Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Stalls When Power Shifting?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 12:12 PM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

Default Stalls When Power Shifting?!

So I've had my GT for about a month now and I love the car but I seem to have an issue or two with it.

When power shifting and in first gear the car will simply stop producing power for a moment, almost as if I had let off of the throttle. Anyone else heard of this problem?

(And yes, TCS was off)
Old 05-13-2005, 12:34 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Stalls When Power Shifting?!

At what RPM does it happen? Unless I'm mistaken, there is a rev-limiter of sorts on it. That might be causing what you describe.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:39 PM
n8ters06

there is a rev limiter at 5700 or 5600 rpm. If u shift as soon as it hits 5 grand, you will be fine, there will be no lose of power.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:45 PM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

It stalls between 1200 and 2000 RPM. Definately not a rev limiter. =p It's odd... It happened to me again yesterday afternoon but it's a rare occurence. Any other ideas?
Old 05-15-2005, 02:31 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

I know you said TCS was off, but this sounds exactly like TCS was ON. So I'll ask the obvious just to be safe - are you SURE your hitting the TCS button - it defaults itself to traction control on at every start up. If you are postitive it is off each time, maybe it isn't actually turning off even though the button shows it is???

TCS is a pain in the rear (no pun intended) I pulled out onto a highway today in front of a car show and fully intended on getting my swerve on (sideways that is ) and the damn TCS was on. Man did I look like an idiot that missed a gear [8D]
Old 05-15-2005, 03:47 AM
dRiBz
2nd Gear Member

sowaxeman, not to be a jerk, but read what he said, he said it does it between 1200-2000 rpm. Those are REALLY low RPMs to be shifting at......obviously you will see lose of power because your trying to go to a higher gear w/out the proper speed. I dont get how you think shifting at 1200-2000 rpm is power shifting. TCS would not lose you power while powershifting. Only if he was trying to do burn outs / and get sideways like you tried. Because there is no lose of traction while power shifting. (only 1-2 might feel it of you dont just "chirp" the gear and just full on try to burn out lol.)
Old 05-15-2005, 08:34 AM
qutec2005

Interesting you mention this:

I was in 5th gear, crusing with my 4.10s running about 2400 rpm, then down shifted to 4th.

I can't recall if I blipped the throttle, 50/50 chance, but when I went to 4th, the clutch engaged and then the stall happened.

I didn't like the feeling and made the 4-5 shift. I had traction, had traction control on and see NO reason why the car did this.

I'm running a MAC cold air kit, diablo tune, and 4.10 FRPP gears.

Q
Old 05-15-2005, 12:16 PM
jammer

I've had similar experiences. I've yet to be able to do a burn out even with traction control off. The biggest problem is I get a lot of wheel hop. So I figured I was just doing it wrong. Never had this problem in my 86. Just floored it and burned.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:08 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

See your point dRibz - and I agree that 1200-2000 is a pretty low shift to expect a "power shift". But I have noticed with TCS on, that it does bog me down momentarily between first and second during a power shift. My car breaks loose pretty good in second so the TCS does its job - thats why I always try to remember to turn in off.

Old 05-15-2005, 09:23 PM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

Nono... Let me explain myself and make two things clear:

I wasn't shifting. By "power shifting" I meant that, with my AOD tranny, I was in first gear instead of drive. It was happening under acceleration.
-and-
It wasnt the TCS. TCS was off and it simply lost power.

On a further note, it's happening more frequently now including when I'm in Drive...

It's a hard loss of power, too. Ive been launched forwards by it while I'm accelerating and the engine basically stops.

o.O

I'm taking it to the dealer to have the CD player exchanged. Ill have them look at it then.

Quick Reply: Stalls When Power Shifting?!