Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Comp Thumprs Installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:16 PM
ScremnS281
2nd Gear Member

Sounds great!!! Mine had a little blirp on the dyno around 3200 rpm but I have never really felt it while driving. There was just a slight hicup in the dyno graph.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:20 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

I haven't experienced that problem. I have no hesitation in that range nor the dieseling. Mine was dyno tuned by JPC.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:14 AM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

ha only after you donate to my cam fund
Old 03-03-2009, 09:04 AM
doctorj77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hammeron
i'm curious what your idle rpms are
set to, in the vid it sounds perfect.
Well in the vid its the Brenspeed tune, default it set to 850rpm. And it holds steady. What I don't like with that tune, is when the engine is cold, and 1st startup, it jumps to 2000rpm. That's frickin loud.

So I tried my BAMA tune last night, 1st start with engine cold, only went up to 1000rpm, which is much more tollerable. But the car has a hard time staying running at that rpm. And with the BAMA tune the rpm dances between 500-850. Even after the car warmed up, I pulled into a parking lot and the car died.

So to more specific the misfire is exactly between 2500 - 3200rpms. Even with my BAMA tune it still did the same thing. Its really looking like a fouled plug.

So now the question is, if its a plug, is it possible it was already fouled and just wasn't noticeable till the cams were installed? I know nothing of spark advance/timing requirements.

I really don't want to remove the plugs, "just because of the famous two piece design" but I may have to. I found a deal on a set of HT's, one heat range colder plug, would that hurt my engine more by running those? Since I don't have nos or a supercharger?

Last edited by doctorj77; 03-03-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:50 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

doctorj, i know exactly what you're going
through, so i can say hang in there...

if it were my car, i would have to bite the
bullit and do the basics, which include
changing the plugs. the first order of business
would be to:

clean MAF
clean throttle body
change plugs (staying with HT1's)

then if things don't improve enough, schedule
a dyno tune with your favorite tuner and drop
it off for as long as he needs it.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:32 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

yes follow hammerons reccomendations and try to get the idle sorted out.
Im sure the dead spot can be dyno tuned out but no by a handheld,
As for the plugs GET THE FORD CARB CLEANER, others say other stuff but the ford stuff works really well. let it sit and then just crack the plugs and then add more carb cleaner so it can wick down into the threads... take your time and it should so well
No i dont see a problem with going one colder with plugs in your case
Old 03-03-2009, 12:33 PM
doctorj77
2nd Gear Member

Well I'm flat broke for the moment. So looks like it'll have to wait. It just kills me, $15 a plug roughly. I miss the good ol days of buy a set at Meijers and getting p'oed they cost $15, for all eight.

So I've been offered the suggestion of buying a can of Aero Kroil for the penetrating oil. I looked at their site kanolabs dot com

They advertise it free, but it still cost $16 of course.

For cleaning the MAF and throttle body, I've read somewhere there were a couple cleaners for that too, any suggestions?
Old 03-03-2009, 01:21 PM
doctorj77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07musclemustang
yes follow hammerons reccomendations and try to get the idle sorted out.
Im sure the dead spot can be dyno tuned out but no by a handheld,
As for the plugs GET THE FORD CARB CLEANER, others say other stuff but the ford stuff works really well. let it sit and then just crack the plugs and then add more carb cleaner so it can wick down into the threads... take your time and it should so well
No i dont see a problem with going one colder with plugs in your case
For the plugs, I can get a set of HT0's for $50 new. Someday I'll plan on a 100shot but thats a year away. So it would be to my benefit to do it now, but I don't want wreck the drivability in the meantime.

HT0's, naturually aspirated (Yay or Nay)?
Old 03-03-2009, 01:25 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

i say YAY
but as for the the penitrating for the plugs i would still go ford carb cleaner, its cheap too like only 5 bucks cheap.
anyways good luck
Old 03-05-2009, 11:22 AM
runner264

I'd pull a plug and check it out. If it looks fine then you should seriously look into getting a dyno tune. A tune not specific for your car especially with cams would be a waste. I'm sure with a good tuner he could work out that hesitation and gain you more power.

Honestly, why would anyone accept a car that hesitates when accelerated! This is not how a high performance car should perform. I could mash the accelerator on my Jetta and it would launch without hesitation. No way a Mustang should do this!

Quick Reply: Comp Thumprs Installed