Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

oil/oil filter opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 12:55 AM
Lankers
1st Gear Member

Default oil/oil filter opinions

What do you guys recommend for the 05 GT's? I've always used Castrol GTX and Fram filters, but it seems like everything is going to synthetics now. I'm a noob to synthetics.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:07 AM
nicksfoursix
1st Gear Member

I've heard that synthetics possess lubrication superiority over conventional oils in both cold start-ups and high temperature engine operations. I'm sure that someone can chime in with more detailed info about oil pros & cons.
In my '05 GT, I use Motorcraft 5W20 Synthetic Blend and I filter it through a Ford Racing oil filter. Oil & filter get changed every 3,000 miles.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:32 AM
08GT4U
2nd Gear Member

i use royal purple 5w20 and k&n oil filter.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:04 PM
mustangtestuser
2nd Gear Member

I've been using Mobil 1 5w-20 with a Mobil 1 filter, since I can get both locally. I change the oil every 5,000 miles or one year, which ever comes first.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:15 PM
Cobrakev
3rd Gear Member

Fram filters, the worst filter made. JMO I use Mobil 1 oil and Motorcraft filter. You can get both at Wally World.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:24 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I like the wix filters, same as Napa gold filters.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:33 AM
Lankers
1st Gear Member

thanks for the input guys. I think I'm going to give royal purple and a K&N filter a whirl if I can find some locally. How many quarts do the new gt's use?
Old 05-25-2009, 01:06 AM
TorchedGT
1st Gear Member

I've been through book loads of research into all of these oils when I had my 97 M3 - due to the fact that the car would run hot in the summer (we're talking 110 heat index - very humid.) I had problems with my Mobil 1 15-50 sheering out and turning to water essentially, which is very frightening given the rather THICK rating of the oil. I'd get a flickering low oil pressure light at idle in some situations. I eventually discovered a TRUE Group IV (full syn, versus the Mobil 1's Group III) German oil; LubroMoly Vollsynthese 5-40 which was WORLDS better (both in flow AND sheer protection.. somehow?) compared to the Mobil 1.

..alas, the don't make anything in a weight I can use with the Mustang.

Anyways I was hesitant to go back to Mobil 1 - but after trying to find the perfect oil for the Mustang, I'm back again (after all, it's a different car, different generation motor, and has far different requirements/oil suggestions.)

It's tricky, because many say these motors aren't "supposed" to run on the suggested 5-20 - it's simply marketing and politics revolving around the EPA stuff.. with this in mind, I went with royal purple 5-30, and was NOT impressed. Granted the car was stock back then, but it just didn't feel the same.

So - I went looking for a thinner oil, which also offered the protection of something thicker than the factory-suggested 5-20, and ended up with this..

Mobil 1 0W-30 "Advanced Fuel Economy"
The name is just marketing, if you read into it a bit however, there's a performance justification behind the name.

It'll cover the full OEM range as well as offering you better cold starting flow as well as resisting high temperature sheer compared to the 5-20. It's supposed to have friction-reducing additives as well, but who knows. The important thing is that it's got a LOT of new OEM certifications, which is especially interesting considering it is NOT a conventional OEM weight oil.

FWIW it's also pretty cheap (at wall mart at least) for a full syn oil - around $6.50/qt if you go with the big jug!

As far as filters go.. it was REALLY hard for me to pay twice as much for the Mobil 1 filter, but just picking it up you could tell this was the real deal.. didn't have that cheap tin/paper feel. It's got a synthetic blend filter media material that claims to maintain flow while blocking significantly more particles per-pass than conventional media.

Seemed to free things up in the motor a bit.. idle sounds better than with the royal purple (which seemed excessively thick) and mileage seemed to go up a tad.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:10 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I know the '07's came with synthetic blend from the factory and I assumed the '05's on up thru the current model did also.

If you're using dino oil like the GTX (that's a great dino oil), I wouldn't go beyond 3,000 miles with your oil and filter changes no matter what dino oil you're using. With blends, you can go 5,000 to 7,500 miles and with synthetics you can go 8,000 miles or more but might want to change the filter half way depending on what filter you choose. Fram filters have received bad press but I've used them in the past for years on engines that went well over 200,000 miles with no problems.

All oils, when changed at the appropriate frequency for that oil type and you're driving habits PLUS a good filter, will provide you equivalent service and protection. It's a matter of preference.

I use Amsoil's 0W20 ASM oil and their Ea filter at 8k-10k changes in the Stang. I use Mobil1 oil and filter in my truck at 8k changes (since I tow frequently).
Old 06-11-2009, 01:18 PM
Leoleo
3rd Gear Member

Oil really is not the main choice for a daily driver. As long as you are not racing the car, get 5W20 for the V8. If you use Dino Oil change at 5000 miles, if synthetics you can go 8000 to 10,000 miles. The FILTER is the thing.
MobleOil and K&N are made by the same company and use the same insides.
Bosch and Motorcraft are also the same inside.

Check out this website http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html It has good information.

Quick Reply: oil/oil filter opinions