Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Calling all Pypes Mid-Muffler owners...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 10:45 AM
goldenglory18
2nd Gear Member

Default Calling all Pypes Mid-Muffler owners...

All....
I finally got the M80's installed this weekend, and I'll be honest, I'm not THAT impressed.

Now, before everyone flips out know that I do like 'em, and it was the sound that I was going for, but what are they going to sound like after they settle?

Do these mufflers have a break-in period? I noticed that the stock mufflers definatley had a different tone after about 3K miles.

Ill get some pictures up later tonight. The shop did a great job with the custom straight pipes and upsidedown magnaflow tips!
Old 10-06-2008, 11:00 AM
SONICBOOST3
2nd Gear Member

I thought the same thing when I first had them installed and that was, "dam these seem mellow". But after a few weeks of driving I noticed how loud they got and how much they opened up. I went from stingers to the PMM and at first I could not tell that much of a difference between the two. The new pypes mid mufflers sounded pretty much the same as the stingers did fully broken in. In all honesty, once I broke the PMM in they really opened up!!!!
Old 10-06-2008, 11:39 AM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

exactly! The mm system sounds amazing. It takes a few months to break them in but once you do its awesome.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:42 AM
LRSjmac
1st Gear Member

I have one of the Pypes mid-muffler kits on my 07 & it did get louder over time.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ALL mufflers have a break in period. It's a few weeks to a few months..all depends on how much you drive. My 08GT sounded whisper quiet for the first couple of months I owned it and at one point I thought it sounded worse than my 00v6 that had dual exhaust. That changed after about two months. now it sounds wayyyyy better. (stock exhaust still)
Old 10-06-2008, 12:01 PM
goldenglory18
2nd Gear Member

Great, thanks everyone.

It's a really simple setup. The sound is great, but I still want to hear more of the motor. Its almost like these mufflers actually deaden the sound. Thats what I hope goes away after a while.

You can tell the car breathes a little bit better, but that could be in part to the C&L Intake and a 91 BAMA race tune. Throttle response is much improved and the pull is great.

Now I REALLY want the Hot Rod cams. I want this car to sound Gnarly!!!

BTW, anyone else have a burning smell after the install? It almost smells like burnt sulfur, or a slipped clutch...

Last edited by goldenglory18; 10-06-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Darkness7
3rd Gear Member

I noticed the same thing when I had PMM's, but I wasn't impressed with the sound in comparison to FRPP Stingers so I sold 'em and slapped the Stingers back on. I'm running an o/r mid pipe tho, so I'm sure its differ with a catted mid-pipe. To me the PMM's sounded too much like an F-Body Camaro....but thats my opinion. Numerous people on this forum have complained about the "drone" with the Stingers, but its not bad to me at all. You just have to know how to drive on the highway to avoid the drone. It's hard to beat the Stingers at idle as well...
Old 10-06-2008, 12:29 PM
SONICBOOST3
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Darkness7
I noticed the same thing when I had PMM's, but I wasn't impressed with the sound in comparison to FRPP Stingers so I sold 'em and slapped the Stingers back on. I'm running an o/r mid pipe tho, so I'm sure its differ with a catted mid-pipe. To me the PMM's sounded too much like an F-Body Camaro....but thats my opinion. Numerous people on this forum have complained about the "drone" with the Stingers, but its not bad to me at all. You just have to know how to drive on the highway to avoid the drone. It's hard to beat the Stingers at idle as well...
WTF! Did you let the pypes mid muffler break in? I thought they had a pretty similar sound except the pypes mid muffler sounded more open with less drone. Oh, I just noticed you are running an o/r pipe, thats probably why....
Old 10-06-2008, 12:31 PM
SONICBOOST3
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by goldenglory18
Great, thanks everyone.

It's a really simple setup. The sound is great, but I still want to hear more of the motor. Its almost like these mufflers actually deaden the sound. Thats what I hope goes away after a while.

You can tell the car breathes a little bit better, but that could be in part to the C&L Intake and a 91 BAMA race tune. Throttle response is much improved and the pull is great.

Now I REALLY want the Hot Rod cams. I want this car to sound Gnarly!!!

BTW, anyone else have a burning smell after the install? It almost smells like burnt sulfur, or a slipped clutch...

If you wanna hear more motor get longtubes, mufflers are not gonna do that for you...
Old 10-06-2008, 02:05 PM
goldenglory18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST3
If you wanna hear more motor get longtubes, mufflers are not gonna do that for you...
thats what I was thinking about. how much volume do the l/t's add? I want to hear how everything sounds after the break-in before I start to even think about headers.

Quick Reply: Calling all Pypes Mid-Muffler owners...