Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

When do YOU shift (manuals)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 02:05 PM
05GTVERT

Default RE: When do YOU shift (manuals)

Normal driving around 3k to 3500, since i have a tune, when getting on it around 6300-6500, car still feels like its pulling,but i dont want to take it any further
Old 07-11-2005, 04:04 PM
2Stangs
I ♥ Acer

Since no one wants to really know how we all baby our cars, I'll tell you how I accel in my car, when I need to go fast.

From Neutral to 1st: I feel the need to go so I shift. Min 2000 when I release the clutch. TCS off, watch the tire spin.
From 1st to 2nd: There's a point right about 6400 where it just wants to throw the stick out of gear, shift them.
From 2nd to 3rd: I usually seem to notice less pull after 6300 than if I were to drop to 3rd, so around 6200-6300.
From 3rd to 4th: Honestly, haven't hit the upper end of 3rd, came pretty close when I dropped it into 4th at 110.

At 110, I'm not watching the RPM's anymore.

I have much room for improvement, but the only thing you can do is get out and practice.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:31 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: don_w

ORIGINAL: Orion_240
As for when the auto shifts, I have no idea when I'm pedal-to-the-metal. And normal shifts are so smooth I find it hard to tell if it's even shifting!
I was planning on trying to watch the tach/speedo at the track Friday night to see when my auto shifts at WOT. But, I was having so much fun, I forgot to watch. LOL. I think I may try to set-up a "helmet cam" to record it during a run. hehehe
After reflashing with the new Predator r22 upgrade this morning, and verifying that all the auto trans shift points were set at just under 6000rpm, I went for a test drive. On an open stretch, I watched the tach and it indeed shifted at about 6000rpm into 2nd, 3rd and 4th. All is good...
Old 07-11-2005, 09:20 PM
showam1
I ♥ Acer

I tend to shift very early when normal driving, maybe 2800
When I get on it, I take her to just under redline, by the time shift is complete I'm on the line.
I still havent performed a performance style launch, tires don't seem to
have the meat required for one.
This post brings up a nit pick of mine, the damn tach is on the wrong side when driving hard, it needs to
be switched as my left hand is always in front of the tach, while my right hand is on the shifter leaving the MPH
guage open, I would much rather see my tach!
Old 07-11-2005, 09:33 PM
2Stangs
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: showam1

I tend to shift very early when normal driving, maybe 2800
When I get on it, I take her to just under redline, by the time shift is complete I'm on the line.
I still havent performed a performance style launch, tires don't seem to
have the meat required for one.
This post brings up a nit pick of mine, the damn tach is on the wrong side when driving hard, it needs to
be switched as my left hand is always in front of the tach, while my right hand is on the shifter leaving the MPH
guage open, I would much rather see my tach!
When driving hard, the needle rises high enough around 5000 rpm's for you to see it past your hand, but I agree it isn't on the normal side.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:18 PM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

I'm still not used to it.. and to complicate matters, it is reversed from my WRX... and I drive them both pretty much equally...
Old 07-12-2005, 03:16 PM
showam1
I ♥ Acer

True, but I would prefer it to be in plain sight and not have to search for it.

[quote]
When driving hard, the needle rises high enough around 5000 rpm's for you to see it past your hand, but I agree it isn't on the normal side.

Old 07-12-2005, 06:01 PM
SpazHairlip
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Mr. Meany

I only shift at the recommended fuel economy points in the manual - 11 - 19 - 30 - 41...

yeah, right, when I am totally baked maybe! LOL

Don't laugh, I use those shift points a lot when I'm in traffic and trying not to watch my gas gauge drop like a stone. There's been many a time when I'm crusing at 45mph in 5th gear. It just doesn't make any sense to be stuck in slow traffic with the car running 4.5k rpm at 40mph.

When I get on her though, I'll take it to redline. I usually back off of 3rd gear around 90mph, unless I'm at the track. But I can't even do that anymore cause I have a Vert and I ran faster then 13.49 so now I need a roll cage
Old 07-12-2005, 08:58 PM
Martin123
2nd Gear Member

Normally shift @ 3k during normal driving but when I really pound her I’m shifting at around 5k and it seems that I’ve been really hitting that gas pedal lately. Every time I get a chance, I like to see what she can do….. Am I being to rough on her?
Old 07-13-2005, 02:53 AM
Demario

Thanks! My bad. I didn't get that far.

Quick Reply: When do YOU shift (manuals)