Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

MRT Catted H - Reviews (MRT 304SS)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 07:32 PM
Chevy Convert
2nd Gear Member

Default MRT Catted H - Reviews (MRT 304SS)

Running out of bolt on's and was wondering if anyone is familiar with catted H's?

I prefer the deeper tone to an H versus the rasp of an X. I've also heard that flows and X pipes together sound like crap. So... an X pipe is off the table if I have to change axel backs to make it sound decent.

Is anyone familiar with this or similar products? http://store.mrt-direct.com/93a200.html

Interested to hear opinions and what if any gains I could expect by switching to a high flow system. Off road is off the table as well because of emissions. I'm old and don't want to have to dick with it every year!
Old 01-21-2009, 08:58 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I've heard good things about the MRT cats. They are also about as close to an o/r pipe a cat can get (I think the Kook's cats are the same way but I won't know for sure for a few more weeks).

There was a guy who posted about these and had a video clip. Hopefully he'll see this thread.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:54 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

DRBOBVS or similiar is the screen name I think.

For emissions I would just swao the stock H back on every year but that is me. Heard good things from the 2V guys with MRT but there stuff isnt cheap.

Might want to sell my Pypes O/R H I had welded up with Pypes Hi Flow cats in it.

I think I want to try a prochamber now.

PM if interested.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:22 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangGT0405

For emissions I would just swao the stock H back on every year but that is me. Heard good things from the 2V guys with MRT but there stuff isnt cheap.

Might want to sell my Pypes O/R H I had welded up with Pypes Hi Flow cats in it.

PM if interested.
Hey why you trying to sell the H? I was thinking of welding up pypes cats on my H. What do you think about it. What changed? Sound? Volume? Thanks!
Old 01-22-2009, 06:25 PM
SONICBOOST3
2nd Gear Member

The mrt-catted H is a great mid-pipe!
Old 01-23-2009, 06:11 AM
Chevy Convert
2nd Gear Member

Any gains or am I looking more at it being louder?
Old 01-23-2009, 01:34 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaGT
Hey why you trying to sell the H? I was thinking of welding up pypes cats on my H. What do you think about it. What changed? Sound? Volume? Thanks!
Long story short I installed the O/R H and it was insanely loud with a tone I didnt like.

I was unsure of whether to get cats or resonators so i got both.

Sound is good now, but I lost some volume so i am contemplating swapping it out for a O/R prochamber. That or try some muffler deletes, but the hard part is I would like to hear it on the car before buying more exhaust parts I wont like.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:52 PM
yur1279
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangGT0405

PM if interested.
I actually bought the midpipe from him since he wants to go long tubes now. It has a nice tone to it, ect. I felt more seat of my pants torque as well. The only issue I have wiht it, is I get a rattle from the cats when the car is cold started. This sounds like the heat shields are loose.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:03 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Hey Roy,

Sorry to hear you're having rattles. I think you're right about a heat shield touching the cats. I had to bend mine up to make sure nothing touched. Glad you like the pipe otherwise. If i can find my original thread with the videos I'll post a link for the OP. Haven't gotten LT's yet, the car is still in winter storage.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:07 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

OK found it. https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...-vids-too.html

Quick Reply: MRT Catted H - Reviews (MRT 304SS)