Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Pulled my plugs @ 15K and...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:05 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Pulled my plugs @ 15K and...

ORIGINAL: scrmngt

Hi guys...long time viewer,infrequent participator...but enjoy reading the forum! The spark plug thing has got me concerned. I've only got a little over 5k on my 06 GT and I would like to know why the plugs are getting carbon fouled after such as short period of time. Is this because of a tune? Would a tune help the condition? I am very close to getting a C & L inatke and tune from BAMA this kind of heightens my concern. I have anF150 that actually spit a plug out at 120K 3 yrs ago...(I blamed the dealer for damaged the threads...got me nowhere!) I don't want to run into the same issues. Thanks!
Get the intake and tune allready! Remove your plugs now. Put some anti-seize on them and don't worry about it.

Some of ya'll should be driving a different car IMO. This is a mans car. Men break things!
Old 03-24-2008, 08:26 PM
scrmngt
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Hi guys...long time viewer,infrequent participator...but enjoy reading the forum! The spark plug thing has got me concerned. I've only got a little over 5k on my 06 GT and I would like to know why the plugs are getting carbon fouled after such as short period of time. Is this because of a tune? Would a tune help the condition? I am very close to getting a C & L inatke and tune from BAMA this kind of heightens my concern. I have anF150 that actually spit a plug out at 120K 3 yrs ago...(I blamed the dealer for damaged the threads...got me nowhere!) I don't want to run into the same issues. Thanks!
Get the intake and tune allready! Remove your plugs now. Put some anti-seize on them and don't worry about it.

Some of ya'll should be driving a different car IMO. This is a mans car. Men break things!
Yep..I'm there on the intake and tune...yep gonna remove the plugs/anti seize...yea...but gott a tell ya...being a machinist for over 25 years, I make a good living a fixing things that people break...and it's usuallyblatent stupidity or lack of information. Again...just trying to learn and become better informed...and again so far, still no reasonable answer on why the plugs look like they were dropped in a tar bucket.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:09 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Yep..I'm there on the intake and tune...yep gonna remove the plugs/anti seize...yea...but gott a tell ya...being a machinist for over 25 years, I make a good living a fixing things that people break...and it's usuallyblatent stupidity or lack of information. Again...just trying to learn and become better informed...and again so far, still no reasonable answer on why the plugs look like they were dropped in a tar bucket.

OK. Look at the head design. The plugs go into a tube like recess and that it where the carbon collects. Between the walls of the "tube" and the plug. It's like a knat's *** clearance and the force of the combustion can't get into there to keep the area clean like the rest of the cumbustion chamber. Kind of a backwater area in river terms.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:26 PM
scrmngt
1st Gear Member

Got it! Not really the best design...thanks for the help
Old 03-24-2008, 09:29 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

I saw a set of heads on the bay a few week ago for like $500. If I had some coin just laying around, might have been a good investment. Only had 12K miles on them.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

Here is a picture of my stock plugs (at 15k miles) which I removed last night.

Unlike Embalmer's plugs @ 15k, they didn't have any carbon build-up, just some rust. I wonder if that may be due to running a 93 octane tune.

Edit: I always use Mobil 93 octane.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:03 PM
Embalmer
1st Gear Member

Just to clear up a few things I do have a Brenspeed tune/CAI. Most times I run the 93 octane version but this winter I switched back to the 87 tune. I always ALWAYS use Shell V-Power when I'm running the 93 tune. I just recently ran on the dyno and my A/F ratio was a bit leaner than normal, so the buildup isn't because I was running rich. I believe it has a great deal to do with the design of the combustion chamber and the head, which, as mentioned above, necessitates the long plug design.

Here's the dynograph:

Old 03-25-2008, 12:08 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Looks like PB Blaster and surface rust mixed together. No biggie.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:03 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I didn't think that stuff was rust. I thought it was just a byproduct of combustion. Anyway, mine looked the same.

ORIGINAL: Black GT

Here is a picture of my stock plugs (at 15k miles) which I removed last night.

Unlike Embalmer's plugs @ 15k, they didn't have any carbon build-up, just some rust. I wonder if that may be due to running a 93 octane tune.

Edit: I always use Mobil 93 octane.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:45 AM
scrmngt
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

They aren't fouled and they are supposed to look like that given our head design. If you use a high detergent gasoline, or add techron evey month or so, they will be cleaner IMO and should come out easier as a result.
http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html as stated...using top tier should improve the condition sigificantly.

Quick Reply: Pulled my plugs @ 15K and...