Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help! Whippled stang running dangerously lean!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Default Help! Whippled stang running dangerously lean!

I just finished installing my autometer gauges. Here is how they read:

Electric Boost- Sits around -20 at idle.

Electric Fuel pressure- Sits around 29 to 30 PSI at idle and under low acceleration.

Wideband O2- Here is the scary one. My wideband is reading between 15.0 and 15.3 at idle and stays in this range under gentle acceleration. I haven't pushed the pedal into the boost since the gauges have been installed, mostly because the O2 reading at idle scares the hell out of me.

Could I have installed the O2 gauge wrong?

Is such a high Air/Fuel reading normal at idle?

What are other supercharged people's wideband readings at idle?

In case the following info is helpful:

I installed the O2 sensor that came with the gauge between my exhaust manifold and catalytic converter on the driver's side of the car. I ran the power feed for the gauge to the passenger side fuse panel and tapped a switched 12V connection with an add-a-fuse.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:38 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Help! Whippled stang running dangerously lean!

You do know that cars run lean at idle / lower RPM's, right? Under partial load, your car is in closed loop operation which tries to maintain 14.7 A/F (stoich). Hammer on it, and I bet you will see 11:1
Old 02-07-2008, 05:42 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

Those numbers are ok for idle and cruise. This is when the pcm is in closed loop and strives for 14.7 (14.64 is the true # for the 3V)

I have not used the Autometer wide band before, so I can't say about its calibration procedures or accuracy. from what I have seen, the pass. kick panel fuse box has a master power relay. Basically, turn the key to the on pos. ,it has power. Turn the key to cranking, it cuts power until key is released. I originally had my Innovate WB powered to it. But it would start recalling the wb due to this quick power on/off.

Casey
[/align]
Old 02-07-2008, 05:47 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Nineinch thats normal my ran 14.9-15.3 at idle when you go WOT should drop at first to high 10's low 11's and settle in around 11.5 -11.9 depending on the tune.

Hey by any any chance do you know or if you talk to your tuner can you post how much total timing are you running?

Old 02-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HaneyMotorsport.Com

Those numbers are ok for idle and cruise. This is when the pcm is in closed loop and strives for 14.7 (14.64 is the true # for the 3V)

I have not used the Autometer wide band before, so I can't say about its calibration procedures or accuracy. from what I have seen, the pass. kick panel fuse box has a master power relay. Basically, turn the key to the on pos. ,it has power. Turn the key to cranking, it cuts power until key is released. I originally had my Innovate WB powered to it. But it would start recalling the wb due to this quick power on/off.

Casey
[/align]
As far as I could tell when choosing a fuse to tap for the gauges, the passenger kick panel fuse box has some fuses that are constant 12V, some that are switched 12V with no power during cranking, and some that are switched 12V with constant power during cranking. The one I tapped into is switched 12V with constant power during cranking as far as I can tell, but I will double check.

I'm aware that the stang is trying to reach 14.7 at idle, but doesn't 15.0-15.3 seem excessively lean, even at idle? I suppose I'll take the car out tonight and open her up through second gear to see how it reads. If it remains lean, I'll just abort the run. Wish me luck.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TJ

Nineinch thats normal my ran 14.9-15.3 at idle when you go WOT should drop at first to high 10's low 11's and settle in around 11.5 -11.9 depending on the tune.

Hey by any any chance do you know or if you talk to your tuner can you post how much total timing are you running?

Thanks bro, you just put my mind at ease. I'm running the FRPP calibration right now, but I will be getting dyno tuned in about two weeks. I'll be posting a thread with TONS of info when I hit the dyno.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:00 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nineinchnail1024

ORIGINAL: TJ

Thanks bro, you just put my mind at ease. I'm running the FRPP calibration right now, but I will be getting dyno tuned in about two weeks. I'll be posting a thread with TONS of info when I hit the dyno.
Ok I am thinking of Tassy.

Hey if you could when you post that info if his dyno has the option if could you post a graph also of theboost (psi)and the dyno in sae corrected along with the total timing.

TIA
Old 02-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

If I can get it in a format that I can post, then no problem.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:14 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

ORIGINAL: HaneyMotorsport.Com

Casey
[/align]
As far as I could tell when choosing a fuse to tap for the gauges, the passenger kick panel fuse box has some fuses that are constant 12V, some that are switched 12V with no power during cranking, and some that are switched 12V with constant power during cranking. The one I tapped into is switched 12V with constant power during cranking as far as I can tell, but I will double check.

I'm aware that the stang is trying to reach 14.7 at idle, but doesn't 15.0-15.3 seem excessively lean, even at idle? I suppose I'll take the car out tonight and open her up through second gear to see how it reads. If it remains lean, I'll just abort the run. Wish me luck.
15-15.3 is Really Not lean for idle and cruise. You should watch it during light tip in. If it goes to or more than around 16 , it may be a companied with a slight hesitation. At that point, it could be richened up. Who's tune is it?

You may be right on the fuse panel. I checked one, which was a switched 12v, but during cranking, cut the power.

Casey
Old 02-07-2008, 07:34 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I suppose I'll take the car out tonight and open her up through second gear to see how it reads. If it remains lean, I'll just abort the run. Wish me luck.
It's tonight! Your fuel pressure should read in the 70's during WOT with the whipple tune.

Quick Reply: Help! Whippled stang running dangerously lean!