Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 10:58 AM
SpazHairlip
I ♥ Acer

Default Winter Storage

Winter Storage

Well, I plan on keeping my GT out of the cold weather. I don’t mind a little rain as long as I keep the wax up, but my last Vert was destroyed (the top) by water freezing on it in the winters. I’m going to keep her garaged and covered for 3 or 4 months out of the year (New England).

My question is, what is the best way to keep a car stored during the 3 or 4 months of snow, Ice, slush and salt? Do I drain all the gas, drain other fluids, start it once a week, try and drive it on a nice dry day, rotate the tires, etc.

Any tips on how to keep her tiptop over the winter while she hibernates would be great.

Also, I did buy the 6 year 75K mile Premium warranty and the 3 year 45k mile maintenance coverage, so I shouldn’t have to spend a dime on the car for 6 years if something goes wrong (other then mods J )
Old 06-16-2005, 09:22 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: Winter Storage

just park it inside, disconnect the battery and use a good fuel stabilizer.

It will be fine for a few months, but I would start it every week or so and move it around a little bit to keep the tires healthy if you can. If not, don't worry about it.

It's good to drive it on the nicer, dry days too.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:37 PM
flyingt
2nd Gear Member

I heard someone here say park her on foam to avoid flat spots on the tires. They also have a trickle charger to keep the battery fresh. I plan on storing as well over winter since Ohio has some crap weather come Dec.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:30 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

I'm trying to remember what day winter is here in San Diego?????????????

Sorry, couldn't resist... I'm just glad my pony will be driven all 12 months of the year!!
Old 06-17-2005, 12:47 AM
budgy
1st Gear Member

I wish I had a second car so I wcould protect my car from the harsh winter here. But I suppose its almost less maintenance intensive to just buy winter tires every few years
Old 06-17-2005, 11:51 AM
WLDFILY

Sure ... rub it in. I ordered my car last May, did not get it until Dec 28th. I could not drive it until March April, had to wait for the snow to go away.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:19 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: WLDFILY

Sure ... rub it in. I ordered my car last May, did not get it until Dec 28th. I could not drive it until March April, had to wait for the snow to go away.
Ugghhhh, that sux... I am 46 years old, and have never lived where it snows. I intend on keeping that streak intact until I assume room temperature...
Old 06-17-2005, 01:36 PM
WLDFILY

I have always lived in the Pacific NW where we always get snow. I would love to see a winter with out the cold & white stuff.... that way I could drive my mustang all the time instead of putting her up for 6 or more months
Old 06-17-2005, 02:04 PM
delurker
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: don_w

I'm trying to remember what day winter is here in San Diego?????????????

Sorry, couldn't resist... I'm just glad my pony will be driven all 12 months of the year!!
I think it comes on a Thursday, but since it only happens once a year, I also forget.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:30 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

i have snow tires for my car. fug it. i drive her in teh snow all the time. [8D]

Quick Reply: Winter Storage