Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

1 Out of 8 Spark Plugs Broken After 96,000 Miles and Performing the TSB

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 06:55 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 1 Out of 8 Spark Plugs Broken After 96,000 Miles and Performing the TSB

ORIGINAL: Hicompression

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Here's what you need.

http://www.nextag.com/ASTRO-PNEUMATI...52/prices-html

If you can't use one to grab onto the strap, you could use the 45 degree ones to grip the inside wall of the plug and pull it out. Just stick it down in there, open it up and pull it out. How about a coat hanger with some some tape wrapped backwards around the end?
Yeah those might work if the darn ceramic insulator wasn't still broken off inside of the shield. There's really not enough room to grab the outside rim of the shield with those.
That's what the tape and coat hanger is for. Is the ceramic attached to the metal shield? so does the ceramic fill up the whole shield? I guess I was thinking it was a small piece towards the top, but that doesn't really make any sense.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 1 Out of 8 Spark Plugs Broken After 96,000 Miles and Performing the TSB

That's what the tape and coat hanger is for. Is the ceramic attached to the metal shield? so does the ceramic fill up the whole shield? I guess I was thinking it was a small piece towards the top, but that doesn't really make any sense.
This is what I'm dealing with...this is the part broken off inside the head. I broke one of the other plugs on purpose to simulate what I have going on.

[IMG]local://upfiles/38521/9CC1A9160F4246B1AE7A59E34753B7D1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/38521/242476A199474A1DACDF6049EE0F7BAD.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-30-2008, 07:50 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

all you need is a thin piece of stiff wire. Fashion a hook on the end that will still fit through the hole in the ceramic and go fishing! Atleast it can't fall in to the cylinder from the looks of it.

thanks for the pic.

ORIGINAL: Hicompression

This is what I'm dealing with...this is the part broken off inside the head. I broke one of the other plugs on purpose to simulate what I have going on.

[IMG]local://upfiles/38521/9CC1A9160F4246B1AE7A59E34753B7D1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/38521/242476A199474A1DACDF6049EE0F7BAD.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-30-2008, 08:32 PM
peteway
2nd Gear Member

did they actually come out with a TSB for this issue?
Old 03-30-2008, 08:57 PM
hotairgypsy
3rd Gear Member

how about this idea...take a rod the same diameter or smaller and coat it with epoxy and slide it in the hole util it bottoms out on the loop part...let it setup overnight and pull it out tomorrow...i think that would get the ceramic out
Old 03-30-2008, 08:57 PM
alanlee112
1st Gear Member

I'm thinking out loud here and it's tough to figure out without actually seeing it but - but, what if you plugged the hole so no chips can fall through the hole in the ceramic. Then, is it possible to screw a long screw into the ceramic so you can try to at least pull the ceramic out? I have no idea if you could thread something into ceramic as it would probably just break/crack but worth a thought.

Or, if you are still trying to pop the plug out of there like a cork maybe also still plug that hole so nothing can escape.

Good luck. I hope you figure it out. That's quite a challenge. I have 15k on my Mustang and I had the dealership pull the plugs already and add anti-sieze. My Champions should be here on Tuesday so I can install those. The dealer did say the plugs were a bit tight coming out but no issues. (and I'm pretty sure they just pulled them - I doubt they did it according to the TSB)

Let us know how you figure it out. I hope you don't have to pull the head. [:'(]
Old 03-30-2008, 09:06 PM
sidmanic
2nd Gear Member

One question for those who have broken plugs before, was this the first time that you removed the plugs on the engine or had you swapped them out before?
Old 03-30-2008, 09:10 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: alanlee112

I'm thinking out loud here and it's tough to figure out without actually seeing it but - but, what if you plugged the hole so no chips can fall through the hole in the ceramic. Then, is it possible to screw a long screw into the ceramic so you can try to at least pull the ceramic out? I have no idea if you could thread something into ceramic as it would probably just break/crack but worth a thought.

Or, if you are still trying to pop the plug out of there like a cork maybe also still plug that hole so nothing can escape.

Good luck. I hope you figure it out. That's quite a challenge. I have 15k on my Mustang and I had the dealership pull the plugs already and add anti-sieze. My Champions should be here on Tuesday so I can install those. The dealer did say the plugs were a bit tight coming out but no issues. (and I'm pretty sure they just pulled them - I doubt they did it according to the TSB)

Let us know how you figure it out. I hope you don't have to pull the head. [:'(]

It would just crack and you don't want chips down in there. You could use a welding rod with a ball of quick setting epoxy on the end of it.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hotairgypsy

how about this idea...take a rod the same diameter or smaller and coat it with epoxy and slide it in the hole util it bottoms out on the loop part...let it setup overnight and pull it out tomorrow...i think that would get the ceramic out
[sm=goodidea.gif]That's a good idea...might have to try that...maybe it will pull the whole dang thing out.

ORIGINAL: alanlee112
[sm=goodidea.gif]Actually, this is a good idea and I've already tried it. Cylinder pressure was escaping out the hole when the car was running (and making quite a racket too...) so I cut the original electrode from what was left of the plug, put crazy glue on it and stuffed it back into the hole. I waited thirty minutes and the plug is now holding compression. Now...the question is, is can I grasp the electrode with a pair of needle nose pliers and pull on it as suggested above and pull the the whole thing out? To be continued tomorrow after work...
Old 03-31-2008, 07:17 PM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

Well...I fired up the car trying to blow the shield out today. No such luck. I even drove around the block with seven cylinders firing to see if putting the engine under load would help. Nada...the frustration factor just rose another notch.

Back to letting the shield soak in carburetor cleaner.

Quick Reply: 1 Out of 8 Spark Plugs Broken After 96,000 Miles and Performing the TSB