Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

tensioner and belt for whipple

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 04:33 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by modaddict
Remember guys that your belt is going to slip a little because it has to. If your tension is to tight, you'd snap belts left and right.

Peter's (thumprr) tensioner is the ***** best IMO. I honestly would not worry about going to an 8 rib if I was under 450 rwhp, but that's just me. I'd just get the tensioner and a good gates belt.

If you're seeing a lot of belt dust, then chances are it's more of a rubbing/alignment issue than slipping. Check your belt to see if you are getting any fraying anywhere and then track the source. In some cases, one or 2 of Peter's billet 76mm smooth idlers are the easy fix as sometimes the belt likes to rub or hang on the edges of the stock idlers. The #7 pulley is also sometimes culprit (it's the ribbed one to the left of the power steering pulley).

You can go to gates website and enter your zip code and find local retailers for the belt...

http://www.gates.com/automotive/dist...ocation_id=539

thanks, i'll try just the tensioner w/ the idler, that makes me feel better since its cheaper than getting both.
and thanks for that link
Old 08-13-2008, 06:05 PM
clfrye
1st Gear Member

Per Whipple: Gates only updates there retailers parts list once a year, so that is why they don't see it yet. I was able to get a couple of belts from a non major chain auto parts store. They didn't see that part number in their computer system, but they were able to get it from their Gates distributor.

Check your idler pullies, one of mine went bad and was causing my car to through belts. (pic included)

I just got my Thumprr tensioner today. I will be trying it out shortly. I purchased two billet idler pullies. They should be here tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails tensioner and belt for whipple-pulley.jpg  
Old 08-13-2008, 06:11 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

my idler pulleys look ok. and some retailers for gates belts just tell me they dont have it. but i got a friend of mine checking w/ the distributor.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:20 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

clfrye, what size idlers did you get?
Old 08-14-2008, 02:44 PM
clfrye
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
clfrye, what size idlers did you get?
one 100mm and one 90mm

The 100mm pulley included in my HO kit was the one that went bad, but it doesn't make any sense to replace one and not the other.

stamped steel 100mm pulley - 11.2 ounces
stamped steel 90mm pulley - unknown
Billet 100mm pulley - 12.8 ounces
Billet 90mm pulley - 9.6 ounces
Old 08-14-2008, 06:47 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by onederful100
come to think of it, i've noticed the dust for a while now, but the squealing just started a few days ago. the belt looks fine, the ribs dont look shiny like they've been polished from the pulleys, but man i hate that sqealing noise, i've done some searches and i'm leaning toward this tensioner as the solution. i'm also considering an 8 rib conversion w/ the tensioner. i hate having the whipple in there but afraid to get on it bc i might strip the belt.
heres a link to the 8 rib
http://www.bggperformance.com/index....products_id=34
heres their tensioner
http://www.bggperformance.com/index....products_id=30
heres the thumper tensioner
http://shop.thump-rrrracing.com/prod...=1&productId=2

either tensioner is fine w/ me as long as it doesnt slip. anybody got any experience w/ either one, i here the thumprrr one is great, havent heard about the BGG one.
Get the thumper tensioner as it is the last one you will ever need! JDM had many saleens that bent all the others except for the thumper and thats what they sell now.
The 8 rib belt kit from BGG is the exact one I am getting and rocks! I know a few that have it and it works.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:32 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by clfrye
Per Whipple: Gates only updates there retailers parts list once a year, so that is why they don't see it yet. I was able to get a couple of belts from a non major chain auto parts store. They didn't see that part number in their computer system, but they were able to get it from their Gates distributor.

Check your idler pullies, one of mine went bad and was causing my car to through belts. (pic included)

I just got my Thumprr tensioner today. I will be trying it out shortly. I purchased two billet idler pullies. They should be here tomorrow.

Is that a gash in the metal on your idler pulley?

My 100mm idler that comes with the whipple was making a sqeaking noise at low rpms. It eventually went away by itself.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:19 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Mine did too Moose......still for a couple of seconds on start up (cold) then its gone!
Old 08-17-2008, 11:04 AM
clfrye
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Is that a gash in the metal on your idler pulley?

My 100mm idler that comes with the whipple was making a sqeaking noise at low rpms. It eventually went away by itself.
Yes, it is. The metal is separated almost 3/4 of the way around. So the pulley would wobble badly as is spun.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:23 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

So if I get the thumprr tensioner I want the one with the 90mm idler right?

Quick Reply: tensioner and belt for whipple