Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nmd55
i have the chance to buy a used steeda cai with carbon fiber inlet tube and a diablo
u7145 tuner for $600-$700

is that a good deal?

how is the diablo u7145 tuner? will i be able to buy tunes from bama or brenspeed?
That's not THAT great a deal since the Steeda CAI with the standard hi-flow elbow, tuner and 3 tunes will run you about $650. Plus, Brenspeed doesn't write tunes for the Diablo and you'll have to pay for new tunes anyway. Is the tuner unlocked? Some here have bought used tuners that weren't.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:49 PM
nmd55
3rd Gear Member

forgive my ignorance, but what does unlocked mean? Does it mean i can reuse the tunes the orginal owner had on the diablo, or that its capable of downloading new tunes.

As far as the pricing, it has a carbon fiber inlet tube, which i think is about $100 more then the regular one. Im bidding on it and i was prepared to go as high as $700 but if i can get a new steeda cai and better tuner for cheaper then ill do that
Old 11-04-2008, 02:11 PM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

Had the K&N had to replace it with the C&L
Old 11-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Unlocked means it'll accept new tunes for your car. You can't use custom tunes written for another vehicle. If it's a canned tune you might but it won't have the performance of a custom tune.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:31 PM
TAMPAGT07
2nd Gear Member

I bought a used Steeda with the plastic Steeda elbow on Craigslist (Tampa)for $125 and an UNLOCKED Excal 2 on ebay for $205. I then bought 3 tunes from dioug at Bamachips for $115. So I have $445 in the whole package. It was money well spent. Goood luck with your future purchase.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:09 PM
starman
2nd Gear Member

I went with the Granatelli. This CAI was once the "fair hair child" of the forum. I believe at the time, poor customer service is what killed them.

However, I've had mine for over a year and I bought it directly through Granatelli for under $400 and received VERY GOOD customer service.

I bought it for two reasons. One, with the price of gas, I wanted to stay at 87 octane and it comes with its own tune consisting of a re-calibrated MAF and a "chip" that plugs into the MAF harness. Essentially a "tune on a chip". And two, I think in the polished version it is the best looking CAI under the hood.

If I ever want a higher octane/greater performance tune, all I do is put in my original MAF in the tube and buy a tuner with a tune written for the Granatelli. These tunes ARE available from various tuners.

However, by my "seat of the pants" test, the CAI does a great job in improving performance I can "feel". To be fair, it has not been dynoed.

As I mentioned earlier, the polished version I bought gets many compliments at any car event I am at.

Overall, I am very pleased with the polished Granatelli CAI and the tune it comes with.

This is just another option for you.

I would own any of the other CAIs mentioned in a heartbeat. They have all proven themselves.

Good Luck

Old 11-07-2008, 02:26 PM
cbrstng08
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stealth
Thanks for all the advice so far guys. But, so do you think even though the BBK intake is on sale at American Muscle, plus the discount forum members recieve, that I should still wait until I am ready to put down the money for intake and tuner?
Dude just wait and save your money for the CAI and tune. And while your waiting and saving look everywhere for good deals: ebay, craigslist, forums, etc. I waited and ended getting both my C&L Racer Intake and Tuner Brand New for just the price of the tuner. I'm not saying your going to find that deal again but you'd be amazed at what you can find while your waiting to save the money!
Old 11-27-2008, 12:32 AM
steve_c

I just bought a Steeda going to install tomorrow.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:13 AM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

hey steve welcome good purchase! Where did you get if from?
Also where in alberta are you from?
Old 11-27-2008, 10:11 AM
yc420
2nd Gear Member

I'm waiting for my Steeda CAI/Tune from Brenspeed. It should come tomorrow (hopefully). Any tips/information I should know for the install/uninstall of my K&N intake?

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake