Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Boomtube alignment...very dissappointing

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 07:11 PM
scrmngt
1st Gear Member

Default Boomtube alignment...very dissappointing

Boomtubes came today...yea!

Started with the install on the drivers side...the pipe is touching the exhaust cut out!

The went to the passenger side...the inner bracket is close, but the outer bracket ain't even close! It's just about touching the underside of the trunk pan!

I did some searches and saw that others have had some problems...and some not. But I gotta say...this is ridiculous...a blind man could have gotten these closer! There is no amount of bending and tweeking of the rods or h pipe clamps that could get these even close. Did I get the wrong ones? Are there different ones for different years?

I'm either at the point where I'm going to send them back, or bring the welder home from work and start from scratch with new hangars...but it frosts my a$$ that I would have to do this and waste my time on something that should have been right in the first place. I do prototype metal fabrication for a living and having exhaust brackets either welded or bent up correctly is NOT rocket science.

Anyone have this bad of an experience? Any advice? Is it worth trying to send these back and get another pair? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:58 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

mine did not line up perfect either, but not as bad as yours. mine lined up w/ tweaking the x pipe and having a friend hold things in place and using jackstands to rest the boomtubes on when tightening up, but yours sounds worse. i would say you gotta bend the hangers to get them on good.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:16 PM
baddger

Did you buy them brand new from Ninosports? Mine came in and fit without any hanger bending needed nor scuffed tips
I would send them back for sure but dont give up sound is too damn good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dekgIWK8_FY
Old 04-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

It's a matter of loosening both the midpipe and axleback clamps and doing some fine tuning of these joints to get them to line up. There's a write-up in TacoBill's sticky for installing the FRPP/Borla Stingers that applies to most any system.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:33 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I guess I got lucky. My booms lined up just fine with no tweaking at all.

Damn I love the boomtubes. Just thinking about them makes me want to go out and start the car.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:12 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

The 07+ has different exhaust hangers... these 'should' fix that problem up...

http://www.ninosport.com/Pypes-Exhau...g-V8-V6-HFM60K
Old 04-09-2009, 01:23 PM
BRENSPEED
Former Sponsor

Did you try adjusting the over axel tubes to compensate for the horible alignment. But you may have just gotten a bad set from mac. I would defently call whoever you bought them from and see if they have any suggestions. I would not cut/modify them before you know if you can return them. That sucks I have installed tons of boom tubes and never had a alignment problem.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

My Boomtubes had a horrible fit also. I put my Boomtubes on and adjusted at the midpipe. The midpipe adjustment allowed me to get the length of the tips sticking out from the cut-outs even. But no amount of midpipe or over-axle adjusment was going to get the tips centered in the cut-outs.

So....I had to bend the sh*t out of the hangers. It looks perfect now but required multiple installations and removals to get them bent just right.

Dealing with the poor fitment was worth it once I got the hangers bent right. The exhaust note is the best out of all the systems I have tried (5 to date)!
Old 04-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

My passenger side stuck out about 1/4" further than the driver's side and hung about the same amount lower. I didn't have any jacks or jackstands at the time so I just took it to the muffler shop. $30 later it was all fixed up and perfect.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I had one side that stuck out about 1/4" - 1/2" farther than the other which itself was lower. I was able to raise and extend the latter by adjusting both the axleback-to-midpipe and midpipe-to-H pipe joints. Now they're dead-on.

Quick Reply: Boomtube alignment...very dissappointing