks best. C&L, JLT, Steeda, are all comparable. I would reccomend Brenspeed, get a CAI+Tune package with the tuner, and you will love it.

HTH!
Old 01-16-2008, 06:51 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Even an 87 octane custom tune kicks **** over the stock 87 octane tune. The CAI alone will only net you MAYBE 5HP; the tune alone MAYBE 15 HP. Put the two together, always. The install is easy and, as far as the tune is concerned, you can change tunes in a matter of minutes. Also, you can reinstall the stock intake and tune relatively fast if needed. Absolutely the CAI & tune isone of the best 1st mods.

Screw the warranty if you want to have fun...
Old 01-16-2008, 08:00 AM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

CAI and tune will do for you what used to take us an entire weekend (expensive parts and tools) and a lot of bloody knuckles.

Please do a search (yahoo or google) on advancing timing and retarding timing and you will understand better and why there are "93, 91, 89 and 87 octane tunes".

IMHO, the day after you bring her home you should buy the kit. I waited all of 400 miles before doing mine (exhaust too). I guess my signature says my feelings.........it's a no brainer

cheers

Old 01-16-2008, 08:51 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

If you do have an issue after installing the CAI, you WILL have to go to court to prove your case. Ford has more money than you so...................
Old 01-16-2008, 08:04 PM
slice66

Is it better to have a shop do a custom tune or just use a brenspeed tuner myself? a shop Ive been talking to said they would tune it then use k&n cai. I think c&l would be better.thanks for the help
Old 01-17-2008, 09:15 AM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

Slice, the use of the tuner is a piece of cake. If you can use an up and down arrow and turn your key then you'll do it. As for the CAI, if you can use a screwdriver and wrench you can do that too.

CAI/tuner combos and I'll say it agin comes down to

How much do you want to pay? You can buy pretty ones, ugly ones, inflated price ones. it's up to you.

Personally, I'm just as happy with a Filet Mignon steak for $20 from my local restaurant as I am with a $50 Filet Mignon from Ruths Chris. Oh, sorry, For $30 more I get to say...I ate at Ruths Chris. I'd rather eat twice at the local restaurant. You get my point I hope.

There is a guy in Florida, www.vmptuning.com that does a great job, knows these cars, drives these cars and has a package for under $500 which has a basic CAI but you get the tunes and XCAL. You can spend more with him for other brand CAIs if you wish. It's not an open challenge but he knows his stuff and I'd put him head to head with any of the other guys that get mentioned all the time on these forums. You don't know me, you don't know others on the forum (maybe you do) so you must make your own decision. We in this community are just here to share our experiences which helps us all. Whatever your choice, GET A COMBO PACKAGE AND STOP DEBATING WITH YOURSELF. You'll be glad you did.

Quick Reply: CAI and Tuning question