Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

quality of gears

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 11:35 AM
gils maui pony
1st Gear Member

Default quality of gears

I'm hearing that there IS a difference in the gears in terms of whine.
What is the concensus of gear quality?

Gil
Old 07-23-2009, 11:39 AM
gils maui pony
1st Gear Member

Default 4.10s

I've decide to go with 4.10s..Is there a chance of greater whining? like my wife in a lower emotional state.......
Old 07-23-2009, 12:31 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

If they are installed right then you dont have to worry about gear whine.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:50 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilverNGrey4.6s
Yea I'm beginning to think that that's the magic statement when it comes to gears.

However, based on mileage, the installer may have a hard time preventing whine with any set of gears. I only had 11,500 miles on my car when the 4.10's went in. My installer told me that he wouldn't have to replace bearings/shims etc and that anything under 30K miles is pretty much a no-brainer. After that level, you're going to have to replace the bearings, shims, etc which compounds the difficulty in reducing whine.

The consensus around here is that FRPP is a safe bet in terms of gears not being pre-disposed to whining. Not that it's been proven beyond a doubt that the Motive gears are predisposed to whining, but I feel like the incidence is higher with Motive based on what I've read here on the forums and elsewhere.

I had to baby my gears at first. My installer told me that the only break-in necessary after his install was that I drive around and get the gears good and hot (20-40 miles) and then park the car for at least 18-24 hours. Good advice as it's now been on the north end of 400 miles since the gears went in, and I will happily report that I've had no whine.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:56 PM
2007VistaBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

+1 on installed correctly or not determines gear whine however East87 is correct also in stating that based on mileage other parts may need to be replaced as well for proper and quiet operation. As for quality always go for FRPP gears they're at a competitive price and by far the best quality because these gears such as 3.73's for example do find their way into production vehicle such as Bullitt and trucks with tow packages so they have to be durable.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:03 AM
gils maui pony
1st Gear Member

i'm a city slicker and only whant to open up the arsenal now and then. I have an auto which some say might be a bit to low

stock auto,3.31...stock standard 3.55 ..why? so my voodoo math tells me an auto with a 3.90 should pull the same as 4.10 standards right?

I just installed BAMAChips and am very impressed.....rooling 30mph 2nd and 3rd want to compete a little to aggresivly for me....I'll work it out...

is there anyone with a 4.6 auto CAI/BAMA, transgo reprgrammer,that also has either 4.10 or 3.90.? I'd like more info...

Aloha,Gil
Old 07-24-2009, 09:16 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by SilverNGrey4.6s
This guy must sell them.
"not to worry, they wont whine"

The
quality of
the gear and
the machines they
are manufactured on
and the quality of the
material used along with
the heat treating process
and the draw back tamps,
there are a lot of factors
that are out of the installers
hands that can contribute
to gear whine and
early failure.

Avoid MOTIVE and be aware that some FRPPs are
Motives being resold by Ford. Look for the M stamp.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:33 PM
gils maui pony
1st Gear Member

Default anyone with an automatic with 4.10s?

thanks east87 and everyone else.

the more I investigate this the more I'm dumb fonded!.....my car has 20k but I'm going to go with the full change out for insurance....

I'm haveing an A.D.Disorder moment trying to decide which ratio to go with..I don't know anyone here who has my set-up to test drive....the dealer here came up with this mumbo jumbo lame explanation that the reason of there having two ratios 3.31/Auto..3.55/standard is because people who buy Auto are less likely to want that much of launch????? [ tea totelers]

east87, is your car Auto? or has anyone been in several mustangs with different ratios?....preferably 3.90--4.10s
Old 07-24-2009, 07:47 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gils maui pony
the dealer here came up with this mumbo jumbo lame explanation that the reason of there having two ratios 3.31/Auto..3.55/standard is because people who buy Auto are less likely to want that much of launch????? [ tea totelers]

Yeah that is a lame explanation the dealer is giving. The ACTUAL reason has to do with different ratios in the transmissions. The manual's 5th is .68 and the auto is like .74 or .75, something like that. So the auto needs a higher gear (smaller number) to keep the RPMs down to be similar to the manual for better HWY MPG.

I've decided since I have an auto I'll get 3.73 since I do a lot of 70+ mph driving. The O/D RPMs there will be pretty similar to a manual with 4.10. Not exactly but close enough. The only thing is I was thinking of having my uncle (master certified tech) in Houston (200 miles away from me) install them. But I'm kind of worried about that long drive home at 70-80 mph for several hours. I don't want the gears to develop a whine so bad it's like having a whipple right next to my head at full boost constantly.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:53 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gils maui pony
thanks east87 and everyone else.

the more I investigate this the more I'm dumb fonded!.....my car has 20k but I'm going to go with the full change out for insurance....

I'm haveing an A.D.Disorder moment trying to decide which ratio to go with..I don't know anyone here who has my set-up to test drive....the dealer here came up with this mumbo jumbo lame explanation that the reason of there having two ratios 3.31/Auto..3.55/standard is because people who buy Auto are less likely to want that much of launch????? [ tea totelers]

east87, is your car Auto? or has anyone been in several mustangs with different ratios?....preferably 3.90--4.10s
Mine's a manual. They say 3.73's for autos and 4.10's for manuals, but those with auto 4.10's really like it.

I was in a car with 3.73's, but he also had a big fat Whipple under the hood, so I can't give an accurate account for how it felt (butt-dyno wise)

Quick Reply: quality of gears