Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

SLP or PYPES

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 05:04 PM
ZeroIngold
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: SLP or PYPES

Well that did not help much. except for the last one who had both. It will cost me 300 for the pypes and then I could sell the lms but I don't really see if it is worth the hassle of doing the swap.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:50 PM
pitchdogg
1st Gear Member

SLPs are a quick way to get noticed often by the police, plus if you later decide to get LT's the SLP's sound like hot garbage. Pypes, although I've seen mixed reviews on their mid muff system,I'm sorry, their products have severe fitment issues.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:59 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

My pypes mm ssytem arrived yesterday so i'll be installing tomorrow which i am dreading. I actually emailed Pypes this weekend asking them why all their products have fitment issues. Here is their response...

Copied directly from my email...

"Unfortunatlly fitment issues you read about on forums are almost 99% of the time due to the installer. We have tested and retested our systems for fitment without any issues on 05's through 08's. We currently own an 05 hardtop and an 06 convertible. Remember take everything you read about with a grain of salt, not everyone is a mechanic!!
"
Old 07-03-2008, 12:19 PM
tombohum
3rd Gear Member

I have the pypes muffler delete,(similar to SLP) and I think it sounds perfect! I say keep what you have and spend the $300 on something else.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:33 PM
pitchdogg
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5SPD07GT

My pypes mm ssytem arrived yesterday so i'll be installing tomorrow which i am dreading. I actually emailed Pypes this weekend asking them why all their products have fitment issues. Here is their response...

"Unfortunatlly fitment issues you read about on forums are almost 99% of the time due to the installer. We have tested and retested our systems for fitment without any issues on 05's through 08's. We currently own an 05 hardtop and an 06 convertible. Remember take everything you read about with a grain of salt, not everyone is a mechanic!!
"
Wow are they serious? Their Mustangs must be made in China like their products. BOOOOOO!
Old 07-04-2008, 12:51 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

orrrrrrr you could go to summitt and just order the same mufflers that pypes uses on the MM system and get them welded in and keep the slp out back since they are basically tips, thats what I plan on doing since I have my slp powder coated and I dont like the look of the mm tips compared to the slp. my car is retaded loud with o/r and slp lm.

so many peeps on here say lm sound bad with o/r pipe and blahblah, but then they hear it in person and what do you know everybody is asking what set up you have cause it sounds mean as hell.

Heres the MM on summtt, shouldnt cost to much to get welded in, I had shop quote me $45

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
Old 07-04-2008, 07:03 AM
jmose77
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pitchdogg

SLPs are a quick way to get noticed often by the police, plus if you later decide to get LT's the SLP's sound like hot garbage. Pypes, although I've seen mixed reviews on their mid muff system,I'm sorry, their products have severe fitment issues.
??? Not true at all. I have had my car in St. Louis, Indy, & Nashville and plenty of other places and not one cop messed with me. As far as the sound I only get complements on
how good it sounds. http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/k...Mustang3_1.flv Oh, and just what exactly does hot garbage sound like?
Old 07-04-2008, 10:32 AM
pitchdogg
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jmose77

ORIGINAL: pitchdogg

??? Not true at all. I have had my car in St. Louis, Indy, & Nashville and plenty of other places and not one cop messed with me. As far as the sound I only get complements on
how good it sounds. http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/k...Mustang3_1.flv Oh, and just what exactly does hot garbage sound like?
In California this is the case. Hot garbage is bad, so figuratively it sounds bad.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Matrix

ORIGINAL: 5SPD07GT

"
I just got an 06 GT vert. so I am new here but have been a car guy forever. I have been on the Performanceyears forum (old Pontiacs) for quite some time. This is where PYPES got started. The owner of Performance Years statred making exhaust for classic Pontiacs. For years on that forum it was reported by posters that the fitment was very hit or miss. Sometimes good and sometimes terrible. Pypes answer was always the same. The person doing the installation isnt doing it right. Then the person would take it to a shop and the shop would have to bend pipes to correct the fit and PYPES would say the shop also doesnt know what they are doing. I went thru this personally. I have installed at least 50 exhaust systems by different manufacturers over the years but they told me I didnt know what I was doing. Then had a VERY well respected custom exhaust shop in my area fix it by bending the tailpipes and were told they too were incompetent. Pypes Quality control sucks. Very hit or miss! and their biggest error is failing to recognize their issues and correcting them.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:45 PM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dschmink

You get what you pay for.
quite true,and sometimes that is just a name is why you pay a higher price

Street Pro axle backs, no issues, I removed the spacer in the clamps so they could tighten more and so far, no leaks, no rattles, nice sound, and $400 more in my bank account because I didn't buy "a name"

Quick Reply: SLP or PYPES