Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Are 10s really that difficult with S197?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 10:23 AM
EXile88GT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Are 10s really that difficult with S197?

with a forged small block anything is possible
more boost and some funny gas =)
with a good tune that is...
Old 02-04-2008, 10:34 AM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Well Jim III from JDm is now in the 10's N/A. He's got a stroker motor and a custom TCI converter, otherwise a stock 5R55s.
Many vendors are very deceptive with their 'stock' claims because they never tell anyone how many times they break the stock stuff. They do that to sell more stuff so you guys will think you can do this and that on stock parts. They negelect to mention that to do what they do, you better own a shop like them and be willing to replace parts everytime you run the car...[:'(]

As a rule of thumb I like to see at least one customer with a car that performs anywhere near what the vendor claims before I take what they claim as serious and doable/practical.

As for the OP - It is 100% correct that as you get faster (more HP), you will spend LOTS and LOTS of oney for every 10th. It's not a simple matter of putting on another bolt-on and calculating the difference. The faster you go, the more and more difficult it is to get HP and speed and it keeps getting harder and harder as you go up in power.

This is the reason, there is only a handful of S197 true 'steet cars' running mid 10's or better. And this is talking about built motors too![&:] Just buying a built motor is only the beginning guys, not the solution to going fast...

You want to run 10's on a street car? Count on spending at least 20K if you want it to last...
Old 02-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: modaddict

Well Jim III from JDm is now in the 10's N/A. He's got a stroker motor and a custom TCI converter, otherwise a stock 5R55s.
Many vendors are very deceptive with their 'stock' claims because they never tell anyone how many times they break the stock stuff. They do that to sell more stuff so you guys will think you can do this and that on stock parts. They negelect to mention that to do what they do, you better own a shop like them and be willing to replace parts everytime you run the car...

As a rule of thumb I like to see at least one customer with a car that performs anywhere near what the vendor claims before I take what they claim as serious and doable/practical.

As for the OP - It is 100% correct that as you get faster (more HP), you will spend LOTS and LOTS of oney for every 10th. It's not a simple matter of putting on another bolt-on and calculating the difference. The faster you go, the more and more difficult it is to get HP and speed and it keeps getting harder and harder as you go up in power.

This is the reason, there is only a handful of S197 true 'steet cars' running mid 10's or better. And this is talking about built motors too! Just buying a built motor is only the beginning guys, not the solution to going fast...

You want to run 10's on a street car? Count on spending at least 20K if you want it to last...
I've argued with a few guys about the "stock" transmission. They went threw it and replaced all the bands/clutchs and moving parts with bigger stronger beefier pieces. Even then I wonder how many runs they get out of ONE tranny.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Many vendors are very deceptive with their 'stock' claims because they never tell anyone how many times they break the stock stuff. They do that to sell more stuff so you guys will think you can do this and that on stock parts. They negelect to mention that to do what they do, you better own a shop like them and be willing to replace parts everytime you run the car...

This is the reason, there is only a handful of S197 true 'steet cars' running mid 10's or better. And this is talking about built motors too! Just buying a built motor is only the beginning guys, not the solution to going fast...

What tranny are you using Moddadict?

Or is that foranother thread? We are all still patiently waiting for the rotating assembly write up BTW.

It's all great info.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:45 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

He has the 4r70w with full manual valve body, I believe.
At his power level it is one of the few choices.

I dont think Jim Jr's (JDM) yellow car is in the 10s. He was posting about being in the 11s before though.
That is a stoker motor by the way.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:14 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Simon1

I've argued with a few guys about the "stock" transmission. They went threw it and replaced all the bands/clutchs and moving parts with bigger stronger beefier pieces. Even then I wonder how many runs they get out of ONE tranny.
Not many. The problem is no matter what you do to the stock 5r55, the fact remains that NO ONE makes a better input shaft. That is the weak link of the tranny and no matter what bands, clutches, etc. etc you put in there, you still have the stock input shaft. Some gys are working on it but as of today, nobody has one so guys spending big money rebuilding the 5r55 are wasting their time IMO because as soon as you throw serious torque at it, that input shaft is going to snap...

Yes, I have a custom full manual 4r70 with no lock-up. I have about 5K in my trans. For a street car with big power, the 4r70 or a stout 6-speed are really your only choices right now. Almost all of the guys with my power levels have a 4r70 set-up. The exception is guys like JDM and JPC but they ONLY reason they don't is because they use there shop cars to sell parts for them. If they didn't - they would have a 4r70 too...
Old 02-04-2008, 04:07 PM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

Given a handful of folks have made 11s with the stock block, I think 10s are possible with bolt-ons, carefully selected weight reduction and suspension components, nitrous and lots of seat time. I fully expect high 11s next month with bolt-ons most of you folks already have, plus Comp stage III cams. Dropping a full second off a hundred shot is very doable, I think. Not that I'm going to try (then you need a cage, etc), but I think it's very close to being doable.

John
Old 02-04-2008, 04:10 PM
JimIII@JDM
1st Gear Member

Mark,

My car has had the stock trans since day one, we added the TCI converter just over the fall. I had a precision converter in the car when i was out in California and it was giving me problems.

3 Times we have replaced the trans?? You know this??

We have replaced it twice. Once we did bust it once in FFW Arizonabut that was the stock trans after 20,000 miles and ALL of our Automatic Trans tuning on that car. The second time we replaced it because the trans started to slip and we thought it was on its way out. So we put a new stocker 5R55 in and it still slipped! So thats when we found out that the trans had to be at a certain temperature to perform the way we wanted it (at our power level!)

So we added a trans heater and since then (March 07) over 100 1/4 mile passes later and till this date it still is running that transmission!

My father has spent alot of time on our automatic tunes, we have only hurt 1 Transmission!!! and it was the one we did all our testing on and it was after 200+ 1/4 mile passes.

I have 4 customers that have run 10's on the stock engine and 5R55 Transmission.

Dyno Joe 10.58
Sean Makin (GTMackAttack) 10.66
Joe Intravia 10.94
Anthony Importuna 10.98

All Saleen Supercharged at 14-15 psi boost
All Stock 5R55 Transmissions

Dyno Joes, Sean Makins, and Joe Intravias all had PI converters

These cars were all tuned on Race fuel and running race tunes.

JimIII

Old 02-04-2008, 05:37 PM
JimIII@JDM
1st Gear Member

LOL - how many times have they replaced the stock 5r55? (3 that I know of and probably LOT's more) That motor is also nowhere near a 281ci (either is the blue car. In fact, the blue car is pushing around 340ci...

JDM is very deceptive with their 'stock' claims because they never tell anyone how many times they break the stock stuff. They do that to sell more stuff so you guys will think you can do this and that on stock parts. They negelect to mention that to do what they do, you better own a shop like them and be willing to replace parts everytime you run the car...[:'(]

They are not the only ones - many vendors do it. As a rule of thumb I like to see at least one customer with a car that performs anywhere near what the vendor claims before I take what they claim as serious and doable/practical. In JDM's case, there's not one single customer car that is anywhere near the numbers they make and the reason is because you can't without replacing parts (like complete transmissions and motors) on a regular basis... So take JDM numbers with a grain of salt.

This is the reason, there is only a handful of S197 true 'steet cars' running mid 10's or better. And this is talking about built motors too![&:] Just buying a built motor is only the beginning guys, not the solution to going fast...

Hey **** Bird, get your facts straight, man you make up the most insane stuff!!!

My converter isnt custom its an off the shelf TCI 3500 stall street fighter and ive been saying that since day one.

The blue car is 298 cu in, where the hell did you come up with 340, probably because your trying to make any excuse as to why we are running so fast. Did you ever stop to think that its just because we have got our act together and know what we are doing???

WE HAVE ONLY BROKEN ONE STOCK TRANS, what the hell else have we broken!!!??? we have hundreds of 05-07 customers out there with ZERO Problems!!!

For your information the only parts we ever had to replace on the Blue car this entire race season with over 100 1/4 mile passes on it in 2007 alone was spark plugs and supercharger belts every other race just to make sure they were always in perfect shape. We never broke a single thing!!!!! The only thing we busted was your *** in California!!!

I just name 4 customers on the stock engine running times that NO ONE ELSE ON THE STOCK ENGINEIS RUNNING NEAR!!!

dont try and discredit my companys name, this is the only website your still allowed to post on because of all the lies and trash talk you have started.

JimIII

Old 02-04-2008, 05:41 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Quick Reply: Are 10s really that difficult with S197?