Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Anyone had Borla Stingers & Flowmaster ATs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 02:20 AM
DoctorQ
2nd Gear Member

Default Anyone had Borla Stingers & Flowmaster ATs?

Man... I feel like an exhaust junkie... can't get a good fix. I've been running Flowmaster ATs (with stock H & cats) for the past year, and have been real happy with the sound. Very minimal drone and good note. But like others here, over time I guess I've gotten use to the sound and now I'm beginning to feel they are too mellow. My question is: anyone have experience with both Flowmaster ATs AND Borla Stingers? Specifically what I'd like to know is are the Stingers that much louder? The flows have a great note when you open it up (and at WOT), but fairly tame at idle and lower RPMs. I've got an auto, so more susceptible to the dreaded low RPM drone (1700-2000 range). As long as my head doesn't explode, I can tolerate more drone... so tell me, how do the Stingers compare to the Flowmaster ATs in an auto GT with stock H and cats? Will my teeth rattle at low RPMs? Thanks
Old 02-10-2008, 06:46 AM
2005MustangGtGuy
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone had Borla Stingers & Flowmaster ATs?

I upgarded to frpp stingers from flowmaster a/ts. The stingers are much, much louder from start up all the way through the rpm's. My car sounds like a beast when you get on it. There is some drone around 1800-2000 rpm, but it is easy to control with the gas pedal
Old 02-10-2008, 10:31 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Just add an O/R-H
Old 02-10-2008, 10:57 AM
SonicBlue05GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stoenr

Just add an O/R-H
running the flows with no cats sounds TERRIBLE.. more like a machine fun firing off into a metal trash can than a Mustang. that setup only sounded good on previous Mustangs. []
Old 02-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Thats a matter of opinion, like every other exhaust note.
But I removed my flows and kept the O.R-H because it was just to damn loud for a DD.
Now I have a nice medium. I really like the stock muffs with an O/R-H
Old 02-10-2008, 12:14 PM
DoctorQ
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for feedback. I'm in California... so basically the only thing I can swap out are the axle-backs. I was curious how the Stingers compare to the Flows with cats and stock H, and if the drone was much more prevalent w/ the Stingers.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:17 PM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

The drone could be annoying sometimes with the stingers, but it can be easily controlled by turning off the OD or swapping to different gear ratio.

I even added an O/R H which intensified the drone. But I still love it since you have to give something to get the best sounding exhaust!
Old 02-11-2008, 01:13 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stoenr

Thats a matter of opinion, like every other exhaust note.
But I removed my flows and kept the O.R-H because it was just to damn loud for a DD.
Now I have a nice medium. I really like the stock muffs with an O/R-H
+ with the o/r h and the stock mufflers, I think it sounds really good, too bad the tips look so sad. Im looking forward to taking my macs off for a bit while they go in for surgery . I just put my stock h back in also and its so quiet it feels stock. Im going with o/r x
Old 02-11-2008, 02:23 AM
dskyline
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rshamekh

The drone could be annoying sometimes with the stingers, but it can be easily controlled by turning off the OD or swapping to different gear ratio.

I even added an O/R H which intensified the drone. But I still love it since you have to give something to get the best sounding exhaust!
I Agree with rshamekh. The drone is not that bad and after about a year with the stingers I would NOT trade them at all. I get more comments about the sound being soooo deep.
Good Luck and enjoy......
Old 02-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pignprogress
+ with the o/r h and the stock mufflers, I think it sounds really good, too bad the tips look so sad. Im looking forward to taking my macs off for a bit while they go in for surgery . I just put my stock h back in also and its so quiet it feels stock. Im going with o/r x
I had 4" Magnaflow tips welded on

Quick Reply: Anyone had Borla Stingers & Flowmaster ATs?