Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

NEW TO FORUMS- BROKEN SPARK PLUG QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 07:17 AM
05GTRACING

Default NEW TO FORUMS- BROKEN SPARK PLUG QUESTION

Hello everyone, I am new to the mustang forums. I been reading on several previous threads about the problem that I am having, I was tring to perform a basic tune-up when two of my plugs broke off right at the shaft below the threaded part ofthe spark plug. Now I have a good basic idea on how it should be removed, first I am going to try to remove the porcelain that is in the ground shield. I am going to be attempting this procedure by using a steel welding rod with jb weld smeared on to the end of the rod, and gently put down in the center of the porcelain. After letting it cure I will be pulling it out. If they both come out with this procedure I will be puschasing the tool needed to extract the gound shield. Now I've seen two of these tools on ebay. The fisrt one is the Ford Rotunda Tool Kit TKIT-2006SP-FLMwhich cost 249.99. The second is the Cal-Van's 3V spark plug sleeve extractor this one is the same tool kit but cheaper it is 79.99.

1. First question, have anyone of you all made a mistake while tryng to remove the broken part of the spark plug the resulted in having to remove the head? If so what mistake?

2. Do you all think I should purchase the Ford Rotunda toolfor 170 more than the cheaper version?

3. Does any one have any other ways that they have removed the porcelain part other than the method I plan to use?
Old 07-26-2008, 07:53 AM
Lt. Frank Bullitt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: NEW TO FORUMS- BROKEN SPARK PLUG QUESTION

Do you have a copy of the Ford TSB they put out concerning these sparkplugs?
Old 07-26-2008, 10:08 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Old 07-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Man, I am sorry to hear this. I feel your pain, I had 6 of 8 break (38K miles on the clock). Good luck. What plugs are you going back with? Don't forget the nickel anti-seize (keep it off the firing end and threads, just a thin coat on the ground electrode shield).
Old 07-26-2008, 12:10 PM
05GTRACING

Has anyone had to remove the cylinder header to repair the broken part of the spark plug?
Old 07-26-2008, 01:42 PM
AV8ForFun
2nd Gear Member

What plugs do you guys recommend to prevent this in the future?
Old 07-26-2008, 02:10 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Man I am scared now. I am at 10,000 miles on my '07.....should I go ahead and replace the plugs now? Will it be easier than if I do it later? Or am I effed either way?
Old 07-26-2008, 03:08 PM
AV8ForFun
2nd Gear Member

Sorry for hijack,I know search isn't working so here's a thread with a lot of information

https://mustangforums.com/m_4612371/tm.htm

Well, I wentto thedealership today, because I have a whining in the rear end. (different story). It had 35,996.6 miles when I rolled into the service line and stopped. [sm=smiley32.gif]

I told them to fix the rear end right this time, and discussed the spark plug issue with them. The Service Manager acted as if there really wasn't an issue with them, as long as they remove them correctly. I asked what the policy was about head repair etc. if they broke a plug during a change. He said that, since there was no need to change the plugs until 100K, that it would costme if the car was out of warranty, but told me that, since it was still under warranty (barely), if they broke off a plug I would not have to pay for it....I told them to go ahead and change them ($259.99 [sm=boohoo.gif]). I, also, told them I wanted the oldplugs back, too.

I figured I'll go ahead and order the one piece plugs and replace them fairly quickly, as I plan to keep this car for quite a long time....possibly until I'm gone[sm=devilangel.gif]. I don't want this to bite me in the a@@ is a few years....If I had known about this sooner, I would have been on a regular schedule of cleaning and applying antisieze as others have mentioned.

My question is should I change the plugs to one piece champions or just get into a regular service routine removing and cleaning the two piece ones?
Old 07-26-2008, 05:04 PM
05GTRACING

Alright as of rgiht now I cannot remove the porcelain piece that is stuck in the ground shield. Does anyone have some advise on how to remove the porcelain? I think once I get the porcelain out the groud shield will be easy. I ve tried sticking a welding rod with some jb weld on the tip let cure and pull, but no luck it cant seem to get a good bite. PLEASE HELP
Old 07-26-2008, 07:30 PM
AV8ForFun
2nd Gear Member

I don't know if you've done it yet, but you might try spraying a solvent into the spark plug hole and letting it soak like in the intstructions. PB Blast or Aerokroil I believe are what is recommended.

Quick Reply: NEW TO FORUMS- BROKEN SPARK PLUG QUESTION