Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Predator with C&L or K&N intake?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 08:11 PM
5speed
2nd Gear Member

Default Predator with C&L or K&N intake?

Just want to get your guys opinions. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2005, 09:04 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Predator with C&L or K&N intake?

I went with the C&L because I believe it is constructed better than the K&N. The C&L is cast aluminum (vs. plastic) and the filter heat shroud appears to be a better design as well. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:19 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Sounds like a good answer , however what is the difference in the cones'. They have different sizes?
Old 06-20-2005, 11:42 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

Yup, probably just the size... the K&N looks a bit smaller.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:37 AM
Zeio
1st Gear Member

I would go with the C&L over the K&N for build quality and performance. I plan on actually going with the Steeda because of the design and performance and the fact that it gets the same performance increase by using the stock inlet tube minus the carbon trap. I talked to one of the guys at Steeda about their intake versus the C&L and basically their reason behind using the factory inlet tube over an aluminum (C&L) was to avoid a heat sink that would negate the cold air effect. He said if a metal/aluminum inlet tube increased the power, they would use one, but so far they haven't seen the need to change. I guess they just upgraded their mass air sensor housing to 90mm as well, whatever effect that may have I don't know. Still expect around 30 rwhp though. That being said, C&L was my first choice, but after learning more I will probably go with the Steeda. After all, I can always add the C&L inlet tube to the Steeda CAI if I feel the need later.

Old 06-21-2005, 01:55 AM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Zeio

basically their reason behind using the factory inlet tube over an aluminum (C&L) was to avoid a heat sink that would negate the cold air effect.
Did they give any indication about airflow turbulence within the pipe? The aluminum is much smoother with less airflow disturbance. I avoided a discussion on thermodynamics earlier... I don't want to get too technical on fluid dynamics either. LOL
Old 06-21-2005, 02:44 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

Your not going to start talking about laminer flow or anything are you? Because that is the limit of my airflow understanding... just cus I fly planes don't mean I completely understand what keeps them in the air...
Old 06-21-2005, 03:38 AM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Herknav

Your not going to start talking about laminer flow or anything are you? Because that is the limit of my airflow understanding... just cus I fly planes don't mean I completely understand what keeps them in the air...
Drink a toast to Bernoulli! lol
Old 06-21-2005, 04:16 AM
Zeio
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: don_w
Did they give any indication about airflow turbulence within the pipe? The aluminum is much smoother with less airflow disturbance. I avoided a discussion on thermodynamics earlier... I don't want to get too technical on fluid dynamics either. LOL
Don, they didn't, but you do have a valid point. I agree the C&L aluminum pipe would appear to have less resistance than the stock inlet tube. I'm not sure what offsets the other, the increased air resistance of the plastic slotted stock inlet tube, or the temperature of the aluminum C&L tube. Most likely they both produce similar results regardless, but it is an interesting thing to consider. It comes down to only the C&L and Steeda for me, for now I'll go with the Steeda for flexibility, but both are fine mods IMO.

edit: however i'm not so sure I should be debating this with you anyway don, you have the engineering degree, and probably know a hell of a lot more about cars than i do
Old 06-21-2005, 04:18 AM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

Either way.. you will notice more ponies under the hood!

Quick Reply: Predator with C&L or K&N intake?